• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do you name the bucks you have on camera?

NW_Arkansas22

I have named a few public land bucks I have on camera this year. Do any of you guys do the same?

1. "Skin Tag" - Brow tines are so short they look like skin tags.
Skin Tag (2).png

2. "Arthritis" - Brow tines look like my grandma's fingers.
Arthritis (2).png

3. "Pink Eye" - Loves to make eye contact with the camera when he poops.
Pink Eye (2).png

4. "Biggie Smalls" - Big mature deer but won't score good.
Biggie Smalls (2).png

I name every buck I see Chuck Mangione and therefore I name my custom blends I put in my food plots Managione Mix. I have two, Managione Mix Punisher and Managione Mix Bruiser with the latter being the far preferred blend as far as my deer are concerned.

Not unless there's something unique about them that makes them easy to identify. I'm not a tv hunter.

Only for a very small percentage that I am actively after. Just helps me distinguish between them...

Moose, Crooked Tine, Wide Guy, Mr Big are the only 4 (of 100s) over the last three seasons and different properties. One of the four is on my wall but the other three have eluded me.

I'd guess it's less than 5% of mine that rise to 'name category'. Perhaps it's something I do to not only distinguish, but create a more personal connection to the ones I'm trying to outsmart.

Might as well go on the tv circuit if you name them specifically. Other than a descriptor like the big 8, tight 8, 3 legs, don't name my deer, other than Dead!

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Last edited:
My wife names them for me. She has a hit list, The Prince, Croaker, and The Twin are on the top of her list:cool:
Edit: I almost forgot the Obnoxious Unicorn

3f0729fca6b1d950df7936b189185ecb.jpg

This is George

187f98c49355cf38df65367e8abc66a7.jpg

This is Andrew

b8d0b0ad76d7b4d3c6bf7ffcd889b096.jpg

This is Steven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it odd and annoying to be honest but more power to those who do. Ranchers don’t name slaughter calves. But I guess I do name them in a sense.
Pass
Next year
Two years
Maybe
Where’s my bow/gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.. more power to ya if you do tho! It just makes me think of all the TV “hunting” shows. I also try to approach it with the viewpoint that the deer aren’t mine but they are everyone’s. If I get a crack at a good buck then great, and if the neighbor kills him then great as well!

I’ve never been that creative. Also never had enough good deer on camera that I had to name them to keep it from getting confusing. I haven’t really had many on camera several years in a row. Usually I get them on camera about a week or two before they get shot somewhere else.

I'm cool with it if you feel so inclined, minus one... Swamp Donkey. I've hunted many swamps and seen many donkeys in my days, but never seen a friggin donkey in a swamp. Primos and the TV boys that came up with that should be flogged with a Tethrd linesman rope!

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

I don't set out to name them. But I find I do almost subconsciously at times. I would find myself saying "there's a forky," then.."there's that forky", then "there's forky", or similar. Most creative I got was lucky 7 for a 7 pointer who made it through the winter. So I guess I named him but never ended up hunting him..

Sometimes I find when speaking with others who hunt the area it's a shortcut for description. As opposed to "you know the brown one with the antlers." I apparently shot "5 Star" last year wasn't my name for it, it was their's and he was the one they were after all season. I understand they have since lost permission. Best part...He was a 6 pointer, had a spike on one side. I think I called him: " Come on man just one more step I'm losing light you bastard, just one more step, don'tlook at the antlers pick a spot aim small, just step already!." Or something like that.

Also for the OP. I think #3 should be brown eye... seems more accurate.

Back