• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY chest rig

LeanMachine

Primary purpose for this is saddle/treestand hunting. I have run a small cheap fanny pack for a couple of years that did the same thing but decided having it on my chest would be more convenient. Also allowed me to build in features i wanted. This is pretty similar to a marsupial Joey pack. Most of the time I am climbing with a treehopper drill and bolts. This holds that and my saw and nippers with room to spare. I put leather pouches on the back so once I'm at my desired tree, I can take saw and nippers out of pack and put them on the rear of the pack to be out of the way and easily accessible for repeated in and out use. Went with leather for those slots for long term durability, but it is also silent.

The camo is from a vintage pair of pants I've held onto forever. It's not very durable so I laminated it with 500d.

Has loops on bottom to accept a marsupial style holster.

Front zipper pocket will hold cell phone. Vertically it sticks out enough to be easy to grab out quickly to reference on x. Horizontally it fits fully without issue.

Will also make a great fishing pack for me.
152bda633079c7555f6639ad66a82450.jpg
90a45fd40a22a99dd4b713c3f9b00e72.jpg
9e1fbd66275459372e10cebcc78bcfc4.jpg
e4e244fe75e638c8a680486252d59106.jpg
2c42ed433a904866a6a4da4ef5471457.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I love it my chest rig I built doesn’t even come close to that I’m gonna have to pick your brain on that design

You have to stop doing this to me. Every time you make something like this I end up making my own.

You have to stop doing this to me. Every time you make something like this I end up making my own.
Inspiration is the best! Life has been crazy busy and I don't get to piddle much. This is actually attempt number 2 at this. First one I was in a hurry for design and build. Both aspects suffered as a result. So I waited to try again until I could take my time and enjoy the process. Also made tweaks to the design to add functionality and make assembly easier. Let me tell ya, if you can make something small like this, making a big bag is a piece of cake.

I will also add that those corona pruners are nice! These are sub $20. Streamlined for easy in and out. Gel padded handles too. Pruners get heavy use from me in Texas. Lots of green briar and such. Such a great tool for almost silently clearing obstructions. I've even used them on stalks. You get into a spot that is impossible to advance without making noise. Do a little trimming and keep moving. Wouldn't have killed this guy without pruners. I've used cheap random brands in the past. The coronas are a step above and not much more expensive.
54f7be7dec199ea116053df9f5da8384.jpg

I will also add that those corona pruners are nice! These are sub $20. Streamlined for easy in and out. Gel padded handles too. Pruners get heavy use from me in Texas. Lots of green briar and such. Such a great tool for almost silently clearing obstructions. I've even used them on stalks. You get into a spot that is impossible to advance without making noise. Do a little trimming and keep moving. Wouldn't have killed this guy without pruners. I've used cheap random brands in the past. The coronas are a step above and not much more expensive.

Never thought about carrying pruners for my walks in/out. We can't cut stuff down on public obviously and I wouldn't try to trim limbs for sets, but pruners in hand to get big thorns and briars out of the way seems totally reasonable.

Nothing I could say would do that justice..speechless.
Well....I was thinking a chest rig while sitting still in a hunting tree seat would be a handy thing. But I would have to have or create patterns or it would come out looking something outta a Stephen king horror

I’ve been wanting to make one of these but didn’t know where to start. I’m going to start getting materials and I may hit you up for some dimensions and plans if that’s alright. Looks awesome! I’m always impressed with your work.

Well....I was thinking a chest rig while sitting still in a hunting tree seat would be a handy thing. But I would have to have or create patterns or it would come out looking something outta a Stephen king horror
Exactly. It is under utilized real estate. And probably the most accessible, particularly in a saddle. Quiet was a big priority for me. I selected fabrics with a balance of tough and quiet. Helps to have a large selection on hand.

I’ve been wanting to make one of these but didn’t know where to start. I’m going to start getting materials and I may hit you up for some dimensions and plans if that’s alright. Looks awesome! I’m always impressed with your work.
The patterns are so crazy basic. And no need to get fancy and add zippered pockets, though they aren't hard. Just intimidating at first. I will try to remember to add some rough build instructions soon to help out those who are interested. I always plan to take pics throughout the build I it never seems to happen. I do have one of the front panel, pre assembly. It helped me a lot when I realized that complex things are just simple panels sewn together.
2cc75aa22f934c823617fe84fef38faa.jpg
e6e751315678bbb76f00cd54c20bcdd7.jpg

If you got plans and dimensions I would love to get a set I’m gonna rebuild my chest rigs your version is a lot nicer

How about the rough dimensions? Length x width x depth? Then we can all drive ourselves crazy trying to create our own booby pack.

How about the rough dimensions? Length x width x depth? Then we can all drive ourselves crazy trying to create our own booby pack.
Rough is 10x7 before sew up. Total width of the panel that creates the thickness was 2 13/16 before sew up. None of that is critical. I just kind of winged it. I cut strips 1 1/4 to sew onto sides of zipper. After sewn on I measure that total width. That's where I got 2 13/16. Then I just cut a strip that wide to sew to ends of zipper panel to go around bottom of pack. I only sew one end to the zipper. Then I clip it all to the front panel like it will be sewn, and then cut the excess length off (leaving enough for seam to join to other end of zipper). This keeps me from having to calculate the length.

Rough is 10x7 before sew up. Total width of the panel that creates the thickness was 2 13/16 before sew up. None of that is critical. I just kind of winged it. I cut strips 1 1/4 to sew onto sides of zipper. After sewn on I measure that total width. That's where I got 2 13/16. Then I just cut a strip that wide to sew to ends of zipper panel to go around bottom of pack. I only sew one end to the zipper. Then I clip it all to the front panel like it will be sewn, and then cut the excess length off (leaving enough for seam to join to other end of zipper). This keeps me from having to calculate the length.

Thanks

Awesome job.
I run this one the last two seasons and it’s amazing. Grunt calls fit perfectly on the bottom also and you can pull it out from left or right side. If you aren’t a fan of grunt calls, it will fit snacks.

Back