• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Daughters First Buck and from the saddle!!

MattMan81

SH Member
Little bit warmer today in southern Michigan and no rain. I was gonna leave at noon to take my daughter hunting. I got tied up on the phone trouble shooting a piece of equipment. Left an hour later than planned. No biggie. Get home, shake the gear out, load the truck and we go. South wind, so we head to the field and sit on the NE corner that has a hill behind it. Should keep out scent contained pretty good. Last year I had bucks come out in that corner with that wind, so I was set up just to the north of where they were coming out. I DRT up the preset, set the platforms. Lower the rope for my daughter to repeat and she joins me in the tree. I adjust my platform after seeing how it lays. We are finally set. 4:57pm. I send my wife a picture of us hanging out. I tell my daughter which way the bucks came from last time, so we gotta watch they don't sneak in that way and pick us off. Adjust my saddle to a nice position and get comfy to start watching. My daughter is scribbling in her note book. Soon she motions at me and makes an antler with her hand. I peak around the tree and suprised to see large deer out there, not a spike. He is on the field edge in front of us and my guess is looking for us because he saw us walk in, or heard us. He is so close their is leaves and branches between us and him. My daughter has the safety off, but there is no clear shot. I anticipated they would be a few yards out, not right on the edge. He goes past and turns back into the woods on the other side of us and seems like his nose has detected us. But he runs 3-4 steps to the back side of the tree and stops. He is right at the base of the tree. My daughter gets the crossbow back around the other side. I tell her heart. She lines it up, steadies, and sent that 150gr Crimson Talon single bevel I got right thru the top of the spine, across the top of the heart, and exits out in front of his front leg. He drops like a stone. I can see the blood pooring out. Not sure if he needs another, I fumble to re-cock the crossbow. By the time I get another arrow in it, he has stopped moving. He's done. Cant believe that just happened. Wow. He's dead right at the base of the tree. Best kinda tracking job. It's her second deer. First Buck. First saddle kill. All before 5:08pm. So we give it a few minutes to process it all.. little celebration. We climb down, check it.. yep. She nailed it good. Take a quick photo. Walk back to truck, drive out and grab him and take him back up by the road to try and not blow the area up to bad. Crazy night. So proud of my daughter. She is a killer. Maybe I can just go the recurve and let her do all the work!Screenshot_20231018-200720-421.pngScreenshot_20231018-200820-190.png

Last edited:
Awesome work folks!! Nice write up too! Congratulations!!

Last edited:
I wish I could give this multiple "loves". Way to go @MattMan81 and daughter! Be careful, she'll be schooling you on deer kills like @fbwguy's wife does to him. :tearsofjoy:

Seriously though, of all the deer kills I've been a part of I wouldn't trade any of them for the one where I was looking over my daughter's shoulder when she killed her first buck. What an awesome experience, something neither of you will ever forget!

Awesome! Heck of a buck, great job to both of you!

Now get someone to Photoshop out that chair lol
You know what's funny about that chair.. it's been sitting there for 5 years or so. Maybe longer. Don't think anyone has sat in it. Funny how some things become like a land mark or just part of the environment. I took a few the other way, but they didn't come out as well. I should have turned the body some more and not as much sun in the back ground. I was in a little hurry to make it to the processor since we were so early. There is place kinda on the way home. So that way I didn't have to take it back. Screenshot_20231019-050150-867.png

It always makes my day to see parents spending time with their children in the great outdoors, congratulations to both of you! Her smile tells the story for sure! God Bless

Super happy for you 2. So awesome seeing kids joining our ranks. Love the write up too. She is a killer all right. Half the guys on this forum probably would've blew that shot. Congrats!

Back