• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Custom Molded Steps for Climbing and ROS

Aksisu11

Vendor Rep
Hey guys myself and I guy I work with have been playing around with the idea of creating our own style of steps. Our goal was to create something that we could use as a ROS, and to climb a tree while using the swaider and knaider technique. My friend has a lot of experience in 3D printing and molding. He designed the step up in a CAD software, then 3D printed the step. Afterwards, he took the step and created a mold from the 3D printed version. Creating a mold allowed him make the steps with Glass filled nylon for strength applications. This thing is super strong and beefy. I don't see it breaking. Using a mold also allowed him to make these things super fast, and efficiently. It's kinda like plastic injection molding without the expensive machine, and tooling costs. Attached are pictures of it next to Bullman outdoors step to give it a side by side comparison. We wanted something is little larger to give our feet a little more room. Another thing we wanted was a spot to put our rope/tubular webbing to allow the Swaider and Knaider technique. We are very excited, and I thought I would share it with you guys. A single step weights .32 lbs, a bullman step weights right around .24lbs. Let me know what you guys think and if there are any adjustments you think we should/need to make going forward.

Attachments

• DIY_step_TK_side.jpg
    DIY_step_TK_side.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 269
  • DIY_step_TK_top.jpg
    DIY_step_TK_top.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 264
I like the idea of more foot space. I'm new to this, waiting to see what guys with experience think. Definitely going to keep up on this!

I personally would have copied a design that puts the step below the strap. For what you went with it looks great.

Last edited:
I personally would have copied a design that puts the step below the strap. For what you went with it looks great.
Can I ask why? I'm pretty new to steps, as I've always use platforms. Is there benefits from that design verses the strap under the step design?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Can I ask why? I'm pretty new to steps, as I've always use platforms. Is there benefits from that design verses the strap under the step design?

They seem to have much better lateral stability with the strap above. The bullman/silent approach steps have never been a favorite for a ROS. For a polymer step the ameristep seems to be the most preferred...

I've very impressed with what you guys have done. Keep up the good work!

The reason I don't like the design of the bullman step is because when you step on the step the bottom of the step acts as a pivot point and the step pulls away from the tree very easy. You need to get the strap very very tight to prevent this from happening.

I've very impressed with what you guys have done. Keep up the good work!

The reason I don't like the design of the bullman step is because when you step on the step the bottom of the step acts as a pivot point and the step pulls away from the tree very easy. You need to get the strap very very tight to prevent this from happening.
Thanks! We will continue to grind through this project :)
Thanks for the insight on the bullman design. I will let my friend know, and we can adjust the design a little bit maybe. I'm going to test the first step out tonight to see how it does first before we make any changes. I will keep you guys updated!

Thanks! We will continue to grind through this project :)
Thanks for the insight on the bullman design. I will let my friend know, and we can adjust the design a little bit maybe. I'm going to test the first step out tonight to see how it does first before we make any changes. I will keep you guys updated!

I had a hunch something like this was possible. Nice work!

Recommend reading through the “Calling all Ameristeps users” thread for features that are valued in a ROS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like @redsquirrel said the pull away from the tree is tough to stop with the strap below. I am also interested if the longer step will increase that gap. I would think that if the piece that was against the tree was longer and the step was shorter it would stop from pulling away. It changes the pivot point. its hard to tell from the pictures did you make both the step and the part that goes along the tree longer or just the step. Cant wait to see the results.

Its a cool design and if you rework it with the strap above you could put the hole for the aider further from the tree to allow space to get your feet in. That would add extra stress to the step however. Just a thought. It's funny you went that route though because I had just been in a place talking to a guy about CAD design services and 3D printing for the same reason.

It’s been pretty much covered by others. I have no personal experience with them other than watching others use them at saddlepalooza. It seems like the best thing about Bullman are they are available. All the other feedback I’ve gotten has been a mix of positive and negative but mostly negative. They work but the design isn’t as user friendly as others.

I wonder if you were to place a ratchet strap around the outside of the Bullman steps right at the 90 of the step, if that would secure it better for pulling away from the tree. And i mean after you use the provided strap to hang the steps from the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back