• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cutting Down My LW Sticks!

gcr0003

SH Member
Done before but I’m throwing up what I’m doing. Nothing ground breaking here, but fun to share.

I’m taking 3 full length sticks and cutting them down to two steps. I’m going to keep the original stick spacing of about 15.5”. I picked up two more brackets and a post and will make a 4th stick with the 2 remaining steps. I also have a mini stick with a scout that is about 16” long. I will add the last left over step to it.

First
Moving the brackets to the center
14D3FF27-8F45-47A9-B6F3-9FAEFEADD4A1.png
72EC46BA-2F93-443A-B4EB-E7BE6D9A26A1.png

This is kinda funny, cuz I just posted something similar. I like what you’ve done. I was contemplating getting some additional steps/brackets and building another mini stick with the left overs.

Next I lopped the top off about .25” above the top step (which is about an inch from the hole).

Then I measured and drilled holes for the button.

I added the single step to the scout stick and assembled everything back together.

I haven’t cut the clearance hole for the buttons yet because I have decided how I am going to pack them yet.

Here’s what they look like! Pretty well pleased with the profile and look.

6671A4F2-7949-4498-9F9E-07A881859337.pngF5AC649B-783A-4F14-8D65-420C49E57248.pngB894E290-DA11-4069-B3E8-466AB472243B.png955EBFDC-2E1F-489C-98E8-3A53CCE4B21E.pngDC3C40B6-1CF7-4842-BFAE-E5071311AA02.png

I’m not sure if I will paint them or not. I would like to silence them in some way.

Nice.

I ended up cutting an extra set of LW sticks I had down this week as well. I really like them. Much better packing. I may splurge and upgrade to the double steps at some point, but going to continue to use them as is for now.

e555e12e0759b052ffc96047d3c8b257.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure if I will paint them or not. I would like to silence them in some way.

I really like having the stick and the v-brackets wrapped in camo form. Does great.
One concern I see with your sticks is the versa button seems high. That’s why a lot of people get bottom kick out. I find that center or just a little above center really makes them bite to the tree on the top and bottom v-bracket. The closer to center the more the stick is able to flex, even if you can’t see the flex. And that flex is what makes it have a spring resistance, tightening your strap once you weigh it down.

Nice.

I ended up cutting an extra set of LW sticks I had down this week as well. I really like them. Much better packing. I may splurge and upgrade to the double steps at some point, but going to continue to use them as is for now.

e555e12e0759b052ffc96047d3c8b257.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@swampsnyper mine are fine but we need to warn this dude about button placement. His are below Center...

Finally got around to finishing these. I’ve climbed them about three times so far. They pack down nice and tight. I should probably camoform wrap these but Im just going to paint them for the time being. What grit sand paper does the aluminum like for spray paint? Is it worth a primer coat? Thanks.
A307E6C4-A720-4C1F-8F7D-715BB0621ADD.png20F2D87C-759D-4C6E-A880-E70AC4BEAA0E.png

Finally got around to finishing these. I’ve climbed them about three times so far. They pack down nice and tight. I should probably camoform wrap these but Im just going to paint them for the time being. What grit sand paper does the aluminum like for spray paint? Is it worth a primer coat? Thanks.
View attachment 41087View attachment 41088

If you don’t acid wash aluminum, I don’t think a primer will make much of a difference. But it’s just a stick. Just hit it with some paint and don’t worry about it scratching off.

I really like having the stick and the v-brackets wrapped in camo form. Does great.
Curious. Still able to stack? Wrap while fully assembled, or disassembled? How many rolls? How long does it hold up?

Perfect timing for this post. I have 3 used stock lone wolfs, and I caught them in every briar bush in NJ, just too long, and a few spots I wanted to be a little higher. Stock spacing seems inefficient, I'm 6'1". Debating if I should sell the sticks as is and buy 4 hawk heliums, but I want to customize to a 19" spacing, this seems to me the best compromise for packing and ease to hit 20'. I'm only willing to do aider on first step. Thinking double step on bottom of first step for aider, and on top step for all others. Should I pick up the hardware from doublesteps and go for it, or sell and buy? Also, why paint vs stealth strips? Thanks @gcr0003 for sharing.

Back