• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY AIDER AND WE STEP MODS-PICS

KYdalton

Hey saddle brothers, season opener is next Saturday and I still find myself doing last minute changes to my gear. That being said last year I ran 8 wild edge steps and managed to get about 18ft. Plenty high enough in the right cover. I wanted to pack less steps this year and wanted to purchase an aider. I bought a 4 step aider off amazon and hated it. The stirrups were too small and squeezed my feet to the.point where it was too uncomfortable. Plus I found that it isn't easy using an aider on WE steps bc the carabiner slides back and forth on the rung. Soooooo I decided to make some modifications to the steps and make my own 5 step aider. I will post pics of the mods. Would love to hear your guys thoughts and ideas

Here is an aider i made today. Its 64" long and 8" wide. I sewed it up using old ratchet strap webbing rated for 1000 lbs. I hook it on my w/e step.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-01-21-52-32.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-01-21-52-32.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot_2020-09-01-21-52-18.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-01-21-52-18.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_2020-09-01-21-52-05.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-01-21-52-05.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
Here is an aider i made today. Its 64" long and 8" wide. I sewed it up using old ratchet strap webbing rated for 1000 lbs. I hook it on my w/e step.

Looks good. Did you put anything in the step treads to stiffen them? Without it, I found that stepping on the first step pulled the sides close together and made it hard to get my foot into the second step.

Looks good. Did you put anything in the step treads to stiffen them? Without it, I found that stepping on the first step pulled the sides close together and made it hard to get my foot into the second step.
Well i was going to but when i had it pinned up before I sewed it i noticed it didn't collapse. The tread of the step is doubled and i made it 8" wide rather than 6". So it stays open and works like a champ. I had thought of running sections out water hose around the strap but there is no need to.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

I always worry about the carabiner sliding on the we steps, so I've found a way to solve the issue pics coming

You may want to search for thread on WE stepp mods. I believe some people came up with lighter solutions.

I want to say it was jb weld but don't quote me on that

Use JB Weld in the hollow ends so they don’t dig in and damage the tree so much.

Cable ties and vet tape (as mentioned previously) is the common approach to keeping the hook or biner on a knaider, swaider or aider centered on the stepp.

Lots of threads on this stuff from last year. Good ideas out there.

I want to say it was jb weld but don't quote me on that
I think some folks used jb weld on the rung, but the zip tie is removable but still solid. I also used jb inside the stand offs to reduce the coring action on thin barked trees

Bad pic on a worn step but I hope you get the jist.
6069522e0feeb8874e57db4c856c0085.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back