• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Eliminate wobble in Double Steps on Lonewolf stick?

Stevey220

Replaced all my single steps with doublestep from DanO. After painting and mounting, they felt solid but after several uses they are starting to feel a bit wobbly. Has anyone else had this issue and managed to resolve? If so, how? Thought about JB weld but would like the option to be able to remove them later if needed. Thnx.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Replaced all my single steps with doublestep from DanO. After painting and mounting, they felt solid but after several uses they are starting to feel a bit wobbly. Has anyone else had this issue and managed to resolve? If so, how? Thought about JB weld but would like the option to be able to remove them later if needed. Thnx.

Did you buy the special bolt for LW sticks from @DanO? I think it’s required for his doubles.

The original LW bolts don't normally have enough thread to tighten down at all. The issue is likely related to not having the plastic/nylon washers in the right spot. Since the standoffs rotate, it causes the bolt to loosen. Need the plastic washer under the bolt head to allow the rotation.

Cool. I will add the nylon washer then. Mine are starting to do the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi DanO, thanks for chiming in. So I should put a nylon washer between the bolt head and the doublestep? I will give it a try. BTW, just got my 2 dump pouches from you. Soooooo much better than the ones I was using ordered from Amazon.

Hi DanO, thanks for chiming in. So I should put a nylon washer between the bolt head and the doublestep? I will give it a try. BTW, just got my 2 dump pouches from you. Soooooo much better than the ones I was using ordered from Amazon.

Yep, just re-use the LW washers and put them back on the same way they came off. You can eliminate the one between the step and stick though as it doesn't rotate there.

Glad you like the pouches! I used the ones from Amazon on one or two hunts at the most before took them off and made fleece pouches last year.

Errrrrr... special bolts?

DanO helped you out BUT just in case you decide to peek:
Sorry I was late on the reply. Good luck!

DanO helped you out BUT just in case you decide to peek:
Sorry I was late on the reply. Good luck!
Thanks for the link.

DanO, tried adding the washer but still getting some play. I did notice that the one's with the most play were the one's where the nut had backed out some from on the bolt. Probably from the standoff rotating. I'll order some of your bolts and give it a try.

Thanks for the link.

DanO, tried adding the washer but still getting some play. I did notice that the one's with the most play were the one's where the nut had backed out some from on the bolt. Probably from the standoff rotating. I'll order some of your bolts and give it a try.

If the nut is backing off the nylon is whooped. You should get some new nylocks

@Markeje @Stevey220 I chatted with @DanO this morning in a private message with the same issue. I ordered flat and angled double steps for my LW stick to include his recommended bolt. I reused the washers that came with the LW sticks and tightened down as much as I could. There's a small variance within the tube of the stick that's causing the 'wiggle'

@Markeje @Stevey220 I chatted with @DanO this morning in a private message with the same issue. I ordered flat and angled double steps for my LW stick to include his recommended bolt. I reused the washers that came with the LW sticks and tightened down as much as I could. There's a small variance within the tube of the stick that's causing the 'wiggle'
Thanks for the info. I suspected that the lonewolf tubes having rounded edges had something to do with it aswell. I'm thinking that when the freshly painted steps were first installed, the extra layer of paint helped to "fill the gap" and made it feel firm but over time the paint woreout exposing the gaps again. Hench my original idea of using JB weld but I really don't want to go there if I don't have to. I think I will experiment with some different types of silicon adhesives or liquid gasket materials to see how that does. I already placed my order with DanO for the new bolts/nutz so I'll go ahead and swap those too while I'm at it. I'll pickup some new 1/4" nylon washers aswell.

Wrap the tube with electrical tape, duct tape, stealthstrip to a if it up. Some tubes have slight variance in diameter I test fit all my tubes before drilling and did notice some sides were noticeable narrower than others. I’ve got a very tiny bit of play but haven’t wrapped sticks yet I’m sure I can get rid of most of it.

Wrap the tube with electrical tape, duct tape, stealthstrip to a if it up. Some tubes have slight variance in diameter I test fit all my tubes before drilling and did notice some sides were noticeable narrower than others. I’ve got a very tiny bit of play but haven’t wrapped sticks yet I’m sure I can get rid of most of it.
I just received my stealth strips in the mail yesterday, I'm sure that the added 'padding' on the strips will remove any 'play/wobble' I've been experiencing.

I just received my stealth strips in the mail yesterday, I'm sure that the added 'padding' on the strips will remove any 'play/wobble' I've been experiencing.
Can you please provide an update on how it turns out with the stealth strip?

@Stevey220 installed the stealth strips tonight on my LW sticks with both an angled double step on bottom and a flat double step on top. This seemed to be the right amount of padding to fill the gap that was creating the wobble. I’ll be field testing these on a hunt Friday evening to be sure.

Awesome. Thanks and please let us know how it goes on Friday.

It'll still wobble with the stealth strips. Use the bottom hole where the original lone wolf step stop used to be, mark the double step, drill the double step and use the original lone wolf round hex bolt as your bottom bolt to stop wobble. You'll have a half moon shape on the bottom of the double step where the round hex head fits into when tight. Still doesn't completely eliminate it but at least they won't completely roatate if they become a little loose with the 1 bolt. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
It'll still wobble with the stealth strips. Use the bottom hole where the original lone wolf step stop used to be, mark the double step, drill the double step and use the original lone wolf round hex bolt as your bottom bolt to stop wobble. You'll have a half moon shape on the bottom of the double step where the round hex head fits into when tight. Still doesn't completely eliminate it but at least they won't completely roatate if they become a little loose with the 1 bolt. Hope that makes sense.

Picture would help if possible

Back