• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DAS Longbow Limbs just arrived!!!

BowhunterXC

Feb 14, 2021
N.W. Ohio
UPS just delivered my DAS Longbow Limbs and a D97 string, from 3 Rivers Archery. I setup everything with my 3 fingers under tiller, 6 1/2" brace height and some 600 spine Gold Tip Traditional arrows. I'm using my OMP Sektor 17" riser for these limbs, which seem to be working out very well. :)
I may end up buying some full length shafts to get better flight, as these arrows were from another bow and are already cut to 28". I had to use a 175 gr. tip weight to get the shaft to flex enough to get decent flight. :rolleyes: Otherwise, this bow is extremely quiet and smooth shooting!!!

These 35# limbs will help me with muscle memory, good form and general fun backyard shooting. :cool:
DAS Longbow 1.jpg
DAS Longbow 2.jpg

Just_Hangin_N_GA

SH Member
Aug 23, 2022
Guyton, Georgia
UPS just delivered my DAS Longbow Limbs and a D97 string, from 3 Rivers Archery. I setup everything with my 3 fingers under tiller, 6 1/2" brace height and some 600 spine Gold Tip Traditional arrows. I'm using my OMP Sektor 17" riser for these limbs, which seem to be working out very well. :)
I may end up buying some full length shafts to get better flight, as these arrows were from another bow and are already cut to 28". I had to use a 175 gr. tip weight to get the shaft to flex enough to get decent flight. :rolleyes: Otherwise, this bow is extremely quiet and smooth shooting!!!

These 35# limbs will help me with muscle memory, good form and general fun backyard shooting. :cool:
View attachment 81427
View attachment 81428
Awesome, have some fun with it!!!
Where did you get your quiver and the attachment from?
I just got my Samick Sage today with 25lb limbs also to work on form and to test out the traditional world. Seeing your setup, I realized I don't have a quiver

Reactions: katiesmom

BowhunterXC

Feb 14, 2021
N.W. Ohio
Awesome, have some fun with it!!!
Where did you get your quiver and the attachment from?
I just got my Samick Sage today with 25lb limbs also to work on form and to test out the traditional world. Seeing your setup, I realized I don't have a quiver
Thanks!
It's a Selway quiver, but I don't recall whether I ordered it from Amazon or picked it up at one of the Trad Bow Events. :cool:

BowhunterXC

Feb 14, 2021
N.W. Ohio
I assumed this bow would shoot a 600 spine arrow, but after not getting the best flight, I checked the arrow charts. :rolleyes: I shot it this morning with some 500 spine arrows and 125 gr. tip weights and the flight has greatly improved. Also, I increased the Brace Height to 6 3/4" and may increase it more. As of now, this bow is amazingly quiet and very smooth shooting. :cool:

I took it to an archery pro shop and had it put on a digital scale. At a 28" DL it pulls 38.2#. Oddly enough, that's exactly what my 35# DAS bamboo core recurve limbs pull, at the same 28" DL. I've always shot recurves and never thought I'd like shooting a longbow as much as I like this one. :) I'm going to be shooting this bow for a while....possibly hunting with it this fall.

JSEXTON23

Sep 7, 2017
Ohio
I assumed this bow would shoot a 600 spine arrow, but after not getting the best flight, I checked the arrow charts. :rolleyes: I shot it this morning with some 500 spine arrows and 125 gr. tip weights and the flight has greatly improved. Also, I increased the Brace Height to 6 3/4" and may increase it more. As of now, this bow is amazingly quiet and very smooth shooting. :cool:

I took it to an archery pro shop and had it put on a digital scale. At a 28" DL it pulls 38.2#. Oddly enough, that's exactly what my 35# DAS bamboo core recurve limbs pull, at the same 28" DL. I've always shot recurves and never thought I'd like shooting a longbow as much as I like this one. :) I'm going to be shooting this bow for a while....possibly hunting with it this fall.

I’ll assume these are the long size longbow limbs, but my comment will apply to xl limbs too. I would highly suggest taking that brace height up. ILF longbow limbs notoriously “noodle”. The typical ilf riser is designed for recurve limbs. The limb pad angles are slack and there is a lot of deflex in that riser. Those aspects impact the pre-load on the limbs at brace.

A well designed ilf longbow riser will have steeper/more upright limb pads and little deflex.

In order to counter the reduced pre-load due to design, you’ll need to take the brace height up, effectively increasing preload.

BowhunterXC

Feb 14, 2021
N.W. Ohio
@JSEXTON23
I agree with you on the BH and I'm working it up to a point where I see, hear or feel a change that's not good. You're not the first one to suggest a longer BH and since this is my first set of longbow limbs, I'm still learning. :)
As it is setup, the bow is shooting very smooth and extremely quiet. Even so, there may be more to "pump" out of the performance within this setup. :cool: BTW, these limbs are the Longs. The Extra Longs would not get enough flex with my 28" DL, to be beneficial for good performance.

shamus275

SH Member
Nov 1, 2019
I’m going to jump in with @JSEXTON23 and say explore the longer brace heights. I’ve found similar results that he’s talked about and found that 7.75”-8.25” tends to be a pretty good range for those DAS limbs on an ILF riser. I actually ran 7.75” on my VPA with 35lbs.

Reactions: BowhunterXC

JSEXTON23

Sep 7, 2017
Ohio
By way of your suggestions.... @shamus275 @JSEXTON23 @BTaylor
I've increased the BH to 7 1/4", but I'm still experimenting with it and watching the arrow flight for any changes.
So far, so good! :) The string isn't touching the limb any more, like it was and I appreciated the recommendations! :cool:
View attachment 81715
View attachment 81716
Looks way better to my eyes. The string touching the limb was probably robbing you of some performance. Maybe not, but I’d suspect the bow will be a bit more stable at that brace height.

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Aug 21, 2020
Westminster Maryland
By way of your suggestions.... @shamus275 @JSEXTON23 @BTaylor
I've increased the BH to 7 1/4", but I'm still experimenting with it and watching the arrow flight for any changes.
So far, so good! :) The string isn't touching the limb any more, like it was and I appreciated the recommendations! :cool:
View attachment 81715
View attachment 81716

Interesting. So you're saying that at 38lbs, your bow like 500 spine with 125gr? That seem stiff to me based on some of the chart. Can this be semi-proof of the efficiency/speed of the limbs?

JSEXTON23

Sep 7, 2017
Ohio
Interesting. So you're saying that at 38lbs, your bow like 500 spine with 125gr? That seem stiff to me based on some of the chart. Can this be semi-proof of the efficiency/speed of the limbs?
Probably more like the center cut of the riser. Could also be plucking the string and influencing the dynamic spine.

Reactions: HuumanCreed

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Aug 21, 2020
Westminster Maryland
Probably more like the center cut of the riser. Could also be plucking the string and influencing the dynamic spine.

hmm....so school me please. I think I understand the concept but it would be nice to have it explain. So are you saying with a good center cut riser tune/padded so the arrow is dead center, it is possible to get stiffer arrows to fly straight? I'm asking because I would like to get 500 spine arrows to shoot out of a 35-38lbs recurve too.

JSEXTON23

Sep 7, 2017
Ohio
hmm....so school me please. I think I understand the concept but it would be nice to have it explain. So are you saying with a good center cut riser tune/padded so the arrow is dead center, it is possible to get stiffer arrows to fly straight? I'm asking because I would like to get 500 spine arrows to shoot out of a 35-38lbs recurve too.
Yes, it’s basic tuning 101 on a trad bow. For a right handed shooter, moving the arrow to the left dynamically stiffens the spine, moving the arrow right towards the riser dynamically weakens the spine. A lot of ilf risers are cut to or past center, allowing for a stiffer arrow to be shot. Unlike an ASL or self bow which are usually cut before center. You can easily search and read about this topic.