• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Expected Time to Setup

JeffSki

How long should I expect to take between the time I get to the tree and when I unhook the linemans belt to start hunting? My goal for this offseason is efficiency and organization in the process.

Last edited:
Think of it more about silence, efficiency, and safety. You can always get there earlier to give yourself more time, so don't EVER rush. My current time is an average of 15 minutes, after I pick a tree, including prep to climb/climb/setup. I will say that I have practiced a LOT...

Think of it more about silence, efficiency, and safety. You can always get there earlier to give yourself more time, so don't EVER rush. My current time is an average of 15 minutes, after I pick a tree, including prep to climb/climb/setup. I will say that I have practiced a LOT...
Thanks! I did one practice climb and then took the new setup hunting. By the time I figured everything out, I was closer to an hour. The good thing is I have about 9 months to practice.

Despite all the practice I still couldn't get set up in under 30 minutes, but like @bowhunthard88 said, some things just aren't worth rushing. I am lucky to do my hunting on private, so I had a tree preset with screw-in steps that I could use if I was short on time. I could get up in that in less than 15 minutes. For me, setting those climbing sticks quietly and securely took the most time, it's just a lot to fiddle with.

A recent thread covering your exact question. There's a lot of good responses in here.

A recent thread covering your exact question. There's a lot of good responses in here.

Thanks! I'll head over there.

Despite all the practice I still couldn't get set up in under 30 minutes, but like @bowhunthard88 said, some things just aren't worth rushing. I am lucky to do my hunting on private, so I had a tree preset with screw-in steps that I could use if I was short on time. I could get up in that in less than 15 minutes. For me, setting those climbing sticks quietly and securely took the most time, it's just a lot to fiddle with.
That was a question that crossed my mind. For my own land buying some cheap sticks and having a couple preset locations. Would save me from
Buying more stands.
This will be my first year in the saddle. So I’m excited. My tethrd order should be here Wednesday. Then I just need some aiders.

Superb advice.
A hunter should NEVER be in a rush when climbing or descending a tree. I'm sure not every single last accident I have ever been in or witnessed was being in a rush a contributing factor, but every last one I can remember it was.
Think about it. How many times when you screwed up doing something especially something labor intensive and time was a serious factor did you screw up at least partially if not mostly because you allowed yourself to become distracted and loose focus because you were in a big hurry and worked faster then your normal capabilities allow for.

Assumption and distraction are the mother and father of ALL screw ups.

Last edited:
Back