• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy metal-less climbing method

Weldabeast

SH Member
I'm not quite finished but I can't figure out how to send pictures in private message so I'll just go ahead and show what I been working on.....I've climbed with the anchor point ropes and aider already but still working on the aider transition stirrup

I have lots of climbing sticks....my current set are pretty much perfect for me. I just don't like carrying them and I really don't like the potential noise they can make. I also am tired of kneeling at the base of the tree packing things up. So this climbing method will really be a whole system because if I do it all correctly I will never have to fiddle around at the base of the tree except for setting/picking bow off the ground.

The.anchor points are 8mm static climbing rope that are attached to the tree.with a timber hitch. I've tested the knot and with a minimum of 3 wraps they are good to go.

The aider started as 20ft of 1.5 webbing. Step spacing is 16'' all 4 steps. The steps have heavy canvas 1.25 belt strap sewn in to hold the step open. 8'' of reflective 1'' webbing added. The steps are very stiff and hard to make them bend. My original thought was a soft shackle connection to the anchor rope but after practicing with it it is too difficult to get it undone while your up on your tiptoes leaning funny on roots....so I'm thinking a non screw gate biner vet wrapped (technically makes my metal-less claim a fib)

IMG_20200201_110810_01.jpgIMG_20200201_225849_01.jpgIMG_20200202_160722_9.jpgIMG_20200202_161141_0.jpg

The stirrups will always be attached to the anchor ropes. I'm making 4 stirrups to go with the 4.ropes. these will have to be heavy duty and stable. This will be the transition point to step into and detach the aider which will be coming with me. 1 rope and 1 stirrup will be on the tree at each attachment point . The rope/stirrup combo pretty much just replaces sticks. I cut apart 2'' overhead lifting strap and in the process of making the stirrups main body out of it. 2'' webbing will make up the rest of the stirrup

IMG_20200206_221422_4.jpgIMG_20200206_221449_5.jpgIMG_20200206_221436_6.jpg

Last edited:
Have you seen the arc tree ladder?
I have this and as soon as I can figure out a method to carry it and deploy it without having to leave it on the ground and pull it up as I comb it will be awesome!! Just haven't had time to fiddle with it yet!!!!

I really liked the look of the Arc saddle also wonder why they stopped production?

I climb with sticks.like the new g2 video....this stuff here is essentially just like climbing a stick with only a bottom step...

The red loops are the foot stirrups. The thick 2'' overhead lifting strap keeps the aider 2'' off the tree and with how stout the aider is no more hard time finding the loop with your foot. Step into stirrup, reach down undo aider, reach up and do it all againIMG_20200202_161141_0~2.jpg

I like the looks of it. Just curious though, why not just use just this one and move it like single sticking and then repel down?

I guess it's like a soft wild edge step
Exactly what I was thinking as I looked at the last picture above. I use WE stepps with a three step aider, attached via an S hook so I don’t have to mess with the carabiner. Also tie a string from the S hook to my belt loop so I can lift the aider without bending down (I’m not very flexible) and in case I drop the aider.
Only issue I’ve encountered is with a leaning split tree, the aider doesn’t line up with the trunk at the bottom and makes it hard to start your climb. The best solution I’ve come up with is to have an extra squirrel step and place it half way up on the downside portion.
Overall I like the idea, girth hitching the soft step is easier and more consistent than the WE stepp and more compact.

I like the concept. I have always liked BD 6 step aiders but have never found a good way to use them without sticks. Make me three to try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So as you climb up, do the stirrups get left on the tree? Or are you attaching/detaching as you go up?

Back