• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ditching TX5 for Latitude Classic 2?

forkhorn83

Hey guys - first year saddle hunting. Got on the the wait list for TX5 and got one earlier this summer. I've been out hunting with it a few times and for being a newbie it's been a very nice, comfortable saddle. I'd say I've become hooked in a short amount of time. In typical fashion, I'm always looking for what's new or things I haven't tried. One that caught my eye was the Classic 2 saddle for a couple reasons - no buckles, lighter than my tx5, and more cost effective. For anyone who went from a TX5 to Classic or vice versa what are your thoughts? Would be interested in someone who has had a chance to try both.

Hey guys - first year saddle hunting. Got on the the wait list for TX5 and got one earlier this summer. I've been out hunting with it a few times and for being a newbie it's been a very nice, comfortable saddle. I'd say I've become hooked in a short amount of time. In typical fashion, I'm always looking for what's new or things I haven't tried. One that caught my eye was the Classic 2 saddle for a couple reasons - no buckles, lighter than my tx5, and more cost effective. For anyone who went from a TX5 to Classic or vice versa what are your thoughts? Would be interested in someone who has had a chance to try both.

AerialAssault @Zacrowsl did a review on the Classic 2. He's used both, which he mentions in his video on Youtube.

It would be interesting to hear some more opinions.

@enkriss I know has used TX5 and Classic 1.

I have had 3 TX5s an old mesh pleated one and a just prereaper mesh pleated and stretch cordura saddle. I thought the second pleated TX5 I had was the most comfortable of the 3.

I haven’t had a Reaper or Lonestar. Can’t comment on those …

I have both classics. They both feel similar and are my saddle of choice.

With that said what don’t you like about the TX5 and hope the Classic will do better?

Just because sumthin' is more expensive that doesn't really make it better...

I don't remember reading anything negative about the Classic 2 ?

Just because sumthin' is more expensive that doesn't really make it better...

I don't remember reading anything negative about the Classic 2 ?

The only thing negative I can say about the classic is they should of sacrificed some lineman’s loop and added a molle or 2 on each side. Other than that I love the saddle.

My first TX5 should be here Saturday so I can comment on it.
I haven’t sat in a Classic 2 but I love my first gen Method!

I had an itch to try a TX5, but it didn't seem to resolve the only issue I really have with my og AH Flex, chiefly bulk.

I pack my saddle until I'm at my hunting destination and the Flex is just kind of bulky to pack. I think this is a Cordura issue more than a Flex issue; when I watch folks handle the Reaper saddles in videos it reminds me of the Flex, albeit slightly trimmer.

The Classic and some others seem to be so much less rigid, I bet they pack like a dream. I had the Classic in the cart when they did the sale before the II model, but left it there. TheClassics still hold my interest.

Comparing my newly received TX5 to my Classic (original) which I've used on a few hunts.

Comfort: Both comfy, but slightly comfier in my Classic. I think because the Classic is slightly bigger than my medium TX5. Winner: Classic
Leg loops: TX5 has buckles. Classic has G hooks. Winner: TX5
Belt: Same Cobra buckle. Classic 2 has a metal free version. Tie
Bridge: Both Oplux. TX5 has one-sided adjustability and a prussik tender for a nice one-handed adjustment. Classic has two-sided adjustability, but no tender, so likely requires two hands. The amsteel prussiks on either bridges can get pretty tight, so might require two hands anyway to loosen, so it's a wash. Tie
Linemen loops: TX5's is right up against the bridge loops and is kinda bulky, which makes attaching biner sometimes awkward. Classic is further back and doesn't interfere with bridge loops. Winner: Classic
Bridge loops: TX5 is firmer than Classic's flimsy bridge loops, which makes it easier to adjust the amsteel bridge position. I think they updated this on the Classic 2. Winner: TX5
Packability: Classic packs really nice. TX5 is a little bulkier/heavier. Winner: Classic
Walkability: Both can cinch tightly on the waist without saddle sagging on the walk in/out. Tie
Stitching: Much better on the TX5. Winner: TX5

Overall, they are both great saddles.

Comparing my newly received TX5 to my Classic (original) which I've used on a few hunts.

Comfort: Both comfy, but slightly comfier in my Classic. I think because the Classic is slightly bigger than my medium TX5. Winner: Classic
Leg loops: TX5 has buckles. Classic has G hooks. Winner: TX5
Belt: Same Cobra buckle. Classic 2 has a metal free version. Tie
Bridge: Both Oplux. TX5 has one-sided adjustability and a prussik tender for a nice one-handed adjustment. Classic has two-sided adjustability, but no tender, so likely requires two hands. The amsteel prussiks on either bridges can get pretty tight, so might require two hands anyway to loosen, so it's a wash. Tie
Linemen loops: TX5's is right up against the bridge loops and is kinda bulky, which makes attaching biner sometimes awkward. Classic is further back and doesn't interfere with bridge loops. Winner: Classic
Bridge loops: TX5 is firmer than Classic's flimsy bridge loops, which makes it easier to adjust the amsteel bridge position. I think they updated this on the Classic 2. Winner: TX5
Packability: Classic packs really nice. TX5 is a little bulkier/heavier. Winner: Classic
Walkability: Both can cinch tightly on the waist without saddle sagging on the walk in/out. Tie
Stitching: Much better on the TX5. Winner: TX5

Overall, they are both great saddles.

Thanks for sharing this.

I'm surprised at only one evaluation. Leg loops. Is your preference for buckles a safety thing? I'd like to hear more on that if you don't mind sharing.

Again, thanks for a thoughtful comparison.

Leg loops. Is your preference for buckles a safety thing? I'd like to hear more on that if you don't mind sharing.

I like leg loops for safety if they are useable, well-integrated, and don't ride up. On my recon, they seem to be an after thought; I got frustrated and took them off. On the Classic, I fumble around trying to hook/unhook the G-hooks. If I leave the G-hook on and step in and out of the leg loops, that's just as annoying and I'm stumbling around about to lose my balance. Maybe the G-hooks are easier to use on the Classic 2. IMO, buckles on leg loops are much more easy to put on and take off making leg loops more pleasant to use. In this regard, I like TX5 and Cruzr.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess when I stated cost effective it was more I could probably sell my TX5 Reaper buy a Classic 2 and have a little money left over in my pocket. The TX5 is doing everything I want it to at this point. I went with cordura, but questioned if mesh would be better for me. At this point maybe I'll get a Classic 2, try both, and sell whatever one doesn't fit or end up keeping both :).

@Squatch or anyone else know when a couple of those "Minamalist" saddles will drop? I saw the Reapers and Lonestars are up for a second round, have checked TX5 website every day since the Facebook video introduction for one of those Minamalist saddles that were going to be sprinkled in, and haven't hit the jackpot.

AerialAssault @Zacrowsl did a review on the Classic 2. He's used both, which he mentions in his video on Youtube.

It would be interesting to hear some more opinions.

@enkriss I know has used TX5 and Classic 1.
The latitude classic is the best mass produced saddle in my opinion. The Tx5 is the best saddle available, but it comes at a premium price. The HPR system on the new Lonestar is as good as it gets. Creates a very unique experience unlike any other saddle. The best way I can explain it is that it feels your sitting on it and not in it. More so like sitting on a park swing. This has allowed my sweet spot in the saddle to be much larger. High tether, low tether, short bridge, long bridge, doesn't matter. I seem to find comfort much easier. This may not matter to some people, but when every tree is different and limbs are in diff places, being able to put your tether in many diff places and still be able to be comfortable is a very valuable asset to me

The latitude classic is the best mass produced saddle in my opinion. The Tx5 is the best saddle available, but it comes at a premium price. The HPR system on the new Lonestar is as good as it gets. Creates a very unique experience unlike any other saddle. The best way I can explain it is that it feels your sitting on it and not in it. More so like sitting on a park swing. This has allowed my sweet spot in the saddle to be much larger. High tether, low tether, short bridge, long bridge, doesn't matter. I seem to find comfort much easier. This may not matter to some people, but when every tree is different and limbs are in diff places, being able to put your tether in many diff places and still be able to be comfortable is a very valuable asset to me

Well put

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good feedback and much appreciated! That Lonestar sounds tempting. I'll probably ride with the Reaper this season and maybe check out the Lonestar afterwards as I doubt I would get it during the season anyways.

Back