• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Daisychain tether?

Grasshopper

Has anyone tried to find a daisy chain type tether to eliminate the need for a ropeman or prussik. Something like a versastrap. I imagine you could get some weight savings, and I'm not super touchy on hookup height that I believe I could find a happy place to hang on a daisy chain..

You can go with a climbing daisy chain, as long as you understand not to clip across the bar tacks. You may have to hunt around for a long enough one to wrap around the tree.

Stuff like the woven daisy chain and the versa strap are not recommended for life support.

I hunted hanging from a sewn daisy chain anchor several times. Girth hitched tree, clipped into loop at right height. It weighs 5.5 ounces, you can build a tether with friction hitch at 7 ounces easily. The 1.5 ounces in weight was not worth the restriction in adjustability. I am like you and I do not adjust much if at all once I’m set. Just didn’t make a big enough weight or bulk difference, but it works well

My 11mm rope tether is heavy, but I certainly trust it. Just something I was thinking about recently.

Maybe you should try 8mm oplux. Huge difference from 11mm. Packs down to nothing. My tether is way longer than it has to be because I like to double wrap the tree and it still only weighs about 8 ounces

Maybe you should try 8mm oplux. Huge difference from 11mm. Packs down to nothing. My tether is way longer than it has to be because I like to double wrap the tree and it still only weighs about 8 ounces

Or just go a tad bigger and get sterling 9mm htp. Alot cheaper, under a dollar a foot. Cant buy oplux by the foot....

Or just go a tad bigger and get sterling 9mm htp. Alot cheaper, under a dollar a foot. Cant buy oplux by the foot....

Both are great options. Oplux is 40% lighter than 9mm HTP, and packs significantly smaller.

HTP is definitely cheaper, but you should be able to buy oplux in short order from Dano at doublesteps.com

has anyone used the 8mm Oplux as your bridge? im thinking about switching lineman's belt bridge and tether to this.

Both are great options. Oplux is 40% lighter than 9mm HTP, and packs significantly smaller.

HTP is definitely cheaper, but you should be able to buy oplux in short order from Dano at doublesteps.com

Yes I think oplux is definitely cream of the crop...I see that he has it listed for $1.89 a foot. I got the sterling htp for $0.84 a foot. I think the oplux and the beal jammy with a tender (your setup) is gonna be the best performing system in every aspect.

Back