• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Amsteel Aider Help

Bach55

I’m working on a DIY Amsteel aider. I’ve done Amsteel rope mods before, but this is presenting a challenge I had not thought through. I made my first loop with the locked Brummel splice. But now when I go to make the second one (circled in red) I can’t pull the rest of the Amsteel through like I’m supposed to in order to create the second locked Brummel. The previous loop as well as the plastic tubing are in the way and too big to pull through.

What am I missing here? I’m sure it may be something obvious, but I can’t figure it out.

Attachments

• A87E0A8D-F9E8-4446-8F2C-F92323EB20EB.jpeg
    A87E0A8D-F9E8-4446-8F2C-F92323EB20EB.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 55
You just have to work the loop through. It take a little doing, but it will pass through. I found that a small guage wire slipped through the loop and passed through the "hole" that you rpulling through compresses it quite a bit and it goes a bit easier

Use electrical or scotch tape around the end you need to pass through. It compresses it down and makes it easier to fit through. Also use something to expand the hole as much as possible. If it’s 7/64 I’d recommend a sharpie.

Couple things I see: One, I've personally never seen tubing applied before the splices we're finished. I made the same thing as you and rubber gas line tubing over everything after the fact no problem. Two, you didn't bury the tag end on the finished side. That will help the whole thing slide through too. If you insist on leaving that tubing on there, I know there is a video out there where they brummel lock a loop by passing the loop from the same end through the rope. They somehow take the twist out with another splice.

You can do a locked Brummell from one end. You just can’t capture anything with the loop when doing it. I did it on my synthetic winch rope for my utv so I didn’t have to remove it from the winch spool. If you Google locked Brummell one end you should find some videos showing how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks guys. I was able to get it done with a little finagling. Burying the end of the first splice helped. Widening the hole with another piece of tubing was key in getting it big enough to let everything pass through.

Back