• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

cva muzzleloader advice please

justwcc

I need some advice. I am looking to purchase a new muzzleloader this year to replace my TC omega. I have decided on either the CVA optima V2/V2 LR or the CVA Accura MRX in 50 cal. I know I like this action as I have a Scout in 44 mag and I love the way it operates. If anyone has hands on experience with either/both of these rifles I would love to know if the Accura MRX is worth the extra money or is there not enough real world difference to justify it over the Optima V2. Thanks.

My brothers bought the V2 and I spent the extra $$$ for the Accura MR Nitrate, needless to say after 1 year they both sold their V2s and bought the Accura MR Nitrae also… the nitrate models are guaranteed never to rust, and that is a big plus especially when dealing with black powder.

IMO go with the Accura. It's a better barrel! The stock system is also better, but you do get a collapsible ramrod, so get a one-piece rod for cleaning and loading during sight-in.

I have an Accura MR-X in .45 cal and really like it. Put good glass on it and you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I have an Optima v2 and one of my hunting buddies has the accura. My gun took 4 shots to zero and his will not put 3 shots on a paper plate at any distance further than I can pee. He has spent at least the cost of the rifle trying different load and bullet combos and has yet to find a setup that will work. That is the only accura I have been around and like everything else , sometimes you just catch a lemon but his is bad.

I have an accura MR. I absolutely love that gun. The MRX is the newer model. If it’s half as good as my gun it will be amazing.

I have an Optima v2 and one of my hunting buddies has the accura. My gun took 4 shots to zero and his will not put 3 shots on a paper plate at any distance further than I can pee. He has spent at least the cost of the rifle trying different load and bullet combos and has yet to find a setup that will work. That is the only accura I have been around and like everything else , sometimes you just catch a lemon but his is bad.
That’s crazy, all of our shoot under 1moa.

IMO go with the Accura. It's a better barrel! The stock system is also better, but you do get a collapsible ramrod, so get a one-piece rod for cleaning and loading during sight-in.
This is a great point. I recommend the CVA Lifetime rod. Heavy but it should be the last muzzleloader rod you have to buy for cleaning or loading at the range.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Should be able to file a warranty claim! That's their Bergara barrel!

I laugh at his gun because I dad and I had matching 22's and one was skwerl hunting accurate with about any bullet you put in it. The other one was deadly accurate with 1 and only one bullet for several years, then it wouldnt shoot that accurately either.

I bought a Knight a few years back. The green mountain match grade barrel sold me. It’s been very good as far as accuracy. The only thing I don’t like is the thingys that hold the primers.

I need some advice. I am looking to purchase a new muzzleloader this year to replace my TC omega. I have decided on either the CVA optima V2/V2 LR or the CVA Accura MRX in 50 cal. I know I like this action as I have a Scout in 44 mag and I love the way it operates. If anyone has hands on experience with either/both of these rifles I would love to know if the Accura MRX is worth the extra money or is there not enough real world difference to justify it over the Optima V2. Thanks.
Nitride barrel would be the only case I could make for it. Honestly that muzzleloader will be close to touching holes in either configuration. But what you like.

Maybe he’s just a terrible shot lol, or something wasn’t tight on his scope base…
Just the opposite, he is an exceptional shot. IIRC, he actually put a second scope on it thinking maybe there was an issue with the first one. Didnt change a thing. One shot dead center and the next three may not even be on paper. He tried 5-6 different bullets and powder charges from 80-120 with each bullet and tried pellets. It's really odd because I dont recall ever hearing of one that just would not shoot at all but his wont. Kinda like the one 22 we had. He should have sent it back but he didnt. Just hunts with his old hawken if and when he ML hunts now.

Accura MR for sure. It's a straight shooter and it carriers very, very well for muzzleloader. It might be my favorite gun.

Accura... and blackhorn 209 as the powder....easy clean up, plus out performs every MZ I've owned out to 200 yards.

Another vote for the MRX, but I have mine in 45. I was shooting 3 triple 7 pellets last year. I am switching to Blackhorn 209 this year. Great gun!!!

If I didn't have a savage 220 for shotgun season, I would carry the MRX for general firearm also.

Just the opposite, he is an exceptional shot. IIRC, he actually put a second scope on it thinking maybe there was an issue with the first one. Didnt change a thing. One shot dead center and the next three may not even be on paper. He tried 5-6 different bullets and powder charges from 80-120 with each bullet and tried pellets. It's really odd because I dont recall ever hearing of one that just would not shoot at all but his wont. Kinda like the one 22 we had. He should have sent it back but he didnt. Just hunts with his old hawken if and when he ML hunts now.
Those barrels are great id absolutely send it in, they would make it right. I got into inline ML b/c of an old hawken sure ain’t going back

Back