• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

EDP gripes

John 35

My edp has developed a popping noise where the bolt connects the post to the platform. I tried tightening the bolt and it didn’t help. I think the post has warped a little bit where the holes go through it. I also discovered the stand off had developed some play but I was able to fix it by putting a piece of strap between the post and stand off. Also had to glue the plastic piece back on the bottom of the post on at one point. Can’t say I’d recommend buying this platform at this point. If anyone has a potential fix for the popping noise I’m all ears.

How long have you had it? How many sits?
Paging @boyne bowhunter as I know he used his a lot this fall.
I have a mission and haven't experienced anything similar with it. Haven't seen anyone else complain about either of these.

I’ve used it every sit this season, maybe around 30 or so. Liked it pretty well until recently. I thought I had fixed it when I tightened the bolt, but I’m hunting in it right now and I keep getting a loud pop if I shift my weight to much.

Used mine hard this year, 70+ sits (225 hrs) plus a lot of offseason setups for shooting from the saddle. Not a peep out of mine. I'm interested in what the failure mode is though. Can you post pics when you get a chance?

Used mine hard this year, 70+ sits (225 hrs) plus a lot of offseason setups for shooting from the saddle. Not a peep out of mine. I'm interested in what the failure mode is though. Can you post pics when you get a chance?
I’ll take it apart when I get home and take a pic if I find the problem. I’m guessing the holes in the post wallowed out a little bit.

Popping was a common problem on the early Predator too if I recall. The fix was to lube that bolt up with a bunch of bow string wax.

What bowhuntr said, I had the same problem with my predator popping when I shifted weight. I took out the bolt holding the platform to the post and rubbed bow wax on the bolt, nut, and all over the washers that sit in that spot. Not sure if that will fix your problem since it’s an EDP but it may be a starting point.

It keeps telling me “file is to large” when I try to post a pic. The hole in the post has become wallowed out.

It keeps telling me “file is to large” when I try to post a pic. The hole in the post has become wallowed out.
Screenshot the picture on your phone and post the screenshot. It will be a smaller size photo

Following. Had my first sit with the new EDP tonight. Loved the size and didn’t experience any noise

It’s only threaded on one side. The threaded side is in better shape than the none threaded side which has become somewhat oval shaped. I got it as a gift but I know it was ordered from the trophy line web site. I got it last spring right when they were released. I can see tiny flecks of metal around the holes from the metal wearing away.

I would contact them. Something seems off. The one side does look ovalish and has a bur on the one side. Can't hurt to ask. Confirm someone else's they are suppose to be both smooth. You could re drill the hole round and get a slightly larger bolt. But I would ask them first. Always possible one didn't drill out perfect from manufacturing. Hopefully they take care of it..

I doubt it's threaded. Mostly likely the threaded end of the bolt wore into the thru-hole on that side of the post.

Don't know why they put such a giant chamfer on the holes through that post. That gives less material to support the bolt and thus will wear out much quicker.

I know how I would fix it but I have access to a tig welder and can weld aluminum. :cool: I would bore out the holes to a larger size and weld in a solid piece of aluminum round stock that goes all the way through then re-drill the bolt hole. A little silicone grease occasionally added to the bolt would help keep it silent and prevent premature wear.

I doubt it's threaded. Mostly likely the threaded end of the bolt wore into the thru-hole on that side of the post.

Don't know why they put such a giant chamfer on the holes through that post. That gives less material to support the bolt and thus will wear out much quicker.

I know how I would fix it but I have access to a tig welder and can weld aluminum. :cool: I would bore out the holes to a larger size and weld in a solid piece of aluminum round stock that goes all the way through then re-drill the bolt hole. A little silicone grease occasionally added to the bolt would help keep it silent and prevent premature wear.
I hadn’t considered that causing it to appear threaded I bet your right. Unfortunately I don’t know welding.

Have you contacted them about it? Just curious if you got a response back from them.
They offered to replace it. I’ve ran a zip tie through the bolt hole along with the bolt to eliminate the wiggle room causing all the noise. It’s quiet for now but I doubt it will last. But the season ends tomorrow for me anyway.

Back