• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Demo climb & Advantages of JRB over DRT & SRT

John RB

This demonstration climb and discussion on advantages of the JRB Climbing Method over other methods like MRS/DRT and SRT was requested by the climbers in my FB group. If it's not for you, that's no problem, but consider using it as motivation to make your climbing system as safe, versatile, and flexible. When it comes down to it, that's really all I am trying to do here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

@John RB - Thank you for all you do to teach safe rope climbing with your JRB climbing system!

I’m indebted to you for doing all the work to develop, test, and share this method, giving saddle hunters what I believe is the safest means to climb and descend trees.

I built my system last year and immediately saw the advantages of the system over SRT and other climbing methods I’ve used. JRB climbing was the only method I used during the 2021 deer season, and I’m sticking with it going forward to make tree climbing easier and safer.

I love that it has redundancy, that each section of the rope and hitches support only a portion of the weight of the climber, that it eliminates mechanical ascenders and mechanical belay devices from the system, that it doesn’t require knot tying at the tree, that rope retrieval is no longer difficult or challenging, and most importantly - that during the entire climb and descent there is zero slack in the system.

I can’t thank you enough for making this information available in an easy to understand format for the good of the saddle hunting community!

For those who are thinking about trying it, I can say from personal experience that it’s worth the investment of your time to study John’s instructional videos on his YouTube channel and to put together your own JRB climbing system. You may find that, like me, you’ll almost always choose it over all other climbing methods once you see and experience the advantages.

I really like the idea of the system. I guess my hang up is the foot loops and their tending. I just like to keep my work in front and/or above me. Been trying to come up with a way to do that with the JRB but just cant figure it out yet.

Last edited:
@John RB - Thank you for all you do to teach safe rope climbing with your JRB climbing system!

I’m indebted to you for doing all the work to develop, test, and share this method, giving saddle hunters what I believe is the safest means to climb and descend trees.

I built my system last year and immediately saw the advantages of the system over SRT and other climbing methods I’ve used. JRB climbing was the only method I used during the 2021 deer season, and I’m sticking with it going forward to make tree climbing easier and safer.

I love that it has redundancy, that each section of the rope and hitches support only a portion of the weight of the climber, that it eliminates mechanical ascenders and mechanical belay devices from the system, that it doesn’t require knot tying at the tree, that rope retrieval is no longer difficult or challenging, and most importantly - that during the entire climb and descent there is zero slack in the system.

I can’t thank you enough for making this information available in an easy to understand format for the good of the saddle hunting community!

For those who are thinking about trying it, I can say from personal experience that it’s worth the investment of your time to study John’s instructional videos on his YouTube channel and to put together your own JRB climbing system. You may find that, like me, you’ll almost always choose it over all other climbing methods once you see and experience the advantages.
Appreciate the words. I think i will look back on this someday and feel like we started something good together. As climbers try it and master it, word of mouth will take care of the rest.

I really like the idea of the system. I guess my hang up is the foot loops and their tending. I just like to keep my work in front and/or above be. Been trying to come up with a way to do that with the JRB but just cant figure it out yet.

The Garda foot loop tends very easy. It used to be a shorter foot loop in one of the early versions but now that it’s incorporated into the backup for redundancy it’s easy to grab and tend. I’m almost 50 and overweight and out of shape and this is the easiest climbing method I’ve found. SRT is very similar but setting an anchor and rope retrieval with it are more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with everything you said.

The Garda foot loop tends very easy. It used to be a shorter foot loop in one of the early versions but now that it’s incorporated into the backup for redundancy it’s easy to grab and tend. I’m almost 50 and overweight and out of shape and this is the easiest climbing method I’ve found. SRT is very similar but setting an anchor and rope retrieval with it are more difficult.

The problem is having reach down to lift the ropes

I sincerely appreciate the input but admit I have never heard that before. I wouldn't consider that a problem, just different... meaning that in DRT and RADS SRT, between each rising move, there's some kind of a regrip/reset to prepare for the next move. With a really short foot loop, like if its below my knee, it can be a bit of a stretch but up where it is, it's a pretty fluent motion.

I sincerely appreciate the input but admit I have never heard that before. I wouldn't consider that a problem, just different... meaning that in DRT and RADS SRT, between each rising move, there's some kind of a regrip/reset to prepare for the next move. With a really short foot loop, like if its below my knee, it can be a bit of a stretch but up where it is, it's a pretty fluent motion.

Some systems do. My DRT(mrs) system, bachmann knot and using a hand ascender w/footloop, my hands never come off the ascender until i reach hunting height or need to take a break or go around a limb.

Some systems do. My DRT(mrs) system, bachmann knot and using a hand ascender w/footloop, my hands never come off the ascender until i reach hunting height or need to take a break or go around a limb.
I climbed MRS on a self tending Bachmann for 10 years. Its a great setup. I also used a hand ascender setup to pull with both hands, and so i never bothered with a footloop. Its a 2:1 so can't climb as fast on it as I can with JRB, but that's not a big deal. The only hassle was the friction and need for a friction saver. Without it, rough barked trees just ate up my ropes.

Hey @John RB if I was going to do some presets with a Paracord on a preset with anti friction up top. What would you recommend for hitches and tieing in? Their is a lot to un pack going thru your videos and it's kinda overwhelming. If you were gonna walk up and tie onto a rope and pull it up and over and tie into your saddle then ascend in the dark, which way would you do it to climb to avoid tieing the least amount of stuff in the dark and avoid mixing something up. Simple and functional?

Hey @John RB if I was going to do some presets with a Paracord on a preset with anti friction up top. What would you recommend for hitches and tieing in? Their is a lot to un pack going thru your videos and it's kinda overwhelming. If you were gonna walk up and tie onto a rope and pull it up and over and tie into your saddle then ascend in the dark, which way would you do it to climb to avoid tieing the least amount of stuff in the dark and avoid mixing something up. Simple and functional?
I am sure John will be along and answer. But he ties nothing at the tree. All hitch cords are attached and stay on the ropes he clips rope on to preset and pulls it up and over. Then hooks in and is ready to climb for the most part. The latest video demos all of this. Unless I am misunderstanding your question.

I am sure John will be along and answer. But he ties nothing at the tree. All hitch cords are attached and stay on the ropes he clips rope on to preset and pulls it up and over. Then hooks in and is ready to climb for the most part. The latest video demos all of this. Unless I am misunderstanding your question.

Just the Garda and Munter.

Sorry for the delay. I am getting NO notifications for anything on my Tapatalk app on my Android phone lately. I even tried reinstalling the app completely and basically I'm getting nothing. And so if I don't go through these posts I've subscribed to I will miss the conversation...

Ok, this is the shortest video I ever released and I think it shows exactly what you're asking. The throwball gets replaced with a loop of paracord and it stays in the tree. You will want to secure the end so they don't blow around or get pulled down by a critter. The climbing rope has Clips on it and we rig it in just like this.

I throw the slack rope over my shoulder as a climb. It keeps it out of the way and make it easy to grab after standing. I don’t use it this way every time but it does work.

@John RB whats the advantage of using the compact hitches vs the regular? Do you pretty much use compact version now? Is it just using less rope for the hitches? I have Predator rope with 8mm Bee Line. I have the hitch tied 523 regular way was just curious about the compact version. If you have covered this before my apologies. Thanks

@John RB whats the advantage of using the compact hitches vs the regular? Do you pretty much use compact version now? Is it just using less rope for the hitches? I have Predator rope with 8mm Bee Line. I have the hitch tied 523 regular way was just curious about the compact version. If you have covered this before my apologies. Thanks
Good question.

Compact advantages:
1. Smaller, can get closer to the tie in point for tether and hitch climbing applications.
2. One handed operation to take slack out to shorten the line is smoother and easier than it is in soft bridge mode ... cuz the rope flows over the biner

Compact disadvantages:
1. Harder to tie and tune
2. The initial hold after moving it up is less reliable. An extra wrap such as a 623 is necessary to get comparable performance as a 523 in soft bridge mode.

So I tossed several string over limbs over this weekend. ATM my plan is to pull over my friction saver, then run DRT. Missing some things to run a full JRB system ATM. So haven't fully dove into it. My concern is pulling it over the limbs, and does one pull rope work better than others? I have a few concerns over some of the limbs I went over that I may not be able to pull the JRB system over. One I am thinking about now I didn't try to pull my friction saver over and not positive if I will be able to get that around. It's a bigger split up high and the one limbs goes up at a good angle. 20-30deg. Off the main line. So any trees anyone's found that are hard to get around to avoid?

So I tossed several string over limbs over this weekend. ATM my plan is to pull over my friction saver, then run DRT. Missing some things to run a full JRB system ATM. So haven't fully dove into it. My concern is pulling it over the limbs, and does one pull rope work better than others? I have a few concerns over some of the limbs I went over that I may not be able to pull the JRB system over. One I am thinking about now I didn't try to pull my friction saver over and not positive if I will be able to get that around. It's a bigger split up high and the one limbs goes up at a good angle. 20-30deg. Off the main line. So any trees anyone's found that are hard to get around to avoid?
The best way I can describe it is to make the peace sign with your hand and look at the V that is formed between your forefinger and your middle finger. When we rope climb, We are looking for a crotch with an angle which is wider than that V. And I have found that I am able to pull in 8 mm rope with a friction hitch through all the same crotches that I can get an 11 mm rope through with no friction hitch.

Back