• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ditching sticks

Wlog

SH Member
After 10 plus years with climbing sticks, I’m going back to tree steps. I’ve found that the majority of public lands I hunt have no restrictions on screw in steps. I used them for years before for preset stands and never really had issues.

With a portable stand that you can stack them on, other than the weight, the sticks work just fine. Strapping them to a pack or saddle platform has just been less than ideal for me. Think about how many less backpack iterations you would go through if you could ditch the climbing sticks.

The whole reason for hunting with a saddle for me is to be more compact and able to move freely with nothing to get hung up in brush, etc. I just want to go with the steps and stop the insanity of the constant tinkering. I need that extra time I’m wasting back.

My next move is to figure out a step option for areas I can’t use the Cranford, folding screw ins.

If you’re a treestep guy, let me know what works best for you.

Have you seen this?

Have you seen this?

I have not.

After 10 plus years with climbing sticks, I’m going back to tree steps. I’ve found that the majority of public lands I hunt have no restrictions on screw in steps. I used them for years before for preset stands and never really had issues.

With a portable stand that you can stack them on, other than the weight, the sticks work just fine. Strapping them to a pack or saddle platform has just been less than ideal for me. Think about how many less backpack iterations you would go through if you could ditch the climbing sticks.

The whole reason for hunting with a saddle for me is to be more compact and able to move freely with nothing to get hung up in brush, etc. I just want to go with the steps and stop the insanity of the constant tinkering. I need that extra time I’m wasting back.

My next move is to figure out a step option for areas I can’t use the Cranford, folding screw ins.

Have you considered Wild Edge Steps? Yeah, they have a fiddle factor. But after using them for a while, it becomes second nature. I carry an 8 pack of them in my backpack and hardly know they're there.

Have you considered Wild Edge Steps? Yeah, they have a fiddle factor. But after using them for a while, it becomes second nature. I carry an 8 pack of them in my backpack and hardly know they're there.
I had wild edge steps at one point and sold them. I liked them as a ring of steps. As far as a climbing method they were just ok for me.
Do you use the rope that comes with them or something else?

I would consider them again as an option where screw ins aren’t allowed I just wish there was a little less of the fiddle factor. There were some trees that they just didn’t play nice with.

Yep, using the stock ropes they come with. The more they get used and stretched out, the better they get. I get why people don't like the fiddle factor. I get a little frustrated myself sometimes. But I still like them due to the portability enough to make it worth it to me.

I had wild edge steps at one point and sold them. I liked them as a ring of steps. As far as a climbing method they were just ok for me.
Do you use the rope that comes with them or something else?

I would consider them again as an option where screw ins aren’t allowed I just wish there was a little less of the fiddle factor. There were some trees that they just didn’t play nice with.
Have you consider the bolts and drill option? I personally think they are the best preset and not a bad mobile method if allowed. If you want to fool around with aiders they can also be very effective in combo with steps.

I second the idea of using the Cranford rope on's where screw in's aren't allowed. I have a couple of sets hanging around in the wings for a special occasion. Fifteen rope steps and a ring of steps will fit in a kid's backpack. I have 2 such setups. It makes for a very compact system. If I wasn't so happy with 2TC that is likely what I would be using. I go way out and in thick cover so I need lite and streamlined.

Bolts are another great option where they are legal. You can get the hand drill and it does work, but a good cordless drill will be very fast and won't wear you out. For presets a cordless drill and a couple of batteries is the way to go.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 38

I have Tethrd One sticks and recently went back to this method.

And even bought another 12 steps so I could have them into my dotage.

It's my favorite method and it's not even close. It is better than screw in steps (faster, lighter, probably safer even) to me.

Once you do this attachment style a few times, it's dog simple.

Last edited:

I cannot for the life of me remember how to tie these damn things on. I've had them 4 years and I'll get the first 3 on just fine and then I get all flustered when one of them won't cantilever properly and then forget how to tie them on proper and struggle the rest of the way up. This year I hung them before the season and won't go mobile with them ever again. With a knaider and swaider these are amazing steps but I can't recommend them for ease of use by any means..

Follow the drawing on the bag and practice. It gets easier after you have done it enough times

I'm 40 and have been fishing since I was knee high to a duck and I STILL use knot reference cards.... it's like a dyslexia or something for me. I have worked on the tying technique so many times. It's not for lack of effort I assure you.

I cannot for the life of me remember how to tie these damn things on. I've had them 4 years and I'll get the first 3 on just fine and then I get all flustered when one of them won't cantilever properly and then forget how to tie them on proper and struggle the rest of the way up. This year I hung them before the season and won't go mobile with them ever again. With a knaider and swaider these are amazing steps but I can't recommend them for ease of use by any means..
Fear of that struggle is what kept me from trying them.

If this is a WEI thread now: I loved them, still kinda love them, practiced with them and made sure all the ropes were stretched. These were my primary method for 2 years. Practice makes perfect! I used a J.Cline (EWO) knaider/swaider setup, and I can literally tie these on (shortcut/loop tie vs. full-length with the end of the rope) and climb in the dark... Ask me how I know, also ask me why I now carry a backup headlamp... LOL!

I got my hands on a Sladder system and that has become my primary since I started using it. No giant weight advantage over the WEI Stepps (7 steps for 7 lbs.) because I need the climbing method and a platform and my rappel gear (about 7lbs. total also), but currently my preference. The Sladder will definitely be a "simpler" system for most people. I'm keeping my WEI Stepps though!

I'm 40 and have been fishing since I was knee high to a duck and I STILL use knot reference cards.... it's like a dyslexia or something for me. I have worked on the tying technique so many times. It's not for lack of effort I assure you.
Trust me. I hear ya. I scratch my head for awhile the first time out every season! Sometimes I think because one thinks it's more complicated than it actually is. The tendency is to over think it.

I'm using Muddy Pro's but have a W.E. on ea. side for a ROS. They give u lots of floor space to stand.

Back