• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Daisy chain versus cam cleat

Tylerhorner33

So I have a mini hawk with their standard button. I bought static line to use as a standard rope mod but now I’m one sticking and it seems really slow. I was thinking about switching the button to a cam cleat or getting an Amstel daisy chain instead. Any preferences or thoughts?

I think cam cleats suck (I would put amsteel in this category too when using it for this purpose). I have woven daisy chain on one of my sticks and I have regular LW strap on the other. I one stick with both and never disconnect the strap from the stick, just leave it loose and slide it up.

I think cam cleats suck (I would put amsteel in this category too when using it for this purpose). I have woven daisy chain on one of my sticks and I have regular LW strap on the other. I one stick with both and never disconnect the strap from the stick, just leave it loose and slide it up.
That’s kind of what I was imagining. Is it difficult to maneuver it if you have to detach it to go over branches?

No more difficult than any other attachment method. Going around limbs you’re going to have to unstrap, raid the stick and rest rap without dropping the stick. Which you have to do over and over with a cam cleat on limbless sections of the trunk.

this sure seems like the easiest and fastest way to do it. I’m playing with this same situation .
when you hang the stick, how loose do you leave the strap for initial attachment? I always try to make it tight as possible, but last time I left an extra loop(looped Hawk webbing strap on a helium stick) for slack and it stayed stuck to the tree good. I wonder if I could leave 3 or 4 so there will be more slack and easier to slide up……guess we can try it and see……..of course I’d have everything battened down when at hunting height.

I probably wouldn’t one stick without a Cam cleat either. It’s a must IMO…

Once you use a cam cleat you'll see why it's the G.O.A.T for one sticking...

(and you'll realize the reason for those who hate'em is because they're over the weight rating, lol :p)

this sure seems like the easiest and fastest way to do it. I’m playing with this same situation .
when you hang the stick, how loose do you leave the strap for initial attachment? I always try to make it tight as possible, but last time I left an extra loop(looped Hawk webbing strap on a helium stick) for slack and it stayed stuck to the tree good. I wonder if I could leave 3 or 4 so there will be more slack and easier to slide up……guess we can try it and see……..of course I’d have everything battened down when at hunting height.

You can leave it looser than you eyes will convince you is safe and have zero issues. In fact, I think it’s better to leave it a little loose as you will get more bite.

Back