• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do I Need A Tether

Hoyt Guy

Hey fellow hunters! I’m new to this, I’ve never hunted out of a saddle before. I actually just got mine in the mail today! Anyway, I’m really excited and trying to figure out what all I’m gonna need to do this. My question is: if I’m climbing SRT and setting up below where my climbing rope is tied on the tree, do I need a tether? Can I just remain hooked on my climbing rope and use it as my tether? Sorry for my ignorance and thanks in advance for your advice! I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of guys do it that way. I did myself for a couple of years. The only advice I'll offer for doing that is, depending on what your hanging on, make sure it can't release inadvertently and send you to the ground. There's no integral stopper knot on your SRT rope. When I was doing it I was hanging off a GriGri and I tied a slip knot in my rope directly under the GriGri and looped it into the bridge carabiner. That way if the GriGri ever uncammed it would only go a couple inches to the slip knot. When I got ready to get down I would remove the loop from the biner, pull out the slip knot and I was ready to rappel.

I dont SRT, I am curious about the swinging ability if you are using the climbing rope which should be around a branch right? Wouldn't the rope be dropping straight down? Unless you are using another strap to pinch the rope against the tree? I'm not having a hard time visualizing it based on videos of people who SRT.

I dont SRT, I am curious about the swinging ability if you are using the climbing rope which should be around a branch right? Wouldn't the rope be dropping straight down? Unless you are using another strap to pinch the rope against the tree? I'm not having a hard time visualizing it based on videos of people who SRT.

I have no experience whatsoever, I don’t have climbing gear yet. Are you asking about the ability to swing around the trunk? I was thinking that I would just throw my rope over a branch and then wrap around the trunk, but there might be better ways to do it, I don’t know.

There are a lot of guys here who SRT climb so I know it can be done. However, I'll share my experiences with SRT. As with any personal experiences, individual mileage my vary. :)

My first season saddle hunting I was determined I was going to SRT as my primary climbing method. The SRT climb is really very non-strenuous. It may honestly be the easiest method to ascend a tree short of an elevator. In addition I really liked the idea that all I needed to carry was a throw ball and some string in addition to my climbing gear. I spent all summer working with the throw ball and practicing SRT on a tree in my backyard. I was sure this was going to be my go to.

Then came season and I soon discovered, at least where I hunt, there's a ton of knee high brush that wants to catch and tangle up the throw ball string as I attempt to pitch it over a branch. Add to that I found I had trouble finding trees that were throw ball friendly (too many or no branches where I needed them or too high to throw to). I found that what worked great on my nicely mowed lawn and tree in the back yard didn't translate into practical application in the woods, at least for the way I wanted to hunt. If I were intending to hunt from a preset spot where I could leave a pull up string attached it would be great. However, I rarely hunt the same tree twice during the course of a season so for me it was impractical. I ended up trying several climbing methods always attached to the tree with my rappel rope as my tether.

Eventually I found one sticking and have used that since. It's only been in the past coupe of years I have begun to climb and hunt on a short tether and only break out my long rope at the end of the hunt to rappel. It just works better for me that way.

There are a lot of guys here who SRT climb so I know it can be done. However, I'll share my experiences with SRT. As with any personal experiences, individual mileage my vary. :)

My first season saddle hunting I was determined I was going to SRT as my primary climbing method. The SRT climb is really very non-strenuous. It may honestly be the easiest method to ascend a tree short of an elevator. In addition I really liked the idea that all I needed to carry was a throw ball and some string in addition to my climbing gear. I spent all summer working with the throw ball and practicing SRT on a tree in my backyard. I was sure this was going to be my go to.

Then came season and I soon discovered, at least where I hunt, there's a ton of knee high brush that wants to catch and tangle up the throw ball string as I attempt to pitch it over a branch. Add to that I found I had trouble finding trees that were throw ball friendly (too many or no branches where I needed them or too high to throw to). I found that what worked great on my nicely mowed lawn and tree in the back yard didn't translate into practical application in the woods, at least for the way I wanted to hunt. If I were intending to hunt from a preset spot where I could leave a pull up string attached it would be great. However, I rarely hunt the same tree twice during the course of a season so for me it was impractical. I ended up trying several climbing methods always attached to the tree with my rappel rope as my tether.

Eventually I found one sticking and have used that since. It's only been in the past coupe of years I have begun to climb and hunt on a short tether and only break out my long rope at the end of the hunt to rappel. It just works better for me that way.

This ^. This is exactly why I decided to 1 stick. Agree 100% with everything posted except the mileage(noob in regards to 1sticking). SRT requires you to be able to find a strong enough branch at the right height that you want to climb to, plus being able to throw a line.

Both styles has pro/con. On a straight tree with minimal branches, I think 1stick is best, but on unique and atypical trees, SRT can be easier. Honestly, packing for both situation wouldn't be that bad if you want option, most 1stick setup is 1-2 lbs and SRT ascender combos are probably same weight.

Using a rope that always allows you to immediately descend would be a safe option. You get more mobility the higher the rope is anchored, and could use linemen’s belt to hold you in desired position.
Seems like presetting is the way to go if using SRT.

If you choose to SRT, I will advise you to practice with your throwball setup until you're blue in the face! A major piece of kit, that would be strongly suggested, is some sort of throwline cube (I just recently picked up an Edelrid Falter Spring Bag). Also, pick a throwball weight and stick with it (12-14oz would be recommended, my preference being 12oz). Practice on multiple trees, in multiple environments, and IN THE DARK! Don't forget that there are multiple types of anchors/tie-in-point styles available for you to utilize, but don't EVER forgo safety, and of course it's recommended to get training lol (which I haven't to date). The ascent/descent is always the simplest part. I utilized some presets last year, but I'm going to not use many presets this year. My primary method will still be the WEI Stepps, as it was last year, but SRT will take a strong second this year (vs. about 10% last year). That being said, I've paid my dues and will continue to do so, as I now also climb recreationally. I stay in practice well beyond the scope of hunting height, if you can hit 60-70' consistently, you better be able to hit 20-30'...

I am ditching SRT this year and going to some form of one sticking probably. I spent way too much time cursing the throwball or presetting and then never having favorable wind for that spot for the rest of the season.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Look, SRT is not bad, don't let us try to discourage you from at least trying it. But its one of the methods that front end preparation is needed more than others. Spend a few days scouting, if you're not in a rush or worry about scaring deer, setting preset paracords make it one of the easiest and fastest climbing method. Even the NY Saddle Hunter, he said sometimes he would 1stick up the tree, then setup paracords during off season/scouting. Then come back to that tree for SRT during actual hunt.

But IMHO its not the best if you are going in blind or want to be maneuverable.

Thank you all for the advice! I do spend a lot of time in the woods off-season, scouting, running trail cameras, pig hunting, and in the spring, turkey hunting. I don’t think presetting lines will be a problem, but I really appreciate y’all’s experienced opinions.

I second everything that @boyne bowhunter said about the practicality of SRT for hunting. It is hard to find a good tree sometimes to throw into, and brush makes a mess of your line. Preset cords are where SRT really shines. When you can go over and pull a rope around and your ready to go, that's the cats meow.

As for the original question, when I SRT I prefer to rehook my tether line to the trunk of the tree as opposed to hanging from a branch. It feels much more comfortable to hang from in my experience. A second tether will be a very handy thing to have if you are ever in the woods and are in a pinch.

I say always carry a second tether/lineman with an extra prusik

I 1stick 75% of the time, but if I like a tree and think it could be better later in the season, I'll leave a paracord loop for coming back to.

However when I go to practice shooting my bow at height in my yard, I almost exclusively SRT because of the ease.

With SRT you do not have to be around a branch or crotch. You can you an extension stick set the rope Girth hitch like a tether and slide it up to the height you want or you can use a throw ball and hit a crotch. When you hit a crotch it hangs out from the tree a little more even if you climb to the height of the crotch. This gives a downward angle very similar to hanging your tether high above your head. It does give you a little more swing than a tether and it creates a lot more force on the understrap of your saddle. Some people like that feeling and for them it’s fine. Myself I like a more neutral pulling angle so even though I climb on ropes, I still use a tether for the hunt.
If you carry extension sticks (or pvc pipes cut to 30” lengths and piece them together) and slide the hitch up the tree, you can climb to the hitch and it will be no different than using a tether. I do however recommend pulling up your excess rope and tying a overhand stopper knot below the rappelling device (I have a gri gri plus) in case of accidental cam release. Or back up the device with a prusik above the device. It’s better to drop a few inches than accidentally go crashing down the tree. Rappelling is the most dangerous part of rope systems but with caution and practice, climbing a rope system is one of the fastest, lightest and safest means of ascending and descending a tree.

Did you ever try the throw ball and throw line while using a foldable cube? Yes it’s one more small thing to take with you but it saves all the hassle of throw line and paracord getting caught in brush and vines.
Also for the less experienced throw ball guys, here’s a simple tip, buy a cheap daisy slingshot from Walmart. You’ll hit your branch WAY easier and if you take a few pebbles with you, you can scare off those pesky armadillos and coons. Lol

Last edited:
This ^. This is exactly why I decided to 1 stick. Agree 100% with everything posted except the mileage(noob in regards to 1sticking). SRT requires you to be able to find a strong enough branch at the right height that you want to climb to, plus being able to throw a line.

Both styles has pro/con. On a straight tree with minimal branches, I think 1stick is best, but on unique and atypical trees, SRT can be easier. Honestly, packing for both situation wouldn't be that bad if you want option, most 1stick setup is 1-2 lbs and SRT ascender combos are probably same weight.
Yes DRT and srt can require a branch. With SRT if you can’t find a branch, another option is to cut about 5 or 6 pcs of 1/2” or 3/4” PVC to 28-30” lengths with the Bell end left on, cut a notch the size of your rope in one bell end. Girth hitch the rope around the tree and use the pvc to slide the hitch up the tree til it’s high enough (6 30” pcs will get you around 20 to 22’ to top of the tether, which puts the average person around 16-18’ to their feet. They also make fiberglass extension sticks that get down to about 6’ in length and extend up to 40’ they have a polyethylene or aluminum hook at the end. They weigh a bit more than the pvc but you can use a gear tie and hang either from the tree when you get to hunting height. It’s more work than the throw ball but it’s a very quiet very quick way to set a rope for SRT without being stuck to a “good branch”

Did you ever try the throw ball and throw line while using a foldable cube? Yes it’s one more small thing to take with you but it saves all the hassle of throw line and paracord getting caught in brush and vines.
Also for the less experienced throw ball guys, here’s a simple tip, buy a cheap daisy slingshot from Walmart. You’ll hit your branch WAY easier and if you take a few pebbles with you, you can scare off those pesky armadillos and coons. Lol

Edelrid Falter Spring Bag. Way smaller and packable than what I was using before. It packs down to about 8" round x 5" deep, and lightweight and easy to open and close!

A small heavy tarp works nice in underbrush, some rope bags have light ones built in for easy storage and rope deployment.

Back