• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does Fluorescent green and yellow spook deer?

gameflogger

SH Member
Has anyone ever noticed bright fluorescent green or yellow colors spooking deer? I see that some people have bright knee pads, but they are somewhat hidden. I have been working on a bright green and yellow saddle for the cool b$&%+rd appeal. I have heard that those bright colors show up as grey to deer but I’m wondering if anyone has any personal experience with bright colors spooking deer?

Has anyone ever noticed bright fluorescent green or yellow colors spooking deer? I see that some people have bright knee pads, but they are somewhat hidden. I have been working on a bright green and yellow saddle for the cool b$&%+rd appeal. I have heard that those bright colors show up as grey to deer but I’m wondering if anyone has any personal experience with bright colors spooking deer?
I've never noticed deer spoking from my Orange safety vent

That is neat looking!!! Nice job and very safety oriented. If my memory serves me correctly, deer do see color but I believe mostly in the blue spectrum so oranges and reds are seen as a dull tan and brown. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that saddle will mostly show up as a dull beige or light tan to most deer. I agree with a previous poster too, we've hunted with blaze orange here during gun seasons for years and they don't know the difference. I can say I'd rather wear blaze camo then just straight blaze orange though, especially when the woods are "dark" (wet tree trunks etc. and everything just looks darker, I do believe they could pick up the contrast readily with just a lot of plain blaze against a dark background. But that is true even with camo. I like either stark or subtle contrast camo the best, patterns like ASAT, Predator, ATACS, Nat Gear, etc. I believe some of the darker popular camo patterns just look like a dark blob in the woods so it is the contrast that breaks up the outline. I think this saddle color is a perfect blend for safety and the deer will not see it. Coyotes might though, they see more "yellows" than deer do.

If it helps my neon yellow blazer vanes and neon yellow blazer wraps have not caused me any problems. Them things glow! My linesman rope is also a neon orange. Before going to a saddle, I would keep it around the tree where fall turkeys were in and a rifle could be used. It glowed and there were no problems with the deer. I am sure green would be similar. I think ground disturbance scent will give you away more than the color. Jmho.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Just tried it out in my back yard, the new “symmetrical” shape puts more pressure on the back of my thighs while leaning, more comfortable sitting though than the older shape. I might have to try different tether heights.

Some where in you tube was a biologist who studied deers eye sight. It was pretty interesting. They don't see red spectrum really well. But the blue side of things jump out more to them. I think the large object in the tree would stick out more to them than some bright yellow.

That is neat looking!!! Nice job and very safety oriented. If my memory serves me correctly, deer do see color but I believe mostly in the blue spectrum so oranges and reds are seen as a dull tan and brown. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that saddle will mostly show up as a dull beige or light tan to most deer. I agree with a previous poster too, we've hunted with blaze orange here during gun seasons for years and they don't know the difference. I can say I'd rather wear blaze camo then just straight blaze orange though, especially when the woods are "dark" (wet tree trunks etc. and everything just looks darker, I do believe they could pick up the contrast readily with just a lot of plain blaze against a dark background. But that is true even with camo. I like either stark or subtle contrast camo the best, patterns like ASAT, Predator, ATACS, Nat Gear, etc. I believe some of the darker popular camo patterns just look like a dark blob in the woods so it is the contrast that breaks up the outline. I think this saddle color is a perfect blend for safety and the deer will not see it. Coyotes might though, they see more "yellows" than deer do.
I get the mesh style vests....like blaze orange fishnet with big openings..... Covers your whole upper torso in blaze orange that you can see throu to your regular clothes... Not sure if it meets the minimum required amount of blade for hunting public here in my state but with the vest I have been seen by wildlife officers and they never said anything to my about it. I also got a reversible baseball hat... Camo on 1 side and reverse to blaze.. I'll blaze up walking in but reverse it up in the tree

I read several sources in the past stating that deer had yellow and blue color receptors. Now, I'm reading they have green and blue. Humans have red, green, and blue.

Just last week, I think I told someone wrong here. So, my original sources were wrong according to knowledge at that time, or something new was found.

Back