• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer around Ohio Train Derailment area

Westdesign03

SH Member
I got to thinking, was curious if anyone would have concern eating deer meat harvested in or around the Ohio train derailment area in the 2024 season. That potentially affects the hot deer hunting areas of Ohio, at least along the Ohio river. Potentially the rivers and streams etc. if nothing else. Thoughts?

I would have no second thoughts. Acute air pollution from a singular event is hardly even a concern unless you are right on the source, and the air movement from there is into PA, not OH. The water, one good spring rain and this is the Louisiana Delta's problem.

Hopefully they start growing 3 or 4 main beams. Should make 200 easier to reach.

Kidding aside I won't give it a second thought here in Ohio (as far as deer hunting is concerned) or in PA for that matter.

My guess would be that any animal that is directly affected is already dead or soon will be. As already stated I would assume that the nature will filter it out fairly quickly as far as wildlife is concerned. I highly doubt meat would be affected in any kind of dangerous level. That is just me though, I am by no means a scientist, but I won't be sweating it unless someone smarter than me and a trustworthy source tells me otherwise.

Last edited:
All good points. I tend to agree. Nature has an amazing way of cleaning things up in most cases.

I would have no second thoughts. Acute air pollution from a singular event is hardly even a concern unless you are right on the source, and the air movement from there is into PA, not OH. The water, one good spring rain and this is the Louisiana Delta's problem.

I'd disagree. There's still thorium circulating in the air from nuclear tests from years ago. There's still polluted ground water from distant past spills of PFOS and PFOA. That's just 2 things I pulled out of my head in 2 seconds and nothing exhaustive.

Those chemicals (and their various combustion and reaction byproducts) not only entered the air but also are on the land and will seep into the ground water and soil. Ground water flows like slow rivers and emerges as springs.

I wouldn't make a blanket statement on this at this stage in the game.

Last edited:
I will agree with this. Again as of now I am unconcerned as I previously stated. However, that doesn't mean that my view/opinion won't change as time goes on. I am sure that there "could" be lasting effects.

All good points. I tend to agree. Nature has an amazing way of cleaning things up in most cases.
Go check out the recent research on freshwater fish and PFOs… nature can’t handle everything. No way I’d eat a deer, or feed it to my family, in proximity downwind or immediately downstream of the event until some testing shows the all clear.

I will say, myself and the guys I hunt with have been talking and we are all going to keep a close eye on the dead head/shed threads on the Ohio hunting boards from this area. more so out of curiosity at this point. I am on the Wayne/Holmes county line but we hunt that way in Ohio from time to time, as well as consistently hunting NY and PA , so it's definitely a point of interest.

I will say, myself and the guys I hunt with have been talking and we are all going to keep a close eye on the dead head/shed threads on the Ohio hunting boards from this area. more so out of curiosity at this point. I am on the Wayne/Holmes county line but we hunt that way in Ohio from time to time, as well as consistently hunting NY and PA , so it's definitely a point of interest.

The DNR should do some tissue analyses on harvested or found dead animals.

I'd disagree. There's still thorium circulating in the air from nuclear tests from years ago. There's still polluted ground water from distant past spills of PFOS and PFOA. That's just 2 things I pulled out of my head in 2 seconds and nothing exhaustive.

Those chemicals (and their various combustion and reaction byproducts) not only entered the air but also are on the land and will seep into the ground water and soil. Ground water flows like slow rivers and emerges as springs.

I get it, I'm not like pro-pollutiom but it crashed right next to the Ohio River. Last I checked water doesn't flow upstream, and there is very minimal groundwater exchange in the geology of that area. The river is impounded so heavier contaminants will settle into the silt.

There cannot be any good that comes from this. Not a bit. I’m no greenie weenie and despise the climate change narrative but this is plain and simple action reaction…. bad news. I’m getting a fb that instruments are sensing it an hour northeast of me. Our predominant wind is from the southwest,

Back