• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do compounds every go on sale?

MattMan81

SH Member
Does anyone recall a time bows go on sale? Black Friday? Or new years? After season clear out? Or are they pretty much steady MSRP?

I think most dealers reduce their price after the newer models are released. Obviously someone isn’t going to want to pay roughly the same price for a year old bow. But honestly they’re usually only incremental upgrades.

check right after flagship models come out after season…. Lots of people will upgrade and sell great bows for super reasonable prices

If you know the bow techs at your local shop talk to them. Some of them go through bows like crazy. I bought mine from a tech that had it a year and wanted to get the newest greatest thing out. I got it for half MSRP and it was a year old and came with a quiver, and stabilizer.

I just bought 2 bear species Ev RTH package on sale free S&H for less than I paid for my Matthew's switch back xt was back in 06Screenshot_20221023-113436_Chrome.jpg

I've seen some marked down already, bowtechs, trying to make room for the new ones I assume. I'm thinking about asking about that shops layaway... can I back out if I want the new model lol? Solution or solution ss for 950 new...

Bows are like phones. Old models depreciate rapidly. I had an elite synergy. $1k new for a bare bow when they came out. 5 years later and you could get one kitted out used for half that. I know because I sold mine once I fully embraced the mini.

A decade ago you could get bows with 85% let-off and 95% cam efficiency. That tech has peaked and I don't care what the manufacturer says.

Bows are like phones. Old models depreciate rapidly. I had an elite synergy. $1k new for a bare bow when they came out. 5 years later and you could get one kitted out used for half that. I know because I sold mine once I fully embraced the mini.

A decade ago you could get bows with 85% let-off and 95% cam efficiency. That tech has peaked and I don't care what the manufacturer says.
Agree. I'm not after the lastest and greatest. Only thing about new to me is a lifetime warranty. I am trigger shy to spend 5-6 hundred and have a failure again few years down the road. Are the odds of that happening again to me good or bad? How much of a betting man am I. I seem to always loose on those odds. Most don't. But I do.
I'm just evaluating fix it, versus cut my looses and get a lifetime warranty.

Agree. I'm not after the lastest and greatest. Only thing about new to me is a lifetime warranty. I am trigger shy to spend 5-6 hundred and have a failure again few years down the road. Are the odds of that happening again to me good or bad? How much of a betting man am I. I seem to always loose on those odds. Most don't. But I do.
I'm just evaluating fix it, versus cut my looses and get a lifetime warranty.
What failed?

Depending on the model you may be able to contact Barnsdale Archery for new limbs. I’ve had bows for decades and they still are fine but I’m not shooting them all the time either but my bows I use for season I shoot a lot. Most new limbs would be in the $250 -$350 range and I would upgrade strings and cables for another$125-150 and like @Nutterbuster said, the real tech for most compounds has not increased substantially in overall performance over the last decade. In other words, nobody is routinely putting out a standard bell curve bow say 30” draw length, 70lb peak draw weight bow shooting a 350gr arrow with little to no hand shock at 375-385 fps speeds anytime soon.

The best sale on flagship bows I have seen is at Scheels. In January or February they discount the last year’s models.

Does anyone recall a time bows go on sale? Black Friday? Or new years? After season clear out? Or are they pretty much steady MSRP?

The current year flagship bows usually do not. They are all sold by dealers and they often give like 100 bucks off sticker and that's it (they do that customarily some places). I've never seen them go on sale other than that. Maybe if one is going out of business (?).

Last year's bows new in box can be found on ebay and there are some folks that sell them online. The old bows, even flagships, can be bought online without visiting a dealer.

Bear Archery bows that are a year or 2 old can often be found new on ebay and almost half off.

I would buy a used bow (some folks get a new one every year and sell last year's), but I am always afraid of buying someone else's problem/a bow that has been dry fired.

I stopped in a Sportsman’s Warehouse last weekend near me and they had flagship PSE’s from 21 and 22 at $200 off list.
@raisins i think for the most part on this forum, buying a used bow is much less of a risk. There is a definite honor system on this forum and I would hope most of the long timers on here wouldn’t sell someone a problem.

Do you have bows in mind @MattMan81 ? There's lots of eyes on the forum. I can't seem to keep myself out of sporting goods stores... I'll be happy to be on the lookout and pass any info along. ( I've seen a couple for about 15% off. I didn't follow through but was told there were hoyts new at a great price locally- Definitely will check if you'd like)

If you're leaning towards fixing your rig that's great, I don't mean to twist your arm or anything and if you're youngins are into archery the press and limbs might very well be the better route!

Do you have bows in mind @MattMan81 ? There's lots of eyes on the forum. I can't seem to keep myself out of sporting goods stores... I'll be happy to be on the lookout and pass any info along. ( I've seen a couple for about 15% off. I didn't follow through but was told there were hoyts new at a great price locally- Definitely will check if you'd like)

If you're leaning towards fixing your rig that's great, I don't mean to twist your arm or anything and if you're youngins are into archery the press and limbs might very well be the better route!
As much as I would like to buy a new one. I just don't think it's worth it. Yeah it could shoot better than what I have. But I don't think 900$ better. Versus 250 for a set of limbs. I'd rather try more gear than buy a bow..

They are always on sale on archery talk forum in the classifieds section. I have bought and sold bows there and have got great deals when buying. I think some sellers on there are pro staff who have extra bows they are selling off or something like that.

Another option is calling your local pro shop and asking them if they have any new, unused old stock inventory of bows available for sale. Typically they can offer you a steep discount off of an older model flagship. Up to 50% depending on the make and model year. They’ll get rid of unsold inventory and will make up some of the “loss” through putting new accessories on the bow. But now is a good time to shop for unused older inventory and getting a great price.

Back