• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer candles

River Hunter

Not really a recipe but I always felt all the fat on the deer should be put to use. This year I decided to make candles - campfire and sugar cookie scented. It was a fun project with my kiddo!
433064c3e1d3dde2998ce8ceae5de5f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Interesting. Surprised there is enough fat on most deer for that honestly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I had so much fat on the last doe I shot it was ridiculous. Wish I knew how to do this.

Fill a big pot with 1/2 fat and 1/2 water.
Simmer until all the water evaporates and the fat has rendered down.
You'll end up with what looks like pork rinds and liquified fat.
Strain through cheesecloth.
Allow to solidify just in case there is any water left, then just remove the solid parts.
This will give you pure tallow.
Mix the tallow with 7% of your scent of choice. Just search Amazon for candle scent.
Hot glue the wick to the bottom of a jar and use tape across the mouth to keep it centered.
Use a funnel to pour your "wax" into the jar.

Should keep for a long time, just put a lid on it and keep in a dark cool place.

All those candles in the pic came from the fat off of one 125 pound doe.

Last edited:
Fill a big pot with 1/2 fat and 1/2 water.
Simmer until all the water evaporates and the fat has rendered down.
You'll end up with what looks like pork rinds and liquified fat.
Strain through cheesecloth.
Allow to solidify just in case there is any water left, then just remove the solid parts.
This will give you pure tallow.
Mix the tallow with 7% of your scent of choice. Just search Amazon for candle scent.
Hot glue the wick to the bottom of a jar and use tape across the mouth to keep it centered.
Use a funnel to pour your "wax" into the jar.

Should keep for a long time, just put a lid on it and keep in a dark cool place.

All those candles in the pic came from the fat off of one 125 pound doe.

Is this just the hard fat you are using?

I’m impressed, but Arkansas deer don’t have that much fat, but maybe I can get 1 or 2 candles!
Thanks for sharing!

Candles and sewing stuff ,I guess I need to hand in my man card. lol
You mean fire pods and thread injectors? Sounds pretty manly to me! I'm not crying, it's just a little bit of awesome leaking out! :tearsofjoy:

This is awesome! I'm going to have to try it next year (would definitely make christmas "shopping" more enjoyable).

Back