• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does most of your satisfaction from deer hunting come from climbing the tree - a poll

Do you get most of your hunt satisfaction from the climbing portion of a hunt?

• Yes

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • No

Votes: 106 90.6%

• Total voters

kyler1945

SH Member
Simple question, don’t overthink it. Yes there will be more polls to add more context. Yes I have an agenda. Play along. It’s fun.

Ok - do you get more than half (+50.1%) of your satisfaction, enjoyment, rocks off, happiness, contentment, accomplishment, whatever you call it, from climbing a tree to deer hunt?

I’m not asking if you think it’s a good idea, or how you do it, or why you do it. It’s a simple question.

Do you get the majority of satisfaction from a hunt, from the climbing portion (saddles ropes sticks all that jazz)? Yes or no.

Climbing is lots of fun in the off season. Climbing during hunting season feels like a chore. I just want to get up in a tree as painlessly, safe, and quick as possible.

I feel like you make these hidden agenda polls and then never come back and tell us what your purpose was.

I think you should throw in: does sitting in a saddle, or using a saddle and saddle gear, bring you more satisfaction during a hunt.

I've slowly realized that the only reason I started climbing trees was ro avoid getting busted drawing a bow and because it was what I saw growing up. Well, I don't own a compound bow anymore and I've embraced the #blacksheep life with regards to most of the deep south cultural norms.

What's one more taboo? Trees are for the birds!

The few times I went on the ground hunting in some thick stuff it was some heart pounded stuff. Hearing those leaves crunching from behind and not knowing what is coming is exciting. Then being 5-10 yds eye to eye level with deer is awesome. I had several walk right by and not even know I was there. I’ve only done it a few times but it was fun.

I can’t get any points from the ground though lol

The only satisfaction I get out of climbing the tree to hunt is when I am back on the ground without incident and without alerting deer during the climb up or down. The climb up is a nerve racking time trying to do it safely and quietly, all the while being vulnerable to being spotted by a deer.

I like the advantage that being elevated gives me in both a visual aspect as well as scent reduction. I also feel safer being up off the ground once any sort of firearms season starts. I feel like I have a lot more chance of getting shot by being mistaken for a deer on the ground than a squirrel in a tree.

Well get to the connections later.

If you’re already thinking 3 questions ahead, cool!

But really, it’s a specific question. Shouldn’t require much thinking. Some people really like gear and climbing. I suspect there are some people who get more joy from the climb than the hunt. Maybe….surely…

Nope, its just part of the process. Rather not have to get in a tree but some places you'll never see the deer let alone get a shot from the ground

The only satisfaction I get out of climbing the tree to hunt is when I am back on the ground without incident and without alerting deer during the climb up or down. The climb up is a nerve racking time trying to do it safely and quietly, all the while being vulnerable to being spotted by a deer.

I like the advantage that being elevated gives me in both a visual aspect as well as scent reduction. I also feel safer being up off the ground once any sort of firearms season starts. I feel like I have a lot more chance of getting shot by being mistaken for a deer on the ground than a squirrel in a tree.
Yeah, the whole getting shot thing is a concern for me, especially every time I read a news story where someone didn't positively ID what they were shooting at. The fact that there's people out in the woods with weapons that are shooting at anything that moves keeps me up a tree as much as possible during gun season.

That being said, I've shot both of my deer on the ground...with a gun.

Honestly, the reason I fell in love with saddle hunting is because I enjoy it so much more than hunting from a stand. The really like the climbing portion but I also like how much more engaged I feel during a hunt. I hate sitting in a tree stand waiting. In my saddle I can fidget, lean, sit, stand, do whatever.

Additionally, I find saddle hunting to be much more comfortable.

Nope. I want the easy button when it comes to get in the tree. I play the odds. Sometimes odds are better from a tree, sometimes they're better from the ground. It depends on what the situation calls for.

I only go as high as I think is necessary to get me outta line of sight....rarely go over 10ft but the terrain around here allows me to stay low ....lots of energy to climb especially after walking miles....if I'm not super confident in the spot I choose to hunt I normally tether in on the ground or just 1 move high Screenshot_20220929-120059~2.png

Nope, I get most of my gratification from just seeing deer and other wildlife. Shooting ones pretty fun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my climbing method, its easy and flawless. But the walking in/climbing, up to the point im set up in the tree is the worst part of the hunting experience for me, and its not even that bad but for some reason it sucks for me lol once i get to the tree theres some relief but the rest relieved once im set up.

I’d prefer a ground blind or sitting on the ground most of the time. Mobile and safe. Just not easy to get away with movement drawing your bow on the ground. Got a crossbow last season for that reason. But I will climb when and/or where necessary.

Back