• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY aider. 3 LW sticks will get you to 25’

I think the bungee hip attachment is a great idea. Seems like a motor skill that’s easier to achieve than the knee

Top of the stick is at 8’. Easier to use in dark because your point of contact is near your hip and you use your hand to manipulate it instead of you’re foot. Lightweight, packable and self retracting on the way up the tree
Another way to get it done. ;)

I like it. Should we name this the “Raider” ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we get a close up of the hook.
Looks like a rachet strap hook?

Looks like it functions well with sticks that have alternating steps, and three of them.

The idea behind the knaider/swaider is that they both attach to either side of a lower double step, or the same stepp. They’re also different lengths, which gains you height as you step into each.

How would your system work on a two step(short) stick?

Looks like it functions well with sticks that have alternating steps, and three of them.

The idea behind the knaider/swaider is that they both attach to either side of a lower double step, or the same stepp. They’re also different lengths, which gains you height as you step into each.

How would your system work on a two step(short) stick?

I was thinking about that same question (in the shower this AM).
I related it to my beast sticks. Each step is 22" apart on the sticks.
If you made each aider 44" from sole to hook it would work as follows.
First right hook on the bottom step, move up.
Second left hook on the top step, Move up.
Next step right foot on bottom step.
Step left foot on top step.

For each beast stick you could get 88" to top step
With 4 sticks and a platform your over 30'

If you added a hook at 22" on one aider you could switch to knaider style on the way up and keep the sticks closer.
Two sticks at 88" and two at 66" still get you over 25'.

Last edited:
I'm 6'3, and I can set a stick's top step at 85" on a tree smaller than 18" diameter fairly easily. I'm not so sure that's the case on bigger trees, or for folks under 6'. Not picking nits, just want to help manage folks' expectations. I think 6.5-7' is a reasonable goal to shoot for. It might not matter to folks carrying four sticks, but a 5'6 guy might think he can get to 25' with three sticks and a platform, and that's not the case.

You're right though on how you'd use the aiders by the OP with a short stick.

I'm not crazy about the open hooks - that's why the swaider has a carabiner. Because of the length of it, and the angles that can be introduced while climbing, you want that thing properly attached. With the knaider, it's affixed to your knee, effectively keeping it loaded/proper angle because your leg is rigid.

I was thinking about that same question (in the shower this AM).
I related it to my beast sticks. Each step is 22" apart on the sticks.
If you made each aider 44" from sole to hook it would work as follows.
First right hook on the bottom step, move up.
Second left hook on the top step, Move up.
Next step right foot on bottom step.
Step left foot on top step.

For each beast stick you could get 88" to top step
With 4 sticks and a platform your over 30'

If you added a hook at 22" on one aider you could switch to knaider style on the way up and keep the sticks closer.
Two sticks at 88" and two at 66" still get you over 25'.

View attachment 13154

It is just a ratchet strap. Bunch of different hooks to pic from and they are usually rubber coated. Used this one for 2 years. My next on will have a snap to keep it on my 2E03F659-B783-4F23-A86C-6E6E836157B3.jpegfoot

You can just use a stick at ground level to get the first stick as high as you want. Starts getting complicated tho.
Even at 80" hight your first step will just be shorter.

To answer a couple questions. I’ve used the current model for 2 years and never had the hook slip. I am 6’1” so a person who is shorter may only get 22’ on a similar tree. Because most videos have people climbing trees similar to telephone poles I just made a video climbing a big pine tree with a ton of branches I only got 22’ on that one cause of the diameter and branches getting in the way. Too be honest these last 2 times were the only time I’ve ever measured height cause people keep asking. I was actually surprised how high even 22’ is. I’ve thought about getting the Beast sticks and don’t think there would any difference but I have never tried sticks shorter than my current LW’s

Top of the stick is at 8’. Easier to use in dark because your point of contact is near your hip and you use your hand to manipulate it instead of you’re foot. Lightweight, packable and self retracting on the way up the tree

Did anyone else try this method in the last year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Did anyone else try this method in the last year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I updated the system. I added a prussic to the bungee cord so I can adjust the tension and a sliding knot to attach to the foot. I used 3 muddy short sticks for most of the season and got the same height. This year I will be using the LWCG sticks. I will post an updated video when they come in.

Back