• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Evo vs Kestrel

For me the kestrel is much simpler to use. Less bulk and more comfortable. The evo has so many adjustments it takes forever to get it right.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't have a kestral, and yes the evo does have alot of adjustments, but that is its selling point. Once you have it dialed in, it feels perfect. I have a TL as a backup, that I like to use with my bulkier winter clothes, so I don't mess with my evo adjustments. From what I see, the kestral is easier to put on, but there is not as much adjustability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have both the Evo and Kestrel..Both are comfy , everyone makes the adjustments on the Evo a much bigger deal than it is. Your bridge , tether and platform was more an issue on comfort than the saddle. I tried the seat platform and I can not get comfortable in either saddle but a ring of ameristeps around the tree and I can sit all day. Im 6’ 180 with a 32 waist , the Evo I just tighten all the adjustments and lock them down with electrical tape and to me more comfortable than the kestrel. The Evo is great all the way until it gets cold and you need layers to stay warm , the waist belt does not help with heavy coats. The kestrel does not interfere with a heavy coat. Both saddles are easy to walk in and also work well with hip wadders for swamp hunting. Also the “D” loops on the Evo work much better than the linesman belt loops on the kestrel , I actually use the main loops the bridge attaches to on the kestrel for my linesman belt. Im very happy I purchased both. Now if new tribe puts “ D” loops on the kestrel I will buy another lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both the Evo and Kestrel..Both are comfy , everyone makes the adjustments on the Evo a much bigger deal than it is. Your bridge , tether and platform was more an issue on comfort than the saddle. I tried the seat platform and I can not get comfortable in either saddle but a ring of ameristeps around the tree and I can sit all day. Im 6’ 180 with a 32 waist , the Evo I just tighten all the adjustments and lock them down with electrical tape and to me more comfortable than the kestrel. The Evo is great all the way until it gets cold and you need layers to stay warm , the waist belt does not help with heavy coats. The kestrel does not interfere with a heavy coat. Both saddles are easy to walk in and also work well with hip wadders for swamp hunting. Also the “D” loops on the Evo work much better than the linesman belt loops on the kestrel , I actually use the main loops the bridge attaches to on the kestrel for my linesman belt. Im very happy I purchased both. Now if new tribe puts “ D” loops on the kestrel I will buy another lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great post. I agree!

I had both the kestrel and the evo. I sold the evo to a friend and bought the kestrel. It's not as easy to one stick, or srt climb with the kestrel as the evo. It wants to ride up on you pretty bad. This also happens when you go to rappel down. The linemans loops aren't as good. Comfort is honestly about the same for me but the evo will fit a broader range of people. The kestrel has more attachment points but you cant attach as much weight to it without it sagging. The evo has the waist belt to support a lot of weight. Really the only thing the kestrel does better is pack up smaller and weigh less. If I had it to do over I would probably just keep the evo. Not that i dont like the kestrel, but my evo did everything better besides fit into my backpack. Which can be negated by just wearing it into the woods. I also think the kestrel works better with a heavy jacket on. With the evo your jacket rides up out of the waist band or bunches up inside of it. Also the evo had a bit of built in back support. I spent most of the day trying out climbing methods and switching between the two saddles. Kind of regret selling my evo to a my friend.

The thing I like about the Kestrel is the buckle on the legs and waist. That makes it so easy to put on and take off. It is also easy to dial in for comfort.

The thing I like about the Kestrel is the buckle on the legs and waist. That makes it so easy to put on and take off. It is also easy to dial in for comfort.
That's the one thing I left out. The kestrel is so much easier to put on. Don't have to do a pole dance to get it up to your waist.

Last edited:
Back