• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer cart

I am looking for a deer cart for this season and wanted to see if any of you guys have every tried Southern Cart Company's "Game Getter" they only sell them through FB but the reviews look good. Any feedback would be really helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/southernca...derUfUaKmpTyOC_cNwhWbNSnWqy629N52IOXQ&fref=nf

In my years of trying all sorts of dragging options i have concluded that carts are limited by terrain. I use a jet sled now!! @redsquirrel posted last year and i decided to give the sled a shot. Let me tell you it is smooth. It goes through everything up over anything and there is little to no resistance while dragging. The only con is when your dragging uphill in the snow. Once you stop that sled will pull the other direction and trust me when i say anchor in or muscle through it. Other than that it in my opinion is worth the measly money i think i paid $60-$70 for it through cabelas.

check out the rack packer also. Looks like a nice little cart that you can pack in with backpack straps.

I’m thinking about getting a dead sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback I did some research on the ice fishing jet sled and it sounds perfect for my needs and it is only $40. Love this community saving me money so I can spend way more on Saddle Gear LOL.

Thanks for all the feedback I did some research on the ice fishing jet sled and it sounds perfect for my needs and it is only $40. Love this community saving me money so I can spend way more on Saddle Gear LOL.

I kid you not it will be the best $40 you ever spent. So far out of all the saddles, bows, and gear i have bought the sled is by far the one thing I will never change in my arsenal unless they come out with something that does the loading and pulling for me. Wait thats an ingenious idea i just had lol!!

Out here I'm still using a frame pack, game bags and a sharp knife to get them out. The benefit is you're about half way done getting it into the freezer by the time you get back to camp. If you go this way I will say they get alot lighter and it's not a hard process. The only problem is I know some states don't allow quartering in the field. For example WI says you can break your deer down to 4 pieces to aid in removal, and all parts need to be removed except for the entrails. That essentially removes quartering from the options because usually you leave at least the skeleton and a big portion of the hide. Also, when you quarter a deer you get the 4 quarters but you also get the back straps, neck meat, and everything else. When i called the DNR they informed me that each cut would be considered a seperate piece.

Out here I'm still using a frame pack, game bags and a sharp knife to get them out. The benefit is you're about half way done getting it into the freezer by the time you get back to camp. If you go this way I will say they get alot lighter and it's not a hard process. The only problem is I know some states don't allow quartering in the field. For example WI says you can break your deer down to 4 pieces to aid in removal, and all parts need to be removed except for the entrails. That essentially removes quartering from the options because usually you leave at least the skeleton and a big portion of the hide. Also, when you quarter a deer you get the 4 quarters but you also get the back straps, neck meat, and everything else. When i called the DNR they informed me that each cut would be considered a seperate piece.
Stupid stuff like this is the reason I roll my eyes whenever I see a Fish and Game truck. It's like when Alabama legalized hunting hogs at night on private property and a game warden was writing tickets because it technically was still illegal to shine a light at game.

Somebody finally brought it to court. The judge straight up asked, "So it's legal to fire the bullet, but it's illegal to verify what you're shooting at?" He basically told the game warden he didn't want that in his court again.

I like the Alice Pack method that Mr. Warren Womack uses. There are some places that I hunt that don't allow a cart, but if they do I will roll one out if it is not too far from the truck. Otherwise they are going to be riding with Alice. May seem like alot of work, but I have walked too many times way back to the truck after killing a deer, then way back in to where the deer is, only to walk way back out with it.

I like the Alice Pack method that Mr. Warren Womack uses. There are some places that I hunt that don't allow a cart, but if they do I will roll one out if it is not too far from the truck. Otherwise they are going to be riding with Alice. May seem like alot of work, but I have walked too many times way back to the truck after killing a deer, then way back in to where the deer is, only to walk way back out with it.

Yep. Dragging even with a cart sucks. I’ve used the Alice pack several times but I find other packs ride a lot better on your back than an Alice pack without a frame. I just use my back pack lined with a garbage bag and debone the deer in the woods. Takes a little more time to debone over quartering but not much and fits in a smaller back pack. Hind quarters come off quick in one big roast. Shoulders are the only time consuming part but it’s quicker than going back and getting a cart.

Yep. Dragging even with a cart sucks. I’ve used the Alice pack several times but I find other packs ride a lot better on your back than an Alice pack without a frame. I just use my back pack lined with a garbage bag and debone the deer in the woods. Takes a little more time to debone over quartering but not much and fits in a smaller back pack. Hind quarters come off quick in one big roast. Shoulders are the only time consuming part but it’s quicker than going back and getting a cart.
What other pack are you using?

My old man says it's easier to just shoot another deer than it is to fool with shoulders. ;)

What other pack are you using?

I had a tensing pack probably around 1800 cu ft and now using a badlands about the same size. The Kuiu venture has a plastic and aluminum internal frame that I think will make a big difference for hauling a load but be barely noticeable without a load. I think it’s worth a try. Got my attention anyway.

I'm trying out an A frame cart I made from an old treadmill frame and a kids bike I found in the trash. not pretty but it it will hold my 250lbs neighbor with out much effort and not too bad on the hills.

Pack em out deboned. It’s the most efficient way to get a deer out of the woods hands down. Too many of my hunts are too far from the truck in rough terrain to go grab a cart and come back. I like sleep!

My old man says it's easier to just shoot another deer than it is to fool with shoulders. ;)

You hear all the time folks talk about how they grew up thinking their parents were dumb as stumps, then as they grew older they realized they themselves were dumb as stumps.....this ain’t one of those times.

Braise the outside of a shoulder in a pan or grill and toss in a crockpot then tell me a shoulder ain’t worth keeping. I’ll leave the spices you up to your individual taste, but the meat will as tender as any you’ll find on a deer.

Can always use your wild edge step and tether to help with breaking it down.
e1b45b1a4ba9f542e95b6ddc1f89afaa.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You hear all the time folks talk about how they grew up thinking their parents were dumb as stumps, then as they grew older they realized they themselves were dumb as stumps.....this ain’t one of those times.

Braise the outside of a shoulder in a pan or grill and toss in a crockpot then tell me a shoulder ain’t worth keeping. I’ll leave the spices you up to your individual taste, but the meat will as tender as any you’ll find on a deer.
No denying they're tasty. They're just a pain to debone compared to hams and straps, and they're not very meaty. I keep them if I'm in a good mood and/or close to the truck. If I'm way back in the swamp and it's a hot, cussin' kind of day, I'm inclined to leave them.

Back