• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY predator style platform

buckwalleye

This is my first season saddle hunting. It's a big adjustment for me...and honestly I'm not totally in love with it yet. I'm hoping this platform will be the game changer for me.

So what we have here is the seat section of my lone wolf alpha hand climber. My first hunts in the saddle I was using it as it comes....with the traction belt. It just wasn't working out. Any kind of side stepping and it would want to kick out on me. And it never felt secure enough even if just leaning or going into a seated position directly facing the tree. I ended up putting a screw in step with the traction belt going around it, and that did seem to help. But this sucker is rock solid now.

So I ordered 2 versa buttons, tree bracket, and strap from lone wolf. 1 1/4 aluminum bar stock, and a couple scrap aluminum angle pieces i cut as the brackets. Drilled and tapped on the platform to give adjustment for various tree angles. I wasn't sure how the welds would go, but thankfully it went good. Had to mill out the tree bracket to get it to that 1 1/4 of the bar stock. Also cut that little back piece out in order for the bar to pivot flat. I got about $50 in this DIY. And if I ever want to use the climber as a climber, it's still able. The brackets are welded to the under side of the seat. And IMO, the bottom of the seat is better to stand on because the other side has a raised edge where the seat cushion butts up to. This weighs in at 4.4 lbs.

Where to put my feet was, and still is, the biggest issue for me. I bought a set of wildedge stepps and tried using 2 as my footrest as a run and gun set up. I feel like that weak side shot is almost impossible this way. The bridge on the saddle is just right in the way. The only possible way, for me, to pull off a week side shot is to fully stand on a platform with your back to the tree, and loosen your tether. I dont know how you guys get weak side shots off with a ring of steps or a few wild edge stepps as your platform. (Or hunt for any length of time comfortably!)

I defintaly need more hands on time with those wild edge stepps too. They're a pain in the a** for me right now. And man, they do a suprising amount of damage to a tree. I may be looking for a set of spurs in the future, but for this season I'm just going with what I got. Money adds up quickly in the saddle!!
fe605bf1ff72b51b1b234be139f441fb.jpg
a2077c730fd3778594ec2fa883912048.jpg
b1c80438dfee1d22bdfa70e37c01dbf2.jpg
87ae0f86f7e92ac67f96732f056d36d9.jpg
1254cb5efa02bb02df77e724c92d8e62.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nice work... I've envisioned the same thing and already have most of the components including the same LW hand climber seat. This will definitely be a blueprint for how I do the brackets. Thanks for sharing! Good Luck!
JB

So when you tighten down on strap The platform is canted upward. Then after tightening strap you push platform down against tree and that applies sufficient pressure to strap and platform to avoid any movement when shifting around tree. am i correct in this? this is similar idea i had for platform.

Yes, because the jaws of that seat protrude behind the post pushing the post away from the tree and tightening the strap.

Im intrigued by you putting the post behing the v bracket at the top. Any particular reason why or benefit?

Im intrigued by you putting the post behing the v bracket at the top. Any particular reason why or benefit?
Not really? I thought that thats how the lone wolf stands came, and my tubing was too big. But I like it behind the post. Keeps it tidy and not sticking out. Also aligns with the teeth on the platform better I think.

So when you tighten down on strap The platform is canted upward. Then after tightening strap you push platform down against tree and that applies sufficient pressure to strap and platform to avoid any movement when shifting around tree. am i correct in this? this is similar idea i had for platform.
Exactly!

Sweet, why did you use 2 versa buttons?
First one was a mistake lol. The higher one didn't provide enough tension. I ordered 2 versa buttons because I figured I'd use it for something. 2 buttons definitely not needed. The two buttons is nice to wrap the tree strap around in transport mode, and leave one end of the strap on the lower button, the other strap end on the top button (see photo). The lower button is a really tight fit to clear the hole in the platform and would be very difficult to get the other end of the strap around it when its folded. I'll probably end up taking the one button off, throw the strap in my pack when hiking in, use gear ties to keep it folded when hiking.

Not really? I thought that thats how the lone wolf stands came, and my tubing was too big. But I like it behind the post. Keeps it tidy and not sticking out. Also aligns with the teeth on the platform better I think.

How you did it, keeping the post closer to the tree will have a better cam effect more distance to travel when lowering platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back