• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Daisy chains

sdoyle1

I’ve got hawk helium sticks. Jx3 shows up tomorrow. Ready to start practicing climbing. I’ve never used sticks before. I want to use daisy chains. I’ve already made one just to get the hang of it. I’m wondering what everyone thinks the finished length should be. I’m ready to make some more. There is lots of public around where I hunt so I could be in lots of different trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve got hawk helium sticks. Jx3 shows up tomorrow. Ready to start practicing climbing. I’ve never used sticks before. I want to use daisy chains. I’ve already made one just to get the hang of it. I’m wondering what everyone thinks the finished length should be. I’m ready to make some more. There is lots of public around where I hunt so I could be in lots of different trees.

It depends on where you hunt. You can hunt any tree with a saddle. That being said some trees are easier to hunt than others. I prefer smaller diameter trees with a fork if possible, but if all you have in your area is larger trees then......any port in a storm. If you are making daisy chains then it is easy to make them at a reasonable length and carry a pouch of extensions that you can girth hitch to the daisy chains if necessary.

It depends on where you hunt. You can hunt any tree with a saddle. That being said some trees are easier to hunt than others. I prefer smaller diameter trees with a fork if possible, but if all you have in your area is larger trees then......any port in a storm. If you are making daisy chains then it is easy to make them at a reasonable length and carry a pouch of extensions that you can girth hitch to the daisy chains if necessary.

Never thought about extensions and that’s a great idea. Exactly the reason I asked. I didn’t get the answer I was looking for as to an exact length but now I’m not afraid of making them too short. Thanks again.

Another question on daisy chains. I watched several YouTube videos on making them. One guy made a nice video and very nice looking daisy chains. He started with a locked Brummell and then his bury on one end. He then folded rope in half and started daisy chain from the middle back towards his first loop and then did a bury back towards his first loop and other bury. It all looked very good but I’m just questioning if this makes the daisy chain weaker as between his first loop that attaches to the stick and his continuous loops he has a bury from both ends so essentially at some point between the buries there is only one thickness of rope. Am I flawed in my thinking that a daisy chain is actually stronger because the rope is doubled the full length?

Another question on daisy chains. I watched several YouTube videos on making them. One guy made a nice video and very nice looking daisy chains. He started with a locked Brummell and then his bury on one end. He then folded rope in half and started daisy chain from the middle back towards his first loop and then did a bury back towards his first loop and other bury. It all looked very good but I’m just questioning if this makes the daisy chain weaker as between his first loop that attaches to the stick and his continuous loops he has a bury from both ends so essentially at some point between the buries there is only one thickness of rope. Am I flawed in my thinking that a daisy chain is actually stronger because the rope is doubled the full length?

8' seems to be the norm for the versa straps and what I and most seem to be using and will fit around a 30" tree. The "typical" basketball size saddle tree requires about a 30" rope for reference. As far as the bury goes unless it's connected to the working load equally with the outer rope it will just be squeezed under tension and does nothing. The bury would have to be part of the brummel loop to be a working end. Another thought is if it's doing work and not equally it would create friction and damage. Maybe I'm not correct so JMO..

7/64 amsteel has a breaking strength of 1600 lbs so not necessary to double maybe it's to make it easier to handle.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

His way is actually better. Some people just wrap up the ends after the end of the daisy chain. this isn't nearly as strong as a bury. Either way, amsteel is way stronger than a cam buckle strap.

I have 6 ft. and 8 ft lengths and use the 6 ft. more. 6 ft. covers 95% of any tree I would climb.

I made daisy chains for my Heliums. I started with (3) 13' pieces of 1/4" Amsteel and ended up with ~6' 6" chains making them the way you describe. I did use tripple locks for each loop though. Hope this helps.

The first generation Hawk Heliums with the snap buckle (not versabutton) have straps that are 6 feet long. I'd never ran out of strap with those, so I went a little big and made my daisy chains 7 feet.

I don't climb trees that are so large in diameter that if I tried to bear hug it I'd peel off like a piece of dirty tape (I wanna at least be able to kinda half slide down if everything fails on me). Just a safety or paranoia thing for me. So, that is what guided me. Plus most of the public land forests here have been cut recently so I can almost always find a tree of my preferred diameter.

Unless you have a really big wingspan, I don’t see the need for anything longer than 6’. The size of tree you can climb is somewhat limited to your ability to reach around and grab your rope/strap/etc.

Unless you have a really big wingspan, I don’t see the need for anything longer than 6’. The size of tree you can climb is somewhat limited to your ability to reach around and grab your rope/strap/etc.

I saw a video once where the guy hung his daisy chain over the standoff on the stick then reached around the tree with the stick so he could get his daisy chain around a tree he could not reach around. Just another option if you’re having trouble getting around a big tree.

I made mine 8’ started out with 17’ 7/32 amsteel. Folded it in half started with a Bremmel lock loop and then started my daisy chain. When I got to the end I buried one line Into the other end. Ended up with 8’

Back