• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Easiest system for newbies?

I know that the emphasis should be on "best" instead of "easiest," but I'd think it would be safest to go with something ready-made versus self-engineered... until I know what I'm missing or feel like I need. What climbing equipment helped shorten your learning curve?

I think the easiest is sticks as well. Get sticks with a good linesmans belt and you are set to climb.

I recommend the hawk helium’s. They’re very popular for a reason IMO. Slim and fairly light or at least on par with most of what’s out there. Double steps that fold up make them nice and compact to walk with. My favorite part is the suction cup system they have to hold them together. Frikin amazing when climbing and attaching as you go up. They’re a reasonable price too. I recommend checking them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that the emphasis should be on "best" instead of "easiest," but I'd think it would be safest to go with something ready-made versus self-engineered... until I know what I'm missing or feel like I need. What climbing equipment helped shorten your learning curve?

Public or private land? Easiest and safest all things considered would be fixed ladder with lifeline. That's a good option for private land but not good for run and gun or public.

For public, sticks are probably easiest conceptually but SRT is safer in my opinion.

Public or private land? Easiest and safest all things considered would be fixed ladder with lifeline. That's a good option for private land but not good for run and gun or public.

For public, sticks are probably easiest conceptually but SRT is safer in my opinion.

Yes, great clarification!

Agreed that SRT is safer once learned but the learning curve can leave a guy hanging (pun intended).

Your question is the most often overlooked aspect for new saddle hunters. Most new guys are concerned about comfort or "can I shoot out of it". Actually hunting from the saddle itself is the easiest change compared to ascending the tree. I know personally it was the hardest part of the transition for me. The easiest/most conventional is a set of sticks. However, you should also be evaluating why you're looking to change to saddle hunting For me it was to reduce the bulk/noise of my equipment walking through the woods. For me a stack of sticks just wasn't going to achieve that. I ended up, so far anyway, with one sticking but I realize its not for everyone.

My best suggestion is to evaluate what you want to achieve and search around for climbing methods that best fit your needs. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions or you could end up like me, buying fifteen ways to climb a tree and only using one. :)

That's a fair point. SRT is simple and easy if you have a climbing or rappelling background of some sort. Probably not so easy and maybe not even so safe if you don't.
The hardest part about rappelling is figuring out what you need. Had some time to kill so I have been reading up on it here to learn more about it. It is confusing to say the least as there are so many different systems and combinations. Then it seems like alot of people are using parts or whole systems which really aren't in spec. This adds more to the confusion.

I would actually say that is one thing that causes issues when people start looking at going to a saddle. There are so many components and you can interchange alot of them. However some of them don't play well together so you have to watch. You also can't go to a store and look at them. Far different than a hang-on or climber where you basically have a few options which is basically size, weight and costs and about the only changes to them is adding a bow holder or something like that.

I will be almost exclusively on public land. So the stick option (Muddy and Hawk seem to be getting the nod here) would likely be the best. I don't have a climbing background, so that would be like learning Sandscrit along with Greek for me. Thank you gents!

I went through a bunch of methods learning from july to now. I have tried wild edge stepps, DRT, SRT, squirrel steps, single stick, & bolts. What I do now is either single stick up and rappel down or bolts. The first time you bolt a tree it's tough, but the first time you single stick it's tough.

Bolts are heavier but way more compact.

I tried to use silent approach ROS, I tried to use Squirrel steps as a ROS, but now I bolt up, and hang my ridge runner.

Your best bet is to meet someone with a bunch of options and see what works for you.

SRT would be perfect, but I cant throw it correctly when and where I need to. If you know the property and have a few places you want to hang set up a couple preset loops in the off season so you can just show up, climb, and be set.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I will be almost exclusively on public land. So the stick option (Muddy and Hawk seem to be getting the nod here) would likely be the best. I don't have a climbing background, so that would be like learning Sandscrit along with Greek for me. Thank you gents!

Probably not as hard as Greek but I'd recommend a hands on rappelling class. The internet is good for a lot of things but obviously has its limits.

For a light load and packability, WE steps are hard to beat, IMO. Simple to use, ONCE YOU HAVE PRACTICED WITH THEM. I spent a fair amount of time just going up to about half hunting height because they do require some time to get good at using and building confidence. But now, I can't see myself doing it any other way. Disclaimer: it is the first and only method I have tried in this first season as a saddle hunter. So I don't have experience in the other methods. I'm just saying that I am very satisfied with this method. Whatever you decide on, take time to get well aquatinted with your gear, and allow enough time when going out hunting so that you're not rushing to get up the tree. Rushing can get you into trouble with anything. Welcome to the order of diaper monkeys! You're gonna love it!

I couldn’t disagree more with this statement. If you really think this way then you don’t know what you don’t know. Thinking this will get you stuck hanging up a tree or worse plummeting to the ground.
No it won’t. I may be dumb but I fully research something that that affects my safety prior to doing it. My point was there is a lot of systems and ropes out there and you have to really watch what you use. Some of the advice given on here is honestly pretty bad as people are using equipment that isn’t in spec or using it incorrectly.

What state are you in? Bolts could be legal on public. When I moved to NC, I assumed they weren’t legal. Years later, I stumbled on a post on a forum that stated they were using bolts on public and they are indeed legal as long as they aren’t left in the tree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back