• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY “PhantoMantis” or sell my Mantis and buy a Phantom?

TNbowhunter

I bought a new Mantis on Black Friday, which arrived in early December, and I got about five sits in it before my season ended. I definitely didn’t get my comfort fully dialed in, but I also haven’t had much time to figure it out.

I figure I could sell my barely-used Mantis for around $175, which would leave me paying $75 plus tax to cover the Phantom new.

My question to y’all is whether you recommend DIY’ing the Phantom upgrades onto my Mantis or selling the Mantis now and buying the Phantom instead? I’m relatively handy, but I don’t sew or have sewing equipment, so I’m figuring I’d have to invest time and money in that stuff before I could DIY anything anyway. It seems the money necessary to create my “PhantoMantis” would be about equal to just buying the Phantom, which is why I’m asking in the DIY section here—y’all are the experts!

Any advice is welcome (whether from Tethrd folks, competitors, neutrals, etc.)!

You could DIY the new adjustable bridge, maybe change the leg loop attachment. But I don't think you're going to easily fix the shape of the saddle frame which was the comfort flaw that scores of new and veteran saddle hunters alike experienced.

It's your money, $75 to me isn't worth very much hassle if you think the comfort upgrade has potential.

Maybe wait and see as the initial reviews come in? I've heard from only parties that sold the Mantis as a gamechanger and the Phantom as a game-changer-changer, so there's that....I did read they intended to stay more on top of their supply chain this go-round so if you trust that waiting shouldn't put you in a bind. That's my plan, wait and see.

You still within you 30 day return period? I’d just send it back and get a refund if the answer is yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You still within you 30 day return period? I’d just send it back and get a refund if the answer is yes.

This is a good first step. If you are wanting the Phantom, I have this disgusting need to hoard saddles so I know I would just end up keeping the Mantis and purchasing the Phantom. Then give both a solid time period, and decide to keep both or sell one.

You could DIY the new adjustable bridge, maybe change the leg loop attachment. But I don't think you're going to easily fix the shape of the saddle frame which was the comfort flaw that scores of new and veteran saddle hunters alike experienced.

It's your money, $75 to me isn't worth very much hassle if you think the comfort upgrade has potential.

Maybe wait and see as the initial reviews come in? I've heard from only parties that sold the Mantis as a gamechanger and the Phantom as a game-changer-changer, so there's that....I did read they intended to stay more on top of their supply chain this go-round so if you trust that waiting shouldn't put you in a bind. That's my plan, wait and see.
The more the game changes, the more it remains the same. It's all good. :D

I bought a new Mantis on Black Friday, which arrived in early December, and I got about five sits in it before my season ended. I definitely didn’t get my comfort fully dialed in, but I also haven’t had much time to figure it out.

I figure I could sell my barely-used Mantis for around $175, which would leave me paying $75 plus tax to cover the Phantom new.

My question to y’all is whether you recommend DIY’ing the Phantom upgrades onto my Mantis or selling the Mantis now and buying the Phantom instead? I’m relatively handy, but I don’t sew or have sewing equipment, so I’m figuring I’d have to invest time and money in that stuff before I could DIY anything anyway. It seems the money necessary to create my “PhantoMantis” would be about equal to just buying the Phantom, which is why I’m asking in the DIY section here—y’all are the experts!

I’m in the same boat. I don’t know what to do. I got mine after Christmas and only used it once to see how it fit.

I’m in the same boat. I don’t know what to do. I got mine after Christmas and only used it once to see how it fit.

Guys recommend you give G2 a shout. you can certainly DIY some aspects but not all of them.

Personally, as someone that has ACTUALLY USED both, I will be using the Phantom even though I currently own several Mantis. It has a smaller profile, replaceable and adjustable bridge, the comfort loops make a difference when going from sitting to leaning, it's very compactable, very lightweight, better leg loop attachment, awesome lineman belt attachment and is more comfortable than any other saddle I've sat in. It is the first saddle that is actually constructed in a shape specifically designed for comfort. It stays put. I used it all season even though I had many other options available to me. I dont compromise on the gear I use when I'm hunting.

The Phantom is legit. Plenty of other reviews from ATA to include John Eberhart.... a name most saddle hunters know.

You can PM me if you would like to discuss further, I'd love to discuss both saddles, as I want you to get into the saddle that fits you best.

Last edited:

I received my mantis and had the opportunity to try it 15min and now I see there is a new model... felt it is not comfy like everyone claims on youtube etc... I was thinking about buying the phantom but nothing garantees that it is more comfortable. So I will try to find a comfy position with my mantis and once people will try the phantom then If I am still not satisfied with the mantis (or modified mantis) I will consider not only the phantom but also other options like aerohunter etc. Anyway I am not in a hurry hunting season is over.

Guys recommend you give G2 a shout. you can certainly DIY some aspects but not all of them.

Personally, as someone that has ACTUALLY USED both, I will be using the Phantom even though I currently own several Mantis. It has a smaller profile, replaceable and adjustable bridge, the comfort loops make a difference when going from sitting to leaning, it's very compactable, very lightweight, better leg loop attachment, awesome lineman belt attachment and is more comfortable than any other saddle I've sat in. It is the first saddle that is actually constructed in a shape specifically designed for comfort. It stays put. I used it all season even though I had many other options available to me. I dont compromise on the gear I use when I'm hunting.

The Phantom is legit. Plenty of other reviews from ATA to include John Eberhart.... a name most saddle hunters know.

You can PM me if you would like to discuss further, I'd love to discuss both saddles, as I want you to get into the saddle that fits you best.
Dave,
I believe you are in violation of the vendor access rules.

I guess I'm really confused. I'm on my phone and this shows this is in the vendor area? I just look at new posts so I'm not sure if I'm even seeing this right?

He might be referring to the missing company logo next to your screen name which is required now so Tapatalk users can tell affiliations.

Not sure though. Just guessing. Might be something else.

@DaveT1963 This was originally posted NOT in the vendor section, we moved it because we thought that would be better then deleting it and that still causes a snarky comment from @IkemanTX. We are trying to make it better but the quick draw responses do not help mend any bridges.

When people solicit advice outside the vendor area vendors are asked not to comment, let the members. If a member wants vendor interaction it needs to be posted on vendor area. And no one calls it tethrd time out that’s ridiculous and quite frankly inappropriate.

Follow the basic rule and all is good. How about we all work on being a part of the solution instead of a part of the problem.

@IkemanTX understand. I got the you're a bad boy warning today for posting an article about ATA.... I didnt say a word just posted the article. Used to be a time where people would be thrilled a saddle company was most visited booth at a show. Times have changed I suppose. To bad for newbies

Unfortunately this is not true, you are and were allowed to post the video in the vendor section. You got a “bad boy warning” For something else today. That Tethrd announcement post is still up and in the ATA 2020 thread so please let’s not exaggerate to get the affect your looking for. And btw I gave it a like, it’s great for the common goal of promoting saddle hunting, good job by the brass of Tethrd and the guys that were there.

Why would anyone not want people that have used a product not post on it. Frankly there seems to be far more folks that can't wait to post snarky comments about a product they have never seen. Seems reasonable that reps should be able to correct misconceptions? I cant see vendor area when on my samsung phone... it shows up as new post.

@DaveT1963 This was originally posted NOT in the vendor section, we moved it because we thought that would be better then deleting it and that still causes a snarky comment from @IkemanTX. We are trying to make it better but the quick draw responses do not help mend any bridges.

When people solicit advice outside the vendor area vendors are asked not to comment, let the members. If a member wants vendor interaction it needs to be posted on vendor area. And no one calls it tethrd time out that’s ridiculous and quite frankly inappropriate.

Follow the basic rule and all is good. How about we all work on being a part of the solution instead of a part of the problem.

Although perhaps a bit too snarky, I feel my comment is a very accurate description of the limitations that are placed on anyone associated with any person/company who sells hunting related anything.

I said we couldn’t talk tethrd anywhere but the “time out area” meaning vendor area. I don’t think this is exclusively aimed at people associated with tethrd, the rules are equally applied across brands. They have just ended up with us not being able to mention ANY of the gear we personally use anymore, essentially kept us from discussing any competitor’s products as well lest our bias be construed as talking negatively, answer anyone’s questions when someone is seeking assistance.

I am not trying to stir a pot, or be nasty.. I just am genuinely trying to figure out what that leaves me to talk about on this site with such massive no go zones. It’s probably just like a new pair of shoes... the break-in period is tough, there may be blisters, but hopefully saddlehunter ends fitting like a well worn pair of shoes again at some point.

Why would anyone not want people that have used a product not post on it. Frankly there seems to be far more folks that can't wait to post snarky comments about a product they have never seen. Seems reasonable that reps should be able to correct misconceptions? I cant see vendor area when on my samsung phone... it shows up as new post.

I believe that vendor posts do not show up as new posts. You need to enter the area and look at what’s posted. These snarky comments you are referring to are not from mods or ownership it is from the customer base who for whatever their reasons have an issue, stop blaming the forum for that. They are members with their opinions. Every company has customers that are unhappy. That’s how it goes. Sometimes formed by personal experiences, sometimes from what they read, mostly on Facebook not here brother.

Like I said work with us not against us and we can see some growth continue blaming the forum for everything you do not agree with is short sighted.
If you want to have these conversations off the forum instead of here you have my number. I only responded because you came to the forum with your concerns.

Back