• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crazy backyard story

sureshot

I’m walking through the kitchen with my bowl of cereal this morning, and I look out the window to see a big buck bolting down a field, heading towards our subdivision. I grab the camera and run outside to get a picture, but I don’t see him anywhere. All of a sudden, I look down, and he’s in the pond swimming towards me. I take a few pictures, and then think, go grab the bow. So I grab the bow and run back out there. He didn’t get out of the water and is swimming the other direction. I look at the field to the west and there’s another buck standing there. So as far as I can tell, the buck in the pond got his butt kicked and he had to hide in the water. The other buck eventually took off to the west (that’s the field/woods picture). I decided shooting a big one out of my pond isn’t really a hunting/bragging deer to claim, so I didn’t shoot it and let it go.
b78f365199b4859c7b7c748a9432c4c3.jpg
999563cb1c658c5bc52483d3807fdac0.jpg
202096d5e4c103518fb3d369d9e01f3f.jpg
7474ef02a033e2e5b40be717179e81b0.jpg
a30ba64e23d4f9d5ede453134c898394.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I saw him last week on the bean field. I can't get permission to hunt back there. You can see the farmer has a gravity wagon blind out in one of the pictures. He's a 170" buck for sure.
99016e9999a886a9d3c1df1a6c1e7273.jpg

Dang, how big was the buck that kicked that guys’ butt?!
He's the one in the far away running picture. To be honest when I saw him standing by the field edge, I didn't think he was that big. I hadn't figured out what was going by then, and I didn't pay him much attention. It's possible there were 2 bucks there and I was seeing the other one. When he was running away, I could tell he was big, and that's when I got that picture, but I had to wait for him to get past those trees, so he was pretty far away.

No rule in iowa, maybe because the water is a lot colder??

It didn't feel like fair chase. I ran and grabbed my bow, but my thought was at least grab it and have the debate along the way. I debated and decided not to. It would have been a cool story to go with the buck, but not something I wanted to put on my wall to claim being a great hunter.

No rule in iowa, maybe because the water is a lot colder??

It didn't feel like fair chase. I ran and grabbed my bow, but my thought was at least grab it and have the debate along the way. I debated and decided not to. It would have been a cool story to go with the buck, but not something I wanted to put on my wall to claim being a great hunter.

I applaud your decision.

I don't discourage folks from legally taking any legal deer, but encourage doing it on your terms and to your standard.

Sometimes it seems the balance leans more towards the "trophy" rather than the hunting experience. I think folks would enjoy hunting more if they tuned out the noise some.

I could see how this sighting might have turned into something more satisfying for attempting to take the buck, situationally. But it's refreshing, imo, that you held off from a fish in a barrel shot, by your own personal standards given the way it played out.

Pretty cool story, beautiful buck, and again, a commendable decision. Thanks for sharing.

Far as i know, its illegal in most every state in the southeast. Except maybe Louisiana, its the wild west down there lol. Good on you for being ethical.

I applaud your decision.

I don't discourage folks from legally taking any legal deer, but encourage doing it on your terms and to your standard.

Sometimes it seems the balance leans more towards the "trophy" rather than the hunting experience. I think folks would enjoy hunting more if they tuned out the noise some.

I could see how this sighting might have turned into something more satisfying for attempting to take the buck, situationally. But it's refreshing, imo, that you held off from a fish in a barrel shot, by your own personal standards given the way it played out.

Pretty cool story, beautiful buck, and again, a commendable decision. Thanks for sharing.
100% agree.
Great ethics and decision @sureshot.

Back