• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Decent bow for a tall dude, any ideas?

Spur

After the season is over gonna get my elbow fixed hopefully, and switch back to bow from crossbow. Problem is I have a 31" draw, and finding bows rth is kinda hard without going over a grand. Anybody have some suggestions on something that works well but won't break the bank if the elbow gives out on me again? Thanks!!!

Shouldn't be too hard to find a bow with a 31" draw. Pretty sure the Diamond Infinite Edge and Bear Cruzer both hit that number. The Cruzer is a surprisingly adequate bow for under $400. It also has the longer ATA length that lanky fellas seem to prefer.

After the season is over gonna get my elbow fixed hopefully, and switch back to bow from crossbow. Problem is I have a 31" draw, and finding bows rth is kinda hard without going over a grand. Anybody have some suggestions on something that works well but won't break the bank if the elbow gives out on me again? Thanks!!!
I have over a 31" draw length as well. My compound is a PSE bow madness and it draws great for me--yes it's a little old, but I think that is to the advantage. The parallel limb bows that are just before the super compact time frame seem to fit me the best. I bet @Nutterbuster would have some good suggestions as well--he used to work in a bow shop.

I shoot a halon32 at 30.5. I had tested it at 31 in as well, which is a bit long for me. The back wall at 31 seemed maybe a tad squishy. Is your budget for a fully-equipped bow or just barebow? 31 should be doable as long as you don't insist on a super short BH. And keep the poundage low. I've had some wrist and elbow issues, so I've kept my draw down at 50. I hit a good-sized dow a bit forward yesterday and still had plenty of energy to shatter her leg and have her cartwheeling and down within seconds. Also - if you've used a wrist release...go handheld as it puts a lot less stress on the wrist and elbow. With modern equipment and a long draw length...you are already way ahead of the game in power. Take it easy on your joints.

It's really only the speed bows with like a 5 in BH that are tough to find a 31 in draw with. You should be OK.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a bow with a 31" draw. Pretty sure the Diamond Infinite Edge and Bear Cruzer both hit that number. The Cruzer is a surprisingly adequate bow for under $400. It also has the longer ATA length that lanky fellas seem to prefer.
Bear cruzer on their site listed as 30", I looked at the bear br33 which looks like it would work but I don't think those are made any more. I have found some sites that still carry them though. I just dunno much about bows, my last one was a dinosaur that I gave away to a friend.

Bear cruzer on their site listed as 30", I looked at the bear br33 which looks like it would work but I don't think those are made any more. I have found some sites that still carry them though. I just dunno much about bows, my last one was a dinosaur that I gave away to a friend.
Yeah, I just got off of Bears website. The Infinite Edge Pro does hit 31" though. It's not the sweetest bow, but for the money it's a good value.

The good thing about having that long draw is that you're milking all the performance out of a bow, so that isnt really an issue.

The Elite Energy and Synergy series is discontinued, and readily available second hand. You could get a used Synergy for under $500 with some shopping. I love mine. Slowish, but you wont have that problem.

PSE and Bear pretty much dominate the entey-level market in my mind. I'd look into them if going new.

I shoot a halon32 at 30.5. I had tested it at 31 in as well, which is a bit long for me. The back wall at 31 seemed maybe a tad squishy. Is your budget for a fully-equipped bow or just barebow? 31 should be doable as long as you don't insist on a super short BH. And keep the poundage low. I've had some wrist and elbow issues, so I've kept my draw down at 50. I hit a good-sized dow a bit forward yesterday and still had plenty of energy to shatter her leg and have her cartwheeling and down within seconds. Also - if you've used a wrist release...go handheld as it puts a lot less stress on the wrist and elbow. With modern equipment and a long draw length...you are already way ahead of the game in power. Take it easy on your joints.

It's really only the speed bows with like a 5 in BH that are tough to find a 31 in draw with. You should be OK.
I have not bought a bow in a very long time so I don't know what is reasonable to get something decent. I figure $500 is a safe risk in the event I can't draw well anymore. A little up or down I am flexible with if it is worth it.

I have not bought a bow in a very long time so I don't know what is reasonable to get something decent. I figure $500 is a safe risk in the event I can't draw well anymore. A little up or down I am flexible with if it is worth it.
You can probably track down a used AL flagship-level bow, probably with basic accesories, or find a decent mid-range option, for around that price. Presumably if you find a good used option, you could resell it without losing much, if you're concerned. But ideally get yourself to a bow shop, see what meets your budget and draws easy FOR YOU. And consider a handheld release if you hadn't been using one previously (this made a world of difference in me for eliminating elbow pain). And if you're that much on the edge, consider keeping your draw weight super low.

You can probably track down a used AL flagship-level bow, probably with basic accesories, or find a decent mid-range option, for around that price. Presumably if you find a good used option, you could resell it without losing much, if you're concerned. But ideally get yourself to a bow shop, see what meets your budget and draws easy FOR YOU. And consider a handheld release if you hadn't been using one previously (this made a world of difference in me for eliminating elbow pain). And if you're that much on the edge, consider keeping your draw weight super low.
I had been using a trigger release that straps to my wrist. Is that what you mean by handheld release?

I just picked up a brand new, but 2018, Bowtech Realm X. I believe it will go to your draw length (I am a 30 inch draw). Paid $750. I thought it was a great deal. Just tuned it this weekend. Quite an upgrade over my Bowtech Old Glory, which was no slouch. Pete

Also, go onto the archerytalk classifieds. There are guys there that must buy a new bow every month. So many options for sale there. They are literally diluting the market :)

@Spur, if you want the easiest drawing bow possible, get the Synergy. The first time I pulled one back, I honestly thought it was a 50lb bow. Long ATA, high brace height, good mass, all traits of a smooth-shooter. I run mine without any stabilizer, and it's still the quietest and most vibration-free bow I've ever shot.

Spur,
Maybe it's time for a real bow, not a machine.
By going to a recurve your draw length will shorten and more so with a longbow.
I'm willing to loan you a bow when you're arm is better.
What poundage compound do you use?

man we must have a bunch of monsters in here shooting 30" draw lengths. The shooting club Im in most of us are around 6ft tall and most have a 28-29" draw length.

@Slingpredator06 6'3" with monkey arms :) I never have an issue changing light bulbs!
@Rev I been pulling 70# used my brothers 80# a few times, but I am thinking of dropping to 60, the whole getting old and all (grew up son of a mason, old school, I didn't have evenings or weekends), but depending on how the elbow heals if they can even do something, my days pulling back a string may be over. A friend of mine has a gorgeous longbow they offered to let me use, but I want to get some confidence back in the arm and the aim :) Funny you mention going to "a real bow." Long term my plans were to "evolve" to include longbow and recurve. I really enjoy being out in the woods, despite the lack of luck this year, and going in with options to change the flavor is appealing to me on a more primal level. I may take you up on borrowing the recurve, but it will be a while before I get the confidence back to give it a try. I appreciate you offering a stranger an opportunity to try it!!!

Don't get caught up in draw weight and max fps. That's a trap that a lot of guys fall into. Get a bow and tune it in a way that you are comfortable and place well aimed shots. A lot of guys max out the draw length to way too long and wont shoot less than 70lbs and their shot groups suffer for it. Keep in mind that youth bows kill deer every year. Im sure youll have no issues.

Back