• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Downsizing/Simplifying Guidance

htr2133

I am new to saddle hunting but have been mobile-hunting w/ a stand for several years. I use WE Stepps with a "knaider" and "swaider". I have a diy lineman's belt w Ropeman1 and a Tethrd Tether at this time.

I would like to start assembling and then practicing to transition to rappelling down and one-sticking for ascending. I am looking for guidance on downsizing my ropes and removing mechanical ascenders from my system. I am a little overwhelmed as I don't have a background in climbing, knots, or rappelling.

What are some recommended, ideally metal-free, hitches for rappelling down? Munter or Super Munter for example?
What are some recommended rapel rope/tether attachment method that is retrievable? Saddle Hunter's Hitch w/Remote Release?
What are some recommended, one-hand adjustable ascender (self-tending) knots to replace my Ropeman1? Compact JRB Ascender Hitch?

I am working my way through JRB's YT Playlists and learning a ton. But, there may be some simple go-to knots, hitches and techniques I am missing. Or am I on the right track?

My main goal is to end up with a safe, minimalist system that relies on ropes, knots, and hitches vs. the mechanical or metal accessories. I will be practicing at home this fall through spring to hunt next fall. I'm sticking with what I know for now for this season.

Thanks!

There are very few who come from a climbing background....majority of us just like u. U gonna get all kinds of different answers ...allot of it is personal preference/budget ...

I rappel down using a super munter with a friction hitch above it as a back up. I reattach my Linesman's belt after I'm done with the "get down" routine and cinch up to the tree and disconnect the bridge biner, tie the knot and hook back up....I'm sure there is a way to not have to unhook like that but I'm fine with the "risk". EWO has a biner that is larger and I would recommend that ....that super munter+ the friction hitch all riding on the same point of the biner makes for a wide area and a small biner will have the ropes all bunched up on each other.

As far as getting the rope down...I got 20-30ft of small diameter rope with a big loop tied on 1 end....the big loop goes into the quick link and the rest of the rope goes thru the loop girth hitching the rope to the link...throw the rope to the ground, rappel, and use that rope to yank the rappel rope outta the tree.

I don't 1 stick so can't comment there

Oplux for your rope. You can use your rappel rope as your tether. 40’ will pack up very nicely into a pouch and it works well with a figure eight. You can back up a figure eight while at hunting height with any number of knots and just remove to rappel down. @phatkaw has a good video on YouTube demonstrating the figure 8.
As for ascending while one sticking since you’re trying to get away from a mechanical ascender use a prusik tender to help slide your knot up the rope, just remember to load the knot before you.
there are other non mechanical ascend/descend devices on the market such as the guide ATC, mammut smart 2.0, etc and work in a somewhat similar fashion but don’t have moving parts. Check out the rappel thread

After trying many friction hitches, rope diameters and hitch lines. I settled on Canyon C IV as my tether/rappel line with TRC 6mm tied in a 5 wrap michoacan. I am not a big guy, 155#. This setup hold me with no slippage and I can release it easily with my full weight on it. You may need different rope combinations to work for you.

I rappel with an ATC using the michoacan as a backup. JRB exploding hitch holds solid and makes getting your rope out of the tree easy.

My setup is similar to [mention]Shot thru [/mention]

41’ of Rescue tech. I tie a Running JRB hitch (pure awesomeness) at the tree. I can get my platform at a max of 26’ feet on an average (15”diameter) tree. Tight eye spliced on standing end with a small carabiner for my bow/gun pull up.

40” of Sterling 6mm accessory cord tied in a WLR Hitch for my tether:rappel friction hitch. I love this hitch and I have tried a million of them. It releases with 2 fingers under weight, never comes undressed, is easy to tie, easy to inspect and doesn’t take up a ton of room on the rope.

27’ of Dynaglide pull-down cord spliced in a 2” loop on one end and spice on a mini Titanium Loop Alien on the other. The loop Alien goes over my stopper knot and the whole deal never leaves the climbing rope. The Loop Alien avoids having the small diameter Dynaglide cut in to the RescueTech when I pull down to explode the Running JRB hitch. I use a 12” gear tie to keep it out of the way while climbing and hunting.

Arboreal Gear tether handles to avoid having my fingers between the rope and tree.

The last 3 years I had rappelled on a Munter hitch backed up above by a friction hitch such as Schwabisch, Double Michoacán etc.
I love the Munter, but it does rely on some rope-on-rope friction, so this year I’m using a BD Alpine Guide ATC below my WLR Hitch. I like this a lot and the rappel is super smooth, but I might still just do a Munter sometimes because I love it. I can go ahead and setup the ATC once I’m at hunting height and soft-lock it so it doesn’t move or make noise.

36e4679794c9b6338d1f4bde41561fb1.jpg

31e13c981b4f21eef4874a428f0656df.jpg

6d52e58efafe31a8fa2b9783d12c359e.jpg

After trying many friction hitches, rope diameters and hitch lines. I settled on Canyon C IV as my tether/rappel line with TRC 6mm tied in a 5 wrap michoacan. I am not a big guy, 155#. This setup hold me with no slippage and I can release it easily with my full weight on it. You may need different rope combinations to work for you.

I rappel with an ATC using the michoacan as a backup. JRB exploding hitch holds solid and makes getting your rope out of the tree easy.
Wanted to second that I’ve had good performance with the michoacán (I experimented w # of wraps) both as my tethered knot, and then sliding it down as backup to a figure 8 on rappel. Tends well from the top and the bottom, I’m using TRC on an 8mm rope.

Next year though I’m really considering trying a set of Tethrd sticks… the rappelling part of one sticking is easy, but I’ve encountered enough hassles during the other steps that In thinking the ultra light sticks might just be simpler.

My setup is similar to [mention]Shot thru [/mention]

41’ of Rescue tech. I tie a Running JRB hitch (pure awesomeness) at the tree. I can get my platform at a max of 26’ feet on an average (15”diameter) tree. Tight eye spliced on standing end with a small carabiner for my bow/gun pull up.

40” of Sterling 6mm accessory cord tied in a WLR Hitch for my tether:rappel friction hitch. I love this hitch and I have tried a million of them. It releases with 2 fingers under weight, never comes undressed, is easy to tie, easy to inspect and doesn’t take up a ton of room on the rope.

27’ of Dynaglide pull-down cord spliced in a 2” loop on one end and spice on a mini Titanium Loop Alien on the other. The loop Alien goes over my stopper knot and the whole deal never leaves the climbing rope. The Loop Alien avoids having the small diameter Dynaglide cut in to the RescueTech when I pull down to explode the Running JRB hitch. I use a 12” gear tie to keep it out of the way while climbing and hunting.

Arboreal Gear tether handles to avoid having my fingers between the rope and tree.

The last 3 years I had rappelled on a Munter hitch backed up above by a friction hitch such as Schwabisch, Double Michoacán etc.
I love the Munter, but it does rely on some rope-on-rope friction, so this year I’m using a BD Alpine Guide ATC below my WLR Hitch. I like this a lot and the rappel is super smooth, but I might still just do a Munter sometimes because I love it. I can go ahead and setup the ATC once I’m at hunting height and soft-lock it so it doesn’t move or make noise.

36e4679794c9b6338d1f4bde41561fb1.jpg

31e13c981b4f21eef4874a428f0656df.jpg

6d52e58efafe31a8fa2b9783d12c359e.jpg
thanks for the great pics too! helps me a great deal in the learning curve.

If you try with a rope hitch, make sure it's heat resistant.

Yes, I’m not sure if I was clear. I don’t rappel on a WLR hitch. I only use it as a back up if I need to stop mid-rappel. The WLR is loose and the ATC is taking the friction.

Next year though I’m really considering trying a set of Tethrd sticks… the rappelling part of one sticking is easy, but I’ve encountered enough hassles during the other steps that In thinking the ultra light sticks might just be simpler.

Did this a few weeks ago and couldn’t be happier that I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted to second that I’ve had good performance with the michoacán (I experimented w # of wraps) both as my tethered knot, and then sliding it down as backup to a figure 8 on rappel. Tends well from the top and the bottom, I’m using TRC on an 8mm rope.

Thinking the same thing for next year. I really love my platform vs the smaller one stick platform.

Back