• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Double step amsteel aider

PEEJAY

SH Member
I dont have any skill sewing webbing and had some amsteel left over. So i came up with a fixed 2 step aider for a one-sticking setup. The top step is a little short but not bad for my first try.

1.First thing i did was i ran a piece of heat shrink over each piece of amsteel and position in the center

2. i spliced the bottom step of amsteel on each side of the heatshrink on the top stepwith a brummel lock. This is the only way to get brummel locks on all the splices.

3. Then i slid two small pieces of heat shrink down each side of amsteel on the top aider step. Slide them down to both splices. Then i ran both sides of the top piece of amsteel through the slots on the api's doublestep.

4. Then i slid another small piece of heatshrink on the i did a continuous splice behind the stick by burying both ends into each other just like the phantoms utilibridge prussik loop. i moved the heat shrink over the section on the back but didnt heat it in case i want to remove it.

My only problem is where the amsteel goes through the slits in the aluminum step. I didnt plan out the lack of space for a bury AND the heatshrink for chaffing. I feel like its gonna wear out quick there. I could file those slots rounder but for now it will work. I would go through the bigger ones but the slots on the outside keep the steps open even when a foot is in the bottom.

Also be very careful with a torch around amsteel. Should have used a heat gun.

Amsteel has a low melting point from what I have read so I don't know about heating it with a torch. Several members here have commented about the sharp step edge on tubular webbing. I don't know what they might think about this.

Yea definitely not good to heatshrink. Def not with a torch.

Maybe someone can make it better. I got some ideas to make it work next round.

Back