• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does thermacell actually do anything?

MNpublic

I'm sure its been asked a thousand times before, but I just almost died of blood loss pulling cards from my trail cams. Who's used thermacell, and how much of difference does it really make?

Thermacells definitely work !

Been using a long time

Sometimes I rock 2 at same time of deep in a swamp

I know guys here in FL that will not even attempt to hunt if thermacell isn’t working

Deer don’t seem bothered by it & it allows me to not use bug spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You wouldn’t think it but it really does work. Combining them with some bug spray or even 2 thermacells at the same time is even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found if I'm walking and stopping to check stuff for a short period then walking to the next, I don't see any reduction in the number of blood suckers. But it definitely works if I'm in the tree or in one spot for a while. We use ours on the patio sometimes.

Definitely agree! It doesn’t work near as well walking as when you are stationary though. I would recommend permethrin spray also. I really doesn’t have an odor if you allow it to dry properly

Ben's 100..... a little goes a long way. .9989% DEET or something like that. But it stinks so for now, it works, come hunting season, use the Thermacell.

I don’t leave home in the early season without mine and all the extra butane and scent wafers I might need. Thing is a life saver. I haven’t noticed any change in deer behavior when using mine.

Seems to resounding yes! Appreciate the replies fellas!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Ben's 100..... a little goes a long way. .9989% DEET or something like that. But it stinks so for now, it works, come hunting season, use the Thermacell.

I can’t buy 100% deet in Canada. I bought some a few years ago in Michigan and it is now gone. Mail me some

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don't use one anymore, because if you're moving or the wind is blowing it doesn't do jack. Also doesn't phase other bugs, unlike deet which will discourage flies and ticks as well as skeeters.

Does deet smell? Yep. Does a thermacell smell? Yep. That leaves 99% deet being more reliable, cheaper, and 1 piece instead of 3.

I don't use one anymore, because if you're moving or the wind is blowing it doesn't do jack. Also doesn't phase other bugs, unlike deet which will discourage flies and ticks as well as skeeters.

Does deet smell? Yep. Does a thermacell smell? Yep. That leaves 99% deet being more reliable, cheaper, and 1 piece instead of 3.
Have you noticed any difference in deer reaction to thermacell vs deet?

I
Have you noticed any difference in deer reaction to thermacell vs deet?

Ive been busted using both, and I've killed deer using both. If it's hot enough to need a thermacell, I generally believe scent control efforts are fruitless. You either pray for a consistent wind or accept that you're killing the deer who smell you and don't have sense enough to care.

Back