• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Arrow saw build.

Shapeshifter

SH Member
I've been wanting to do this for awhile now and finally got around to doing so. I wanted to get into building my own arrows this off season. Going to switch from my 5mm Easton FMJ to the 5mm Easton Axis. I picked up a Bitzenburger Jig with a left helical wing, however I didn't want to shell out $180 to $200 for an arrow saw though. I watched a couple of videos on the tube on diy saw builds and was able to get inspired to build my own for less than half the price of a store bought one. The most expensive item on my saw was the mini saw that I picked up at Harbor Freight for $40. I figure that at most I spent $65 for the total build and maybe 6 to 8 hours total build time. I realize that it's not the quality and maybe the precision of a store bought one but it's pretty close, at least for my purposes. All in all I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. Can't wait to start cutting some shafts. I'll have to post some follow-up pictures of of my first dozen diy arrows once I get them done.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240322_102357_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_102357_Gallery.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20240322_102406_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_102406_Gallery.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20240322_102426_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_102426_Gallery.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20240322_102542_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_102542_Gallery.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20240322_103011_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_103011_Gallery.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20240322_103037_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_103037_Gallery.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 56
I've been wanting to do this for awhile now and finally got around to doing so. I wanted to get into building my own arrows this off season. Going to switch from my 5mm Easton FMJ to the 5mm Easton Axis. I picked up a Bitzenburger Jig with a left helical wing, however I didn't want to shell out $180 to $200 for an arrow saw though. I watched a couple of videos on the tube on diy saw builds and was able to get inspired to build my own for less than half the price of a store bought one. The most expensive item on my saw was the mini saw that I picked up at Harbor Freight for $40. I figure that at most I spent $65 for the total build and maybe 6 to 8 hours total build time. I realize that it's not the quality and maybe the precision of a store bought one but it's pretty close, at least for my purposes. All in all I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. Can't wait to start cutting some shafts. I'll have to post some follow-up pictures of of my first dozen diy arrows once I get them done.
Be sure to square the ends and you should be good to go. Nice build!!

I did the same, I cut a few pieces of an old carbon arrow and it did a pretty decent job.

One piece of advice. Even if your not cutting any thing run the saw every once in a while. Those motors have a bit of a tendency to seize up if they sit for long periods of time. I have been through a couple my current one has been working for years. Might be that the problem was resolved or that I start it up occasionally. Either way I have been happy and cut hundreds of arrows with them

One piece of advice. Even if your not cutting any thing run the saw every once in a while. Those motors have a bit of a tendency to seize up if they sit for long periods of time. I have been through a couple my current one has been working for years. Might be that the problem was resolved or that I start it up occasionally. Either way I have been happy and cut hundreds of arrows with them
Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I do that. Appreciate it bro.

Human ingenuity is a beautiful thing.

Nice work!

I’m a huge advocate of DIY. Making things builds mental capacity and physical skills that make a person more capable of building other things. Ingenuity is a muscle that develops and grows with use. Keep up the great work!

Back