• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossbow Realization

The_Fit_Ness_Monster

Ive been thinking this for a while now but i figured id ask to see if anyone has experienced this also and maybe shed light to some who dont know. So i dislocated my shoulder in 2016 mid season and since crossbows were legal at the time, i got an excalibur to finish the season. Before saying this i LOVE the excalibur, i argue its by far the best and most resilient bow on the market period, with that said i quickly realised the limitations of crossbows. Now growing up ive always heard and still do people complain anout how crossbows are basically a rifle and all that jazz. Im here to say in my assessment the only perk a crossbow offers is its already cocked. Other than that a compound is far superior, i can shoot further and more accurately with a compound even against raven crossbows and the like. Crossbow (at least mine) is heavy and much harder to hold steady for a good shot (you better have something to rest on). So I guess my question is, whats the schtick about crossbows being easier blah blah blah? I find them much more cumbersome and harder across the board than a compound. And im wondering, if like most things, if all the gripes came from a place of ignorance or not. Thoughts?

Wow.. Wednesday morning loaded question.
You can have an option one way or the other. I held one for a while. Lately I don't care. Get out there and enjoy hunting how ever you can legally do it in your state. The hunting community needs to stand together, or we will loose it all.

Wow.. Wednesday morning loaded question.
You can have an option one way or the other. I held one for a while. Lately I don't care. Get out there and enjoy hunting how ever you can legally do it in your state. The hunting community needs to stand together, or we will loose it all.
Yeahh and like i said i love my excalibur, but having it now and comparing it i ask myself why all the hate on crossbows lol

I bought one 10years ago, couldn’t stand to shoot it. Never made it to the woods…. I much prefer the shot sequence of string to my nose & tracking the arrow to target. But recently have come to realize I may be able to snag a few more hunts over the next few years as my college age kids come home to visit & are in town when no firearms season is open. So I may get one again for that purpose. But I don’t get the hate for them just not my thing…… but neither are treestands!

Crossbows are legal for anyone in Wisconsin. I bought a crossbow over a bow at a friend's recommendation. I agree with your assessment. It's not a rifle. If it were, I would have shot the tall 10 I had at 60 yards this fall without hesitation. I didn't even grab my crossbow because I knew it wasn't an ethical shot; I couldn't guarantee placement at that that distance.

I'm actually looking to buy a compound bow due to how unwieldy the crossbow is. I'll keep the crossbow, but it's not going to be my go-to.

I love vertical bow hunting the most and someday long to hunt complete trad. That being said, as a busy dude with a ft job and kids, I have begun to experience the pure and simple joy of hunting with a crossbow. Two springs ago I shot a spring gobbler with an HC Mini and it was a spectacular experience. This fall for a variety of reasons, (and although I hunted all early and mid season with my vertical bow.... ) I decided to go out with my crossbow just hunted two times with it and I had a blast taking a nice buck at almost 40 yards the second and only other time its been out in the woods this year. After those two experiences with the crossbow, I realized that using one really doesn't give you much if any of a decided advantage over a vertical bow except that you do not have to practice with one everyday. Which, in my opinion is a more ethical means of bowhunting if you are unable to shoot your bow and practice on a consistent basis. And I agree with you @The_Fit_Ness_Monster, it is much more cumbersome in many ways in the woods than a vertical bow....... giving you many other types of disadvantages that many assume are not a consideration or have enough "weight" to make a crossbow more of a challenge than commonly perceived.

Last edited:
So I guess my question is, whats the schtick about crossbows being easier blah blah blah?
My guess is that the same people who think it is easier to shoot a crossbow are the ones who grew up shooting a rifle rather than a vertical bow. The fundamentals of good marksmanship apply to rifle, crossbow, whatever you are "firing." I'd argue that the fundamentals also apply to shooting a vertical bow, but the familiarity and comfort isnt nearly as immediate as when transitioning from a rifle to a crossbow.

Did you grow up shooting a bow more often than a rifle?

I had a major shoulder surgery 3 years ago and could no longer pull my bow back. I ended up with a Hickory Creek Mini vertical crossbow based on Nutterbusters recommendation. It didn't seem as douchy because it still only shoots 300 fps and it shoots regular carbon arrows instead of bolts etc, so all my effective range on deer was still the same ole 30 yards and in which meant my scouting and set up still had to be on point. Well now my shoulder is healed and what do I always take out into the woods? The crossbow. I only hunt public and my average round trip hike in the woods is 3-4 miles per hunt. So it's not that im a lazy hunter like die hard compound shooters would have you believe. It's that I work so hard scouting and locating deer, hiking the long was around for good clean access, etc that when the moment of truth comes on that shot, my percentage of closing the deal with my crossbow is just so much higher. And if im doing all the other work, id rather stack those odds in my favor at the point of the shot. The OP is right the major perk is being cocked and locked at all times. This is a huge advantage! Ive been busted so many times while drawing back at the wrong time or drawing to early and then having to let down. The mini is very light as crossbows go at only 6+ pounds so it's really easy to hold steady even without a rest. Another advantage. The only disadvantage to me is that it shoots so well that I don't really have fun practicing with it. Shoot a few to make sure the scope is still dialed in and then thats it. I still practice with my compound a lot cuz it's fun, but when it comes to stacking 7-10 deer in the freezer every year, the crossbow gets the nod every time.

My guess is that the same people who think it is easier to shoot a crossbow are the ones who grew up shooting a rifle rather than a vertical bow. The fundamentals of good marksmanship apply to rifle, crossbow, whatever you are "firing." I'd argue that the fundamentals also apply to shooting a vertical bow, but the familiarity and comfort isnt nearly as immediate as when transitioning from a rifle to a crossbow.

Did you grow up shooting a bow more often than a rifle?
Yes, this year was 2nd deer ever taken with a rifle and my first deer rifle ever purchased, killed first deer at 13 with recurve, didnt pick up compound until 16 or 17 and until ive grown up and until this year ive always thought rifles are cheating, still do a little but i also thought the same thing going from recurve to compound.

I picked up a cheap $250 Centerpoint Sniper 370 crossbow last year. It thumps the target out to 50 yards and with more accuracy than I can shoot with my compound. But it’s on the heavy side and kind of awkward to carry compared to a rifle or my compound bow. I still wouldn’t shoot past 30-40 yards at a critter. Closer if it’s offhand. I think maybe people assume because you shoulder the crossbow and have a scope that they are like rifles. I even saw someone compare them to a shotgun recently. Realistically you’re probably only going to get one shot off at a deer. Even with a crank it will take longer to reload than a compound. But it’s nice taking it out of the case and just checking the zero. I still shoot my compound more because I don’t get a lot of pleasure out of target shooting with the crossbow.

Those same people complaining will join the orange army as soon as possible but are morally opposed to crossbows. Hunt with whatever is legal that you can make an ethical kill with.

I recently picked up a mini, because I have come to realize (now that I've shot a few) that I enjoy killing, butchering, and eating deer. I also enjoy archery so have no plans to get rid of the compound, somewhat the opposite, I hope to pick up a trad bow this summer, pending impending separation and all that comes with it financially. They all have their purposes and they all are fun. Shoot what's legal and enjoy it.

That said, my opinion is basically the opposite of yours, the crossbow is sooooo much easier to make a consistent kill shot, particularly for a newer or less likely to practice on the regular hunter (meaning someone who's form sucks and is not fully consistent, or hasn't bothered/doesn't know how to tune arrows etc). I'm shooting inside 40 yards with both this year At those ranges I'd bet the average hunter is more or equally accurate with a crossbow than a compound 99times out of 100.

I find myself recalling that phrase about opinions now as well...

I recently picked up a mini, because I have come to realize (now that I've shot a few) that I enjoy killing, butchering, and eating deer. I also enjoy archery so have no plans to get rid of the compound, somewhat the opposite, I hope to pick up a trad bow this summer, pending impending separation and all that comes with it financially. They all have their purposes and they all are fun. Shoot what's legal and enjoy it.

That said, my opinion is basically the opposite of yours, the crossbow is sooooo much easier to make a consistent kill shot, particularly for a newer or less likely to practice on the regular hunter (meaning someone who's form sucks and is not fully consistent, or hasn't bothered/doesn't know how to tune arrows etc). I'm shooting inside 40 yards with both this year At those ranges I'd bet the average hunter is more or equally accurate with a crossbow than a compound 99times out of 100.

I find myself recalling that phrase about opinions now as well...
Yeah agreed from that angle, for a new hunter it would be ideal definitely due to much shorter learning curve. And i don't hate crossbows i love mine and what it potentially brings. I was just wondering why i always heard people talk about how crossbows are “cheating” yet in the bow world i feel as though the most deadly (to the seasoned person) would be the modern compound.

I shoot a Ravin. I like it, it’s legal, and I don’t feel the need to preface my mention of it’s use with “well, I blew out my shoulder so now I have to use a crossbow….but, but, I‘d much rather use my compound.” You pick your legal weapon and I will pick mine and I really don’t care what you think of my choice, just like I don’t care what you choose as long as it‘s legal.. That said, a crossbow is easier use, especially if you are sitting in a climber with a rail. Not quite as easy shooting out of a saddle as you are just slightly better than free hand using the rope to try and steady your aim on what is a fairly heavy piece of gear. That limits my range to 40yds tops. So, comparative to a compound in that respect. I would offer that given the speed of the crossbow, precise yardage is not as critical as the drop isn’t as large. Penetration is not a problem with the kinetic energy of the cross bow if you are using the right head, even with mechanicals. Make no mistake, you still have to put it in the boiler room to kill him, a crossbow isn’t magic. Biggest advantage is….you don’t have to move to draw. That’s a significant advantage, although not as big as it once was given the huge let off’s of todays compounds that allow the shooter to draw earlier and hold the draw, but it still an advantage. Just my .02.

I had such inconsistent shooting success with my compound this entire year that I decided to focus on the crossbow during the height of the rut here. I shot my buck this year with the crossbow and it was fun! Don’t regret it one bit. It took the anxiety of making a low confidence bad shot with my compound bow completely away and that’s exactly what I needed this season.

side confession…. I took my buck with a crossbow… out of my new Summit Viper SD climber. (!!!!!!) It was the most comfortable sit I’ve ever had in a tree. (And yes I still own and use a Novix Helo and an ESS Saddle with Predator XL.)

Last edited:
Seems we all chase simplicity and a easy set up. But grabbing a xbow is to easy? Versus tuning and hours of practice.
After my limb separation issues and I switched back to my xbow, I have been asking my self a similar question. Why even fix the bow? The crossbow kills em just as good as the bow did. I have Killed more with the Xbow than a regular.
I'll have to think on this some more..........

I think at least some of the anti-xbow crowd is just talk. Either they haven't gave it a fair chance or they're embarrassed to admit they use or like it.

As far as in the tree, they both have +/- up to you to decide what works. I'm firmly in the use and do whatever makes you happy camp.

I also bought a crossbow first on the advice of a friend. Shot a compound a couple months later and loved it . Literally said I'd have never bought the xbow had I shot the wheelie first! ( I have converted that friend to a compound already hehehe)

Seems we all chase simplicity and an easy set up. But grabbing a xbow is to easy? Versus tuning and hours of practice.

This is assuming the crossbow isn’t out of time. Correct that there is no archers paradox with a rail based crossbow where the bolt travels down the rail and also with models like Mission’s SUB-1 series and others where both cams are slaved to each other. However, many models are not and to ensure consistent accuracy, the cams must be timed so that you do not get left-right group spread down range AND you still must ensure that you’re shooting off the stiffest part of the arrow with carbon shafts. Namely, the stiff part of the carbon shaft straight down (at the 6 o’clock position) with the cock vane aligned with that position (ideally). Upon release, the string forces the shaft down on the rail the whole way along said rail during the shot cycle. In other words, you may have to index tune some of your bolts to bring in fliers just like shooting carbons from vertical bows.

Last edited:
Back