• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dog leash Pull Up

tracker12

Looking to try a dog leash for my pull up rope. I have always used para cord but thought I would give this a try. Whats a light weight brand option you like. I only need 20'.

Looking to try a dog leash for my pull up rope. I have always used para cord but thought I would give this a try. Whats a light weight brand option you like. I only need 20'.
I've tried lots of different methods but for me the figure 8, 550 cord is still the best, hands down. lt's compact, never tangles, and can be used for many other uses if the need arises. You can just tie a loop in each end and have no metal at all

That’s where i got the ropes for my entire set-up, is it not safe?

Far as I know, HF doesn't make or sell any climbing rated ropes. I could be wrong on that, though.

People have been making jokes about climbing gear safety matters here recently, which is inappropriate IMO. Especially when there is no follow-up or context, and others can read such posts years down the road and have no idea the author was joking. So not sure if you are joking or not. But if you are serious, my answer would be no. HF ropes are not safe for climbing.

Dangle a $1,000-2,000 bow setup 20+ feet off the ground from something made by Horror Fright??

No thanks :grimacing:
Truth be told my main rig isn't HF it is a Doyle's for up the tree and end of rappel rope for down. Still though, how much does your bow weigh? Even a retractable hoist or leash gets hand-lined. If it is starting to fray, don't use it, otherwise it'll hold a 5-10# bow np. Just like a HF jack will lift your car up 99/100 times.

HSS makes a cheap 1 for $14. ribbon and 30ft

Love my Doyles I actually have one for each pack permanently mounted. Alot of the cons were bugging me on my last trip.
Heavy- around 1lbs
Loud- the noise it makes when it rushes the strap in. Maybe the rope one is quieter
Seems to get tangled alot going up the tree
I have also had the end get caught on brush and I don't realize until 30' away.
One and done, no way to say lower your bow and unhook then lower your pack

Last edited:
I am using a dog leash and it works fine! after i'm set I attach my horns to my leash and lower them back down for ground level rattling...

The mechanics of the leash doesn't raise or lower your bow... your hands do and as long as your line is in good shape why worry? Seems to me the only reason to have the retractable function is to keep you system tangle free.

Tangle free is what I strive to achieve. I'm thinking strap tangles less than rope.

Antlers off the rope so you can call at ground level is a trick I have been using for a long time.

HSS makes a cheap 1 for $14. ribbon and 30ft
Correct HSS does. But know it is not spring loaded. If that's what you want. So if you lower your bow on it. You climb down. You now have 25' of line around you to reel in. Open ground would work fine. Lots of brush and twigs nightmare. A self reeling device eliminates the problem. As it keeps tension and is reeling in the cord as you descend. Could be Doyle's or a dog leash. But something self reeling. Either is ok just understand what your getting.

Back