• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How long does it take you to set up?

Mitchell

I know this is not a race, and that safety comes first. But since I am a rookie this year, I would like to get some idea how long it takes you on average from the time you get to the tree until you are completely ready to go; that is bow in hanger and loaded, all gear where you want it, and ready to sit. Right now I would say it takes me close to 40 minutes. That seems slow to me. Curious.

Thanks

I feel like I’ve gotten pretty fast with my setup but I wish I was even faster. Cut out a lot of extras stuff I thought I needed but really didn’t. Haven’t timed it exactly but I’m pretty sure it’s about 12-15 min from arriving at tree to everything up and hanging (including my carcass).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Less than 20, just depends faster with sticks than bolts (unless it’s predrilled) then less than 10. Just stay safe & work out your system (you may have more than 1) shoot for 1 trip up tree w/o a lot of time at the bottom of the tree.

My first year as well, and the first few times was easily 40 + in the dark.
Last hang was probably about 20. Depending on the tree and how cold.

I go slow and using the one-stick climbing method I can usually be setup within 20-25 minutes or so. It takes longer if it’s colder weather and I’m having to add layers and such. If the tree is funky or I’m having to pass branches then it can take a bit longer.

Hmmmm I'm actually pretty curious about this. I haven't timed myself but it feels like 5-8 minutes on average.

I haven't timed myself but would guess 20 min tops. That's base of tree to arrow nocked, bow hanging on hanger, and release on. The trees around here are not great so I always have to go around branches. The plus side is that I generally don't have to get my platform higher than about 15-18ft and I'm in the middle of the canopy, well concealed.

Really depends on the tree. If it’s a straight shot up with no branches I can get to 20’ in about 10 mins. A crooked tree with a lot of branches can take 30 mins to get to 20’ (just using 20’ as a benchmark, I’ve hunted anywhere from 2’-30’ in a saddle).

Assuming you are timing from the moment you reach the base of the tree to the time you're at height, setup and ready to hunt.

From walking up to tree to hanging around 24 feet up with an arrow nocked and hunting, 30 minutes if I use all 12 steps for that height. It doesn't seem nearly that long though. I'm always shocked by it. 4 sticks with a CAYG aider was around 20 minutes. I go at a steady deliberate pace using a lineman's belt and tether. No idea how fast I could do it if I was really in a hurry and not using the tether (could probably close to cut it in half). I could cut time by wearing my saddle and knee pads in, having my ropes already attached to my saddle, and have my steps bags on the outside of my pack (but you trade time for comfort walking in and not getting hung up on stuff).

Very interesting thread. I think i am around the 15 to 20 min range but have not timed myself. This is for no sticking or DRT climbing including throwing the line. Could be a lot longer if i get my line stuck,ask me how i know...

Climbing with 4 rope mod short helium sticks and predator platform, I’m at about 15 to 20 minutes ground to hunting. Farting around with the sticks (pulling them apart, hanging them from my saddle,etc) seems to take forever. I’m planning to start one sticking to see if it speeds things up.

Yep, that's a good sign though. You are so single minded and in the moment (to be safe) that your perception of time is altered.
that's honestly one of my favorite things about hunting and fishing. time flies when you're having fun, something about that type of concentration really works for me. i spent 10 hrs in the woods today, was surprised how much time had gone by so quickly. now... would i have traded that for some chances at a a deer... heck yeah! but i think a lot of you will understand what I'm struggling to describe.

just like shooting, the old phrase- slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Very interesting thread. I think i am around the 15 to 20 min range but have not timed myself. This is for no sticking or DRT climbing including throwing the line. Could be a lot longer if i get my line stuck,ask me how i know...

I also DRT climb and I think I’m about the same time frame as you but it all depends on my throw ball skills that day lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back