• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossbow guys - how do you re-cock??!!

putt4doe

Vendor Rep
How are you guys re-cocking your crossbows in the saddle? Pics would be helpful!!

How are you guys re-cocking your crossbows in the saddle? Pics would be helpful!!
If using a platform there should be no problems. Without a platform I use my lightest weight bow....#125 barnett C6. If that is not an option then I make sure to practice .....I use a de-cocking bolt from my stand and then re-cock for practice. A video or pictures would definitely help but, sorry. Be safe !

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I am curious about this also. I have been trying to visualize a way to cock my 270# Excalibur Micro while in the saddle but, so far all my visualizations end with me swinging wildly around the tree and my crossbow flying off through the woods. Needless to say I haven't tried it yet.

I am curious about this also. I have been trying to visualize a way to cock my 270# Excalibur Micro while in the saddle but, so far all my visualizations end with me swinging wildly around the tree and my crossbow flying off through the woods. Needless to say I haven't tried it yet.
Sounds like you may need to get a hand crank. My excalibur is #175 and I can cock it in the saddle, but it is 36 inches axle to axle....Ibex. I think Red and Hambone use the Excalibur....hopefully they have some advice ?

Sounds like you may need to get a hand crank. My excalibur is #175 and I can cock it in the saddle, but it is 36 inches axle to axle....Ibex. I think Red and Hambone use the Excalibur....hopefully they have some advice ?

My crossbow is my backup so I have only hunted with it a couple times. I'm trying to remember what I did. I don't know if I ever cocked it in the tree, but I think I figured out that if I got my foot in the stirrup and settled that on a screw in step I would be able to do it.. but I don't know.

I think @hambone's advice would be to climb down and climb back up lol. I don't know if he has done it in the tree in a saddle. We'll have to see what he says.

@hambone?

It seems like the width of the crossbow will make this a challenge if you are using a cocking rope. I would say if you do not have the crank, you only get 1 shot? Unless you practice with one foot on peg and the other leg with foot in the stir up pointing off to the side of the tree, which makes dropping your xbow a real possibility. Unless I am missing something.

It seems like the width of the crossbow will make this a challenge if you are using a cocking rope. I would say if you do not have the crank, you only get 1 shot? Unless you practice with one foot on peg and the other leg with foot in the stir up pointing off to the side of the tree, which makes dropping your xbow a real possibility. Unless I am missing something.

I have been trying to visualize putting a foot in the xbow stirrup and then putting your foot/stirrup against the tree and trying to lean back in some way to cock it. I think this may work with a lighter poundage compound xbow but, it makes me really nervous with my 270# micro. It something I plan on experimenting with but, haven't had a chance. For now my plan is one shot.

I do think if you use the stepp ladder for a platform it can be done but not sure with a screw in or ameristep.

My crossbow is my backup so I have only hunted with it a couple times. I'm trying to remember what I did. I don't know if I ever cocked it in the tree, but I think I figured out that if I got my foot in the stirrup and settled that on a screw in step I would be able to do it.. but I don't know.

I think @hambone's advice would be to climb down and climb back up lol. I don't know if he has done it in the tree in a saddle. We'll have to see what he says.

@hambone?

I always cock my Excalibur on the ground then pull it up with my rope. I use the rope cocking device. However, I will admit that I have forgotten to cock it on the ground a few times. I have cocked it in the tree, in my tree saddle but it's difficult. I put my right foot in the stirrup reach down with one hand and pull the rope part way up until I can grab the other handle and finish the job. Doing on the ground is easier and safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I use a crossbow I use a hand crank on my Parker Thunderhawk but before I hurt my back it was not a problem cocking it with a rope up in the tree in the saddle. Put my hands on either side of the bridge and use my steps to stand on I had no problem cocking the crossbow.

Dang I just stuck my foot in the stirup and pulled. I put my left foot in and just pulled. Never gave it a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do think if you use the stepp ladder for a platform it can be done but not sure with a screw in or ameristep.
Ameristeps are what I use and I use to I have no problem for a hurt my back. Go with a hand crank it's well worth the investment.

I have been trying to visualize putting a foot in the xbow stirrup and then putting your foot/stirrup against the tree and trying to lean back in some way to cock it. I think this may work with a lighter poundage compound xbow but, it makes me really nervous with my 270# micro. It something I plan on experimenting with but, haven't had a chance. For now my plan is one shot.

So, I’ve only hunted with a crossbow once and taken my vertical bow out the rest of the time, but the one time I did, I had to re-cock in the tree and it was Pretty tough. Basically had to put my foot in the stirrup, and then push my leg out in the air, while cocking. Made me feel like I was going to punt my crossbow out of the tree!! I guess you could tether it on there, just in case.

I was thinking that if I was on my platform, instead of steps, I could just stand up like a mini treestand and cock it, just not sure how I’d do it with screw-ins or ameristeps

So, I’ve only hunted with a crossbow once and taken my vertical bow out the rest of the time, but the one time I did, I had to re-cock in the tree and it was Pretty tough. Basically had to put my foot in the stirrup, and then push my leg out in the air, while cocking. Made me feel like I was going to punt my crossbow out of the tree!! I guess you could tether it on there, just in case.

I read a story where a guy was cocking an Excalibur Micro and right at the top of the pull the stirrup slipped off of his foot. The xbow shot straight up into the air over 20', knocking his hat off on the way up. I can't imagine what would have happened if the butt of the stock hit him in the head. That story is what makes me a little nervous trying to do it in the tree. I love my Excalibur but, the high draw weight is one of the negatives to a recurve xbow.

I read a story where a guy was cocking an Excalibur Micro and right at the top of the pull the stirrup slipped off of his foot. The xbow shot straight up into the air over 20', knocking his hat off on the way up. I can't imagine what would have happened if the butt of the stock hit him in the head. That story is what makes me a little nervous trying to do it in the tree. I love my Excalibur but, the high draw weight is one of the negatives to a recurve xbow.
Buy a cocking device Excalibur makes one out of all metal which is a lot nicer than some of the other plastic ones.

I have a mission sniper light, it came with a string cocking device, I've had no issues with the xop hand climber and a sit drag, my crossbow doesn't have that big foot loop in the front, you put your foot inside the bow, my other foot goes below it, I think I could do it with just ameristeps, I'll have to try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have cocked it in the tree . I usually cock my excalibur micro on the ground put the safety on and pull it up without an arrow in it.

The excalibur cocking aids are too big and too noisy

I have cocked it in the tree . I usually cock my excalibur micro on the ground put the safety on and pull it up without an arrow in it.

The excalibur cocking aids are too big and too noisy

On the ground or at the truck before I start walking in, I also put the arrow in once I'm in the tree. Of course, that doesn't help when you need to reload and shoot another deer, which actually happened to me on Wednesday. I used my hands, and I think it didn't fly as straight.

Back