• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Desperate to figure out a "platform"

Arkhunter18

Okay guys..I feel like I'm doing well minus the fact that I don't have a place for my feet...I tried using the top step on my xop...of course that didn't work then I tried using two api skyhooks, one on each side but those are way too small I feel for my feet...I'd like to try 3 wild edge steps but just wondering what ur thoughts were...hose and ratchet? I'm trying to do this without an actual platform style..

Perhaps I misunderstand your goal. Are trying to be minimalist or just looking for a platform? There's some furniture brackets out there you can pick up a couple of those for either side of your XOP stick if your trying to minimalist. Or if your not on public the tree bolts are probably a good light weight option. Otherwise the WE steps get lots of love on here as a platform. Really comes down to preference. I've made one out of wood that im using right now. It ain't pretty and its a bit bulky but it works. And is around 5 lbs.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Might not be the answer you want to hear, but after spending some time using my Predator, I can't imagine going back to non-platform.
Light and small to carry, fast and quiet to set-up, and it takes comfort to a whole new level. And the more comfortable I am, the less I'll fidget in the tree and I'll hunt longer on each sit.

Last edited:
I used 3 stepps as a platform on the majority of my hunts last season. An added benefit is being able to sacrifice a little comfort and shooting angles to use one of the stepps to get higher in the tree when the need arises, leaving two for your platform.

I love the predator and recently got ameristeps and am digging those too. WE stepps will be solid too for ya after some practice runs

I started using a saddle full time last year and started with ameristeps, this season I bought into the hype and got a predator platform, well after test after test in the yard I think that I like the ameristeps best. Don't get me wrong I don't think there's anything wrong with The Predator I just like the flexibility you have with the ameristeps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I started using a saddle full time last year and started with ameristeps, this season I bought into the hype and got a predator platform, well after test after test in the yard I think that I like the ameristeps best. Don't get me wrong I don't think there's anything wrong with The Predator I just like the flexibility you have with the ameristeps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good deal...ameristeps are expensive lol
It is pretty crazy that they typically sell for 20 bucks a step now. The ones I had bought in the mid-90's when they first outlawed screw in's on public in WI were only a couple bucks each. I found a five gallon pail full of them at our hunting property two years ago and I thru them all out since had no need for them and couldnt imagine anyone would use them. Probably thru out about $500 !

Might not be the answer you want to hear, but after spending some time using my Predator, I can't imagine going back to non-platform.
Light and small to carry, fast and quiet to set-up, and it takes comfort to a whole new level. And the more comfortable I am, the less I'll fidget in the tree and I'll hunt longer on each sit.

Do you typically sit or lean?

Do you typically sit or lean?

Combination. Lean for a while, sit for a while.
This will be my 1st year in a Kestrel but I hunted for a few years in a Trophy Line which I could never get comfortable in.
I know the Kestrel will require less movement because comfort is much better than the TL.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you already have WE stepps you might consider the plywood slide in platform. Quick and easy to make and really stable. It’s also easy to carry and set into the step. I am using it for this coming Saturday morning, but mine is on the Primal Step. It’s a WE knock off.

Combination. Lean for a while, sit for a while.
This will be my 1st year in a Kestrel but I hunted for a few years in a Trophy Line which I could never get comfortable in.
I know the Kestrel will require less movement because comfort is much better than the TL.

I'm with you about the TL I couldn't get comfortable in it . I like the ameristep on a ratchet strap but I also got the Predator platform and I too really like it . I lean and sit what ever I fill like doing at the time. The Wild Edge steps are also good. Ameristep are hard to find and can be expensive.

My first few yeats of saddle hunting was from the TL on a ring of Ameristeps with a garbage ratchet strap (and no knee pads). It was total discomfort.
I replaced the junk ratchet with a high quality strap (its heavier, though) and the ring of steps is much better.
But I'm still partial to pre sets when feasible. For when pre sets aren't the way to go, I'm thinking Predator rather than the ring.

I will probably keep 1 or 2 rigs of ring of steps, but I'm starting to think about selling the rest of my Ameristep strap steps.
Might use the cash for an additional saddle or something else saddle related. Those steps are just collecting dust.

Back