• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do you carry a first aid kit? What's in it?

Do you carry a first aid kit?

What do you have in it?

Asks someone that needs one currently? I hope not. Ha. That’s my luck.

A kit no. But in my bag is a ziplock with a couple bandaids. Neosporin. Aspirin. That’s a close of a kit that I carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Asks someone that needs one currently? I hope not. Ha. That’s my luck.

Haha, no. But I just read a story of someone who cut themselves pretty bad with a limb saw. I never thought of having first aid kit.

I don't know why?

A mile from the truck, climbing trees, using knives, carrying wicked sharp broadheads...what could go wrong?

Feel kinda foolish for not having one actually!

Thought I better put something together, however like most saddle Hunters the thought of carrying even one unnecessary Band-Aid makes my skin crawl... Haha!

I carry a basic (useless for anything serious) one in my truck and a bottle of eye wash that will probably be frozen when I need it (the salt in it will help a little). I'm going to upgrade my truck kit. I don't carry anything in the woods.

I carry a basic (useless for anything serious) one in my truck and a bottle of eye wash that will probably be frozen when I need it (the salt in it will help a little). I'm going to upgrade my truck kit. I don't carry anything in the woods.

Eeeeee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my kit I always have the usual bandages and tape, the wound seal that @drew13 mentioned, super glue(you would be surprised at how well it works), something for fire(for worst case scenario), purification tablets for water, a button compass, and needles and thread in case it is a terribly wide wound that needs to be closed up(and yes I have had to use this before) doesn't feel the best but it might save your life one day! I got all this from when I used to trap and just have always just kept it in the bag! It doesn't weight enough to matter and like I said it might save your life! Stay safe brothers!

Quickclot is a good choice.
Neosporin
Bandaids
Gauze
Medical tape
Small bottle of sterile water
Tweezers
Two Cravats

I strongly encourage you all to forego a tourniquet. As a flight paramedic I cannot tell you how many times I’ve stepped in to the back of an ambulance and found a tourniquet applied by either EMS or Law Law Enforcement unnecessarily. All that bleeds does NOT require a tourniquet. Direct pressure, gauze and tape will often get the job done. Quickclot gauze or powder will work just fine too. A bright red spurting arterial bleed “might” require a tourniquet, but outside of the combat-bullets-flying-overhead environment, IT SHOULD NOT BE THE FIRST DEVICE. If a TQ is needed, place it 2 inches above the wound, not high up in the joint. We could get in to a lengthy discussion about why that’s a bad idea, but in the interest of brevity, just take my word for it.

In place of a tourniquet, the cravat can be used. The cravat can also be used to fashion a splint, and with the second one you can make a sling. Two cravats take up the same space as a TQ and have more uses.

Semper Fi,
Mike

I have one but realized the stuff in it was really only good for superficial stuff... aspirin, bandaids... anything I would NEED a first aid kit for I'd be F'ed... pulled my broadhead back into my finger one time and realized my kit was worthless even for a not so serious cut... I dont carry it anymore, but I really do need to put together a little kit myself...

2 tourniquets.
1 Israeli bandage.
2 rolls Kerlix.
2 packs quick clot.
And an NPA for good measure.

My biggest fear is bashing my face and/or head and suffocating because I don’t have an airway and whoever MIGHT help doesn’t have a way to. Which; this is super far fetched. But most people in the woods wouldn’t know how to use the NPA anyway. But I think that same fear applies to others and I would use it for them.

I’ve even thought about a tension pneumothorax and how I’d fix that, in case of an accidental shooting. I mean, the needle and the occlusive dressing aren’t all that heavy.

Last edited:
2 tourniquets.
1 Israeli bandage.
2 rolls Kerlix.
2 packs quick clot.
And an NPA for good measure.

My biggest fear is bashing my face and/or head and suffocating because I don’t have an airway and whoever MIGHT help doesn’t have a way to. Which; this is super far fetched. But most people in the woods wouldn’t know how to use the NPA anyway. But I think that same fear applies to others and I would use it for you them.

I’ve even though about a tension pneumothorax and how I’d fix that, in case of an accidental shooting. I mean, the needle and the occlusive dressing aren’t all that heavy.

Whatcha gonna do with that NPA, and is the appropriate size for you? I’d be very hesitant to place a NPA in a patient with a facial injury who can’t maintain their airway. If there’s a basal skull fracture, the risk outweighs the benefit. Jaw thrust works.

Semper Fi,
Mike

Whatcha gonna do with that NPA, and is the appropriate size for you? I’d be very hesitant to place a NPA in a patient with a facial injury who can’t maintain their airway. If there’s a basal skull fracture, the risk outweighs the benefit. Jaw thrust works.

Semper Fi,
Mike

Hmmm. I was just trained to always slap an NPA. Even up til recently. This is why we must continue education boys and girls.

It is the proper size for me. Not that I’d be able to use it in the case that I needed it for myself.

Hmmm. I was just trained to always slap an NPA. Even up til recently. This is why we must continue education boys and girls.

It is the proper size for me. Not that I’d be able to use it in the case that I needed it for myself.

They come in an array of sizes. Too short and it won’t displace the tongue. Too long and it can curl and occlude, or go in to the esophagus. If you’re gonna carry one, just carry a kit so you can measure if you need to use one. They typically range from 20-34fr. It should measure nose to earlobe. NPA is contraindicated with facial fractures and nose bleeds. Insertion in the right nare is preferred, as it’s the larger of the two. Bevel edge to the inside and rotate as it’s going in.

Semper Fi,
Mike

They come in an array of sizes. Too short and it won’t displace the tongue. Too long and it can curl and occlude, or go in to the esophagus. If you’re gonna carry one, just carry a kit so you can measure if you need to use one. They typically range from 20-34fr. It should measure nose to earlobe. NPA is contraindicated with facial fractures and nose bleeds. Insertion in the right nare is preferred, as it’s the larger of the two. Bevel edge to the inside and rotate as it’s going in.

Semper Fi,
Mike

I’m up on using it. I do appreciate you giving good instructions for the good of the group. You know, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for someone to pin some stuff like this for reference.

Quickclot is a good choice.
Neosporin
Bandaids
Gauze
Medical tape
Small bottle of sterile water
Tweezers
Two Cravats

I strongly encourage you all to forego a tourniquet. As a flight paramedic I cannot tell you how many times I’ve stepped in to the back of an ambulance and found a tourniquet applied by either EMS or Law Law Enforcement unnecessarily. All that bleeds does NOT require a tourniquet. Direct pressure, gauze and tape will often get the job done. Quickclot gauze or powder will work just fine too. A bright red spurting arterial bleed “might” require a tourniquet, but outside of the combat-bullets-flying-overhead environment, IT SHOULD NOT BE THE FIRST DEVICE. If a TQ is needed, place it 2 inches above the wound, not high up in the joint. We could get in to a lengthy discussion about why that’s a bad idea, but in the interest of brevity, just take my word for it.

In place of a tourniquet, the cravat can be used. The cravat can also be used to fashion a splint, and with the second one you can make a sling. Two cravats take up the same space as a TQ and have more uses.

Semper Fi,
Mike
I toss in a few Benadryl too just in case. And for the guys at a higher risk of heart attack possibly some full strength Aspirin.

Bandaids
Gorilla tape
Coughdrops
Allergy, pain, musinex pills
Asthma inhaler
Burts bees
Super glue

Only thing I’ve ever used is the chapstick... I should get some of that clotting stuff.

Triangle bandage, Abdominal dressing, trauma dressing, Quick clot, 6 4X4 dressings, Kerlix 2" and 4" rolls, 1" tape roll, assorted bandaids, sutures. I also keep a much better stocked kit fastened to the wall of my permanent ground blind which is in a central location of my hunting area. My mobile kit takes up a 4 inch X 4" X 6 inch space in my pack and weighs a few ounces. I've always carried a kit and only used it once in Colorado in the 70's when I lacerated my left hand palm with a broadhead and was very happy I had it along. You never know what will happen.

Back