• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dual purpose saddle / chair?

AlbertaExplorer

Yup, I'm someone who lurks around this forum and just had to post something

There are some chairs a group I hike with will take into the backcountry, and I'm wondering what your opinions are on how well it could work as a saddle. I have not yet tried a tree saddle and I'm looking to get into it as cheap as possible. The exchange on the Canadian dollar plus the duty I'd pay make me want to avoid the kestrel, but all things being equal I'd probably go that route as my first choice. I'd definitely wear a rch no matter what non-commercial saddle set up I use. I don't necessarily chase the lightweight game as some of you do but I also don't have any experience regarding what would be functional. If there's anything I have to diy, I'd want to spend minutes not hours to mess with it. Family + business = what's free time for hobbies?
So, forgive my ignorance and please explain what you think would be the challenges and shortcomings of using the chair I'll post below. I'll figure from there whether I can accept those and try it or go more conventional :)
I have ideas of how I'd stitch loops at each corner and create a bridge, but please spell it out how you envision it working (if at all. ...or why not). Ultimately I'm trying to be lazy and cheap and use an existing chair I'd already be packing into the hunting backcountry. Worst case scenario I rig something with a friend who works everyday in an industrial saddle.
See the chair here:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5031-086/Chair-One

Thank you

(close to joining the dark side of the sh community haha)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention I'd put comfort high on my priority list. Had a climbing stand and I get bored easily and I'm just as content napping as I am watching game. I'd rather spend half a day enjoying everything than putting time in moving tree to tree. I don't mess around with phones game etc. I get out in nature to recharge and I'd that includes napping while I hunt, then so be it.

Forgot to mention I'd put comfort high on my priority list. Had a climbing stand and I get bored easily and I'm just as content napping as I am watching game. I'd rather spend half a day enjoying everything than putting time in moving tree to tree. I don't mess around with phones game etc. I get out in nature to recharge and I'd that includes napping while I hunt, then so be it.

Sounds like you would want a guidos web. Nothing more comfortable and you can sleep if you wish
I am not sure you could modify what you have to suit

Some have modified a hammock seat to sit in a tree. Sam Potter did this. Or search preachers seat on this site. I think that is what it is called.

Welcome fellow Canuck. I have a son in Alberta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, I'm someone who lurks around this forum and just had to post something

There are some chairs a group I hike with will take into the backcountry, and I'm wondering what your opinions are on how well it could work as a saddle. I have not yet tried a tree saddle and I'm looking to get into it as cheap as possible. The exchange on the Canadian dollar plus the duty I'd pay make me want to avoid the kestrel, but all things being equal I'd probably go that route as my first choice. I'd definitely wear a rch no matter what non-commercial saddle set up I use. I don't necessarily chase the lightweight game as some of you do but I also don't have any experience regarding what would be functional. If there's anything I have to diy, I'd want to spend minutes not hours to mess with it. Family + business = what's free time for hobbies?
So, forgive my ignorance and please explain what you think would be the challenges and shortcomings of using the chair I'll post below. I'll figure from there whether I can accept those and try it or go more conventional :)
I have ideas of how I'd stitch loops at each corner and create a bridge, but please spell it out how you envision it working (if at all. ...or why not). Ultimately I'm trying to be lazy and cheap and use an existing chair I'd already be packing into the hunting backcountry. Worst case scenario I rig something with a friend who works everyday in an industrial saddle.
See the chair here:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5031-086/Chair-One

Thank you

(close to joining the dark side of the sh community haha)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
I don't think that would work well. Do a search for the onehair treeseat, that will suit your needs much better. If you can't find it let me know.

Thank you, all.
I've been considering the hammock seat idea too as I use a Hennessy hammock for my camping. I'll check that thread out for how to build one.
Hey Ontario farmer, I don't think there are many of us on here

Thank you, all.
I've been considering the hammock seat idea too as I use a Hennessy hammock for my camping. I'll check that thread out for how to build one.
Hey Ontario farmer, I don't think there are many of us on here

About a half a dozen I know of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back