• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Easiest aider method?

Live2huntt

I bought a set of muddy pros this year to go with my 1st saddle. 15' seems to be be the highest I will be able to get with them. I generally like to be 20' or so with a lock on depending on cover. What is the easiest aider setup to get some extra height out of my setup? I am leaning towards a single movable aider, but wanted to hear yalls opinions.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Call me silly, but I haven't 'bought' into the types of aiders that lots of folks are using now. I don't want something strapped to my knee or foot, I'd much rather just climb my sticks like a ladder. If you are using Stepps or something similar these high-speed aiders may be a better option, but I am still climbing with a set of sticks.
I prefer a single length of 1" tubular nylon that I've tied into a 3 step aider. Easy, safe, cheap, effective.
With my lone wolf sticks, I have an aider on my bottom stick and one on my middle stick (both are 3 step aiders) and I can hunt a little over 20 feet with these. [By hunting I mean my feet are above 20 feet].

There are some really cool and inventive aiders that folks have recently been using, but for me I just want to get up the tree quietly and safely so I use what I mentioned above. I'm all about light weight and carrying less stuff, but I know that when the time comes for me to try and stick something with an arrow, I want something reliable and QUIET - that includes me! I don't need to be grunting and scraping tree bark as I climb a tree.

Welcome aboard by the way. You are in for one he!! of a ride, saddle hunting rocks.

Are you using another stick to get your 1st stick that high? I feel the same as you at this point. I am looking for easy. I am used to using sticks while hunting from lock ons but I'm still not sure how comfortable I would be using aiders on my top sticks....

Are you using another stick to get your 1st stick that high? I feel the same as you at this point. I am looking for easy. I am used to using sticks while hunting from lock ons but I'm still not sure how comfortable I would be using aiders on my top sticks....

If you were asking me this question, my answer is no I don't use a cheater step. Just too much work and risk of making noise for an additional 2-3 feet. A better option would be to just carry another stick.
I keep my aiders bound up and tied to my stick with a small length of 550 cord and just reach up as high as I can to install my sticks (I am 6' tall). When the stick is secured, I just untie the string and let the aider fall into place. I do this same procedure when standing on my first stick to set up my second stick. It would be much easier with a dual-step stick, but I am either too lazy to make one, or too cheap to buy one...I haven't decided which excuse to use so I just use the sticks that I have. FWIW, sticks number 2 and 3 are attached to my saddle as I climb so I only have to climb the tree once. Forgetting a stick on the ground sucks; been there, done that.

I girth hitch my aiders to the sticks and one thing I do occasionally is to remove the aider and wash them in a bucket with some baking soda every once in a while. It makes me feel like I am being a better hunter. I don't worry too much about the aiders swaying in the breeze, I personally haven't witnessed a deer spook because of the slight motion they may cause, but then again I have been known to doze off for a while when I am settled in so who really knows. These dadgum saddles are just too comfortable.

G2 - great video. I've been 'away' from the site for a while and am playing catch up. That method is really slick.

I am thinking of trying just a knaider. It will get me about 1 1/2' more per step. That would put me well over 20'. I plan to run to Walmart/Lowes in a bit to see if I can find a hook. I have enough webbing and my wife can sew....

I ran an aider attached to the bottom of my sticks for a cpl years and it worked but this year I will run a single aider that you just girth hitch around your foot and put over the top of the stick. To me it’s way easier then trying to get your foot in the aider on the way down in the dark

I've settled on my movable two step aider

1. It packs the best. Aiders attached to the stick were a pain.

2. With the higher sticks and funky trees, I can use it or not, it's versatile

3. It is stable

4. If I drop it I can get down with the "Cain method"

I’m with Scott F on the knaider and swaider method. Some will find it useful but for me I have trouble with setting that step that high and being proficient with it. Not something I want to do in the early morning hours while trying to remain silent.

So Im going to stick with my full length helium’s and a three step aider and use a cheater (WE) step between each stick. I started this method last year and have refined it to where I am getting a consistent 27’ at the top of my third stick/platform. I then use the one WE step that I have been using as a cheater step to compliment my platform. Thus giving me a platform, top of stick, and a wild edge stepp to walk around the tree if needed.

So to answer the question as to the aider, I prefer one three step aider that I carry with me as I go up. The aider is not one continuous loop. At the top, both straps have a loop sewn onto itself therefore allowing it to be placed on each side of the middle steps of the helium’s.

Of all the public land climbing methods I’ve tried, I still go back to my sticks each year when hunting spikes and bolts are not allowed.

I’m with Scott F on the knaider and swaider method. Some will find it useful but for me I have trouble with setting that step that high and being proficient with it. Not something I want to do in the early morning hours while trying to remain silent.

Trouble setting the WE Stepp at chin height? Why? I could understand trouble tying it above your head, but with the KN/SW you tie the Stepp at chin height. It's super easy.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Trouble setting the WE Stepp at chin height? Why? I could understand trouble tying it above your head, but with the KN/SW you tie the Stepp at chin height. It's super easy.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I was trying for slightly above my head. Reason is, I can set my versa button at that height and still have the length of step above the button to add to my height. I’m getting 9’ per step and was trying to get close to that.

I was trying for slightly above my head. Reason is, I can set my versa button at that height and still have the length of step above the button to add to my height. I’m getting 9’ per step and was trying to get close to that.
That makes sense. I agree you get more height using sticks. However, 5 wild edge steps are lighter, and more importantly to me, waaaaay less bulky, than 3 LW sticks. Something to consider.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I have 10 homemade WE steps and after seeing and trying the new knot method I am going to have to give them a try again. I think I will start with just a knaider. With 6 I should be able to get to 21'ish feet. That will be plenty high 99% of the time.

I bought a set of muddy pros this year to go with my 1st saddle. 15' seems to be be the highest I will be able to get with them. I generally like to be 20' or so with a lock on depending on cover. What is the easiest aider setup to get some extra height out of my setup? I am leaning towards a single movable aider, but wanted to hear yalls opinions.

I think a single movable aider is your best bet. If will easily get you to 20 feet.

I ran an aider attached to the bottom of my sticks for a cpl years and it worked but this year I will run a single aider that you just girth hitch around your foot and put over the top of the stick. To me it’s way easier then trying to get your foot in the aider on the way down in the dark

Is the same as the DaveT one I have read about. Is there an original post to look at it. That may solve my issue.

Back