• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Doyle’s Hoist Help

Patriot

I’ve been unsuccessful in using search to find my answer but I am almost sure I’ve seen it before.

I’m modifying a harbor freight dog leash into a Doyle’s hoist for bow but most importantly for attaching to my delta link to retrieve my repel line after I descend the tree.

everyone recommended dyneema line but I can’t find which rope to buy that is AFFORDABLE, strong enough without stretch, but also thin enough to get ~35 ft re-reeled into the dog leash.

anybody have Amazon links/pics for the right rope?

anyone have advice or tips for this DIY? I suck at DIY. I can hardly build a snowman.

Brother 7/64 amsteel will work or throw line snd you know where I live I can help with it

Let me ask folks this - why not paracord? I know it’s been discussed but I can’t find it

Is it that paracod isn’t static?

I don't know for sure if this meets your criteria for fitting in the reel (it's definitely smaller than 7/64th amsteel) and affordability (25 cents/foot), but this stuff is strong and static:
dynaGLIDE Throwline (1.8mm) – Eastern Woods Outdoors (doublesteps.com)

I have used paracord to pull down my rap rope and it works, but you do have to do quite a bit of pulling to get the stretch out first before the rap rope starts coming down. It's doable, but not ideal. I bought some of the dynaGlide to try. I think 550 paracord would be thicker than the dynaGlide, but it is cheap and easy to try.

I am curious how you will lower your bow and then use your DIY Doyles to attach to your rap rope. What's your plan? I've been noodling different things and don't have a silver bullet idea for that.

That’s the throw line I was talking about I couldn’t remember the name duh! That will work and I also have some cord that’s slightly smaller than the Dyna glide

I don't know for sure if this meets your criteria for fitting in the reel (it's definitely smaller than 7/64th amsteel) and affordability (25 cents/foot), but this stuff is strong and static:

I have used paracord to pull down my rap rope and it works, but you do have to do quite a bit of pulling to get the stretch out first before the rap rope starts coming down. It's doable, but not ideal. I bought some of the dynaGlide to try. I think 550 paracord would be thicker than the dynaGlide, but it is cheap and easy to try.

I am curious how you will lower your bow and then use your DIY Doyles to attach to your rap rope. What's your plan? I've been noodling different things and don't have a silver bullet idea for that.

I lower my bow/gun with the rappel line tag end and connect to the delta with my dog leash for the trip down.

I like Dynaglide the best, but I have also used Emma Kites UHMWPE kite line. Here is a link. I have used their 1.8mm, which I don’t see currently. The 1.6 or 2.0 mm would be fine for your needs.

emma kites UHMWPE Braided Cord 100~1000lb High Strength Least Stretch Tent Tarp Rain Fly Guyline Hammock Ridgeline Suspension for Camping Hiking Backpacking Survival Recreational Marine Outdoors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085XXC5NG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NSES74N6HWNZ9VBAMZ35?psc=1

I like Dynaglide the best, but I have also used Emma Kites UHMWPE kite line. Here is a link. I have used their 1.8mm, which I don’t see currently. The 1.6 or 2.0 mm would be fine for your needs.

emma kites UHMWPE Braided Cord 100~1000lb High Strength Least Stretch Tent Tarp Rain Fly Guyline Hammock Ridgeline Suspension for Camping Hiking Backpacking Survival Recreational Marine Outdoors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085XXC5NG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NSES74N6HWNZ9VBAMZ35?psc=1

this stuff looks good and cheap!

this is the stuff I was thinking of. Sounds like 550 is not ideal. That’s what i remember reading from others as well. I’ll probably go with this stuff.

as far as the bow vs delta. Mostly I carry my bow in my pack up and down the tree but sometimes I like to pull it up, and going up isn’t a problem with regard to the delta link. I would just have to carry it down or hook my bow to a biner on the back of my saddle for the decent.

If you’re looking for the best price on dynaglide throw line, you should check out Bartlett Arborist Supply. $0.15 per foot for a 100’ Hank, $0.14 per foot for a 150 foot Hank, and $0.13 per foot for a 200 foot Hank. I’ve never seen dynaglide throw line this cheap anywhere else. It works great for a pull up and pull down line and its tensile strength is 1000 lbs. Unlike paracord, this line has zero stretch, so it’s much better than paracord for a pull down line. You’ll want to wrap it around a short stick a few times though, to have the grip on it needed to yank your rappel line down without hurting your fingers.

https://www.bartlettman.com/products/dynaglide-throwline?_pos=1&_sid=a9f9ace51&_ss=r

i ordered 40 ft from Dan O, I’ll let you know how it works out in about a week.
If you can get 50 foot in it I'll buy one I use a 40 foot rap rope so my stand teather high max is probably 38 feet but sometimes you need to get away from the tree for more leverage

Emma kites on amazon sells braided dyneema kite lines up to 1000lb test.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Okay I did it kinda. I can get 32 feet of Dan Os dyneema on it. Works pretty good but it makes a little noise as it spins. Probably not enough to worry me but still if you lower a bow or something with it it is definitely audible.

it’s pretty light though. I dnot have a scale but I hear Doyle’s are heavy

I think 32 feet is enough for me to retrieve my repel line even if I have to walk away from the try because I very rarely get to 20 feet and I can’t imagine ever going above 22 feet unless I’m out of state.

Okay I did it kinda. I can get 32 feet of Dan Os dyneema on it. Works pretty good but it makes a little noise as it spins. Probably not enough to worry me but still if you lower a bow or something with it it is definitely audible.

it’s pretty light though. I dnot have a scale but I hear Doyle’s are heavy

I think 32 feet is enough for me to retrieve my repel line even if I have to walk away from the try because I very rarely get to 20 feet and I can’t imagine ever going above 22 feet unless I’m out of state.
I hunt pine plantations and old growth swamp the trees I'm in are huge to get to cover might take 50 feet so I hunt at 30 to 40 feet to get out of line of sight. Thanks for the info I was gonna buy one but now I know thanks

Back