• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ESS Saddle Question

jgleas114

SH Member
I love the saddle. It can be kind of a mess pulling it out of a pack but super comfortable especially for ROS.

I do have one question. I find when I walk the panels separate and one ends up sagging at knee level. I am concerned that sagging panel picking up a branch and making a bunch of noise. Am I do something wrong? Has anyone rigged some kind of tie?

I used to clip the panels together with a carribeaner the little clips that are on the sides are not worth a damn if you ask me
Edit: my ess was my favorite saddle and I just sold it (already regret it) on lol reason I chose my method over the ess was metal free and it’s easier to wear in. If it werent for that I’d still be in my ess. I was actually going to try and do away with the d loops and diy some bridge loops out of 8mm but I don’t really have time for all that jazz

Last edited:
I got tired of mine being all twisted up and glued and sewed a pc of cloth to completely cover one side, actually making it a one panel.

I always clip mine together with a carabiner when not wearing it. When it’s time to walk in, I pull out the ESS, take off carabiner and put it on. I have an adjustable amsteel bridge and I can sinch it way down. If you don’t have an easily adjustable bridge you can use a bungee cord or something to pull the D rings together. That’s what stops the sag.

I use a single 2 inch clip and sew it in so I don’t lose it, I overlap the panels. Then I use an adjustable amsteel bridge and tighten it down completely. No issues since I did that.

I use an orange nite ize to tie the panels together when walking. When I start climbing and need to separate the panels I just pull it off and stuff it in a pocket or throw it on the ground. The other thing that massively helped walking with it was a tip someone posted on here. If you tie two pieces of bungee near the front you can take a s biner and attach the two like a waist belt. It works really well to cinch it up and you can walk with it for miles.

Back