• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

F in chat ... Dropped my new bow out of the tree and broke the sight..

Newb2hanging

Such a bummer. It was looking to be such a good morning. I got into my spot nice and quiet, didn't jump anything or spook anything. I got up to my platform, pulled my pack up that I had my bow attached to, was trying to get it unclipped from the carabiner. I was struggling a bit to get it off (hate those damn cheap ass carabiners) and couldn't get it, so I pinched my bow between my knees so i could throw the bag over my should and get two hands on the bow. well i guess i had the carabiner partially off, because when i did that it unclipped. i guess i didn't have a great bite on the bow between my legs and..... away it went into the dark abyss. im guessing the sight took the brunt of the fall, it snapped off at one of the adjuster bolts. i was so upset.. and just to ice the cake, when i was pulling out of my buddy's driveway where i hunt one of the nice bucks i had one camera was crossing the road headed towards my spot. so frustrating...

Moving forward i think im going to start just using a separate line clipped to my harness to bring my bow up rather than clipping it to my pack and bringing both up at the same time. it seems to be too much of a hassle to wrestle the pack up and get the bow off of it for me. Anyone know of any good style of carabiners that have more of a smooth lip so as to not get caught on everything?

Hope y'all had a better morning than I did.

That sucks. I run two ropes. One for my pack, one for my weapon. All works well until they get Tangled up. Yesterday I pulled my pack, and it started to bring my cross bow with it. Then it came loose and dropped some. I don't think it was to far. I do need to shoot it again to make sure everything is okay.
But the other day it saved me the other way. I one sticked up the tree and use my rappel rope to climb and tie my pack onto and had to get around a limb that did something funny. Some how I ended up running my rope back around the trunk and under a limb that was laying across. So there was no way I was gonna get my pack up the tree. Luckily when I grabbed my bow, the pack got Tangled in it, and I was able to bring the pack up with it. So lucked out there. So sometimes two lines can save you. Not always.

That's a bummer bro, hopefully you can get replacement sight quick. I like to climb with just my pack on my back and use my dynaglide retrieval line to pull my bow up once I'm settled in.

Sorry to hear about your sight. I also wear my pack up and use a separate pull up cord for my bow. Friday morning though I had the keychain carabiner on the end of it pull off my bow sling when I started to pull it up. I had to break out my grapple to retrieve my bow. That was just one of the many comedy of errors that befell my Friday morning. Some days it feel like I was meant to stay in bed. :tearsofjoy:

My buddy just texted me yesterday and said he was adjusting his stand and his bow fell out of his bow mount and his limb broke when it hit the ground. This is a tough time if the year to recover and get set up after something like that happens. That’s a rough situation. We actually had a hunt planned next week together we just canceled because of it.

That stinks. I'm sorry this happened.

As you progress in your journey, keep an eye for where things like this can occur. Continue to improve your method and then do it the same way everytime.

I have everything in my pack the same way each morning I hunt. And I do the same order of operations every time.

As far as this situation goes:

I climb with my pack on my back and the bow on the ground by itself. The pull up line is attached to the bow and the pull up line feeds from my pack while I climb. Once my platform is set, I put my pack on the tree. I have 8 or so feet of paracord tied to the top loop of my pack and a nite ize cam jam on it. The whole cord cam jam setup is stowed in a top zipper pocket with the cord sneaking out the side of the closed zipper. This allows the bow to be attached independently of my accessory cord and is the ticket.

Once the pack is on the tree. I get my accessory strap out of the pack and put it on the tree. I then pull the bow up and hang it and my quiver, i remove, both to the accessory strap.

When getting down, I do all this in reverse with the exception that I drop my pull up line next to the bow so that when I climb down I am not attached to the pull up line.

Not to make light of your misfortune, but I could tell a similar story at least a dozen times and is why I went back to recurve's and longbows in the late eighties after a 5-6 year affair with sight pins, wheels, cables and allen wrenches. Never looked back.

This was long before the age of pro-shops or the internet, so we had to figure out all the tweaks on our own through a lot of experimentation and frustration. As a result hating on the technology came easier for many of us that started with trad bows already.

Now I can un-string my bow and toss it on the ground from the stand if want or needed to. Not recommended but can be done without much risk of damage. Similarly, I can restring my bow from the stand if need be. Hasn't ever happened but doable regardless. If I forget or drop my tab I can easily and accurately shoot a few shots with bare fingers. This has happened a lot, but no big deal with a little practice. Most hunting trad bow setups are maybe 20% in mass weight of a typical tricked out compound too. So anyone looking to go lighter in the woods, trad can drop your load by several pounds. That's nearly the delta between a conventional and saddle platform. Something to think about...

If it were up to me I would rename the sport of "traditional bowhunting" to "practical bowhunting", which I think is a far more accurate and representative depiction.

The down side to trad is it takes longer to be proficient, meaning you have to practice shooting a lot more and most peoples practical range on game is limited to 18-20yds, even a little less for some. In reality though, most deer are shot within those ranges anyway. So its not that much of a sacrifice. Shooting trad bows is just plain kid-like fun too and who doesn't like that. :)

Sorry to hear about your sight. I also wear my pack up and use a separate pull up cord for my bow. Friday morning though I had the keychain carabiner on the end of it pull off my bow sling when I started to pull it up. I had to break out my grapple to retrieve my bow. That was just one of the many comedy of errors that befell my Friday morning. Some days it feel like I was meant to stay in bed. :tearsofjoy:

weird crap happens, i hate it!

last week,my pull up cord got jammed up and lifted my bow a few feet when climbing, i noticed and lowered it back down by removing where my pull up had wrapped around part of my pack

well, this moved my bow's top cam over top of a broken glass bottle i had seen but it was like 5 feet from my bow, so i wasn't worried

when i pulled the bow up, the top cam raked right over the edge of that broken glass and put chatter marks all over the cam

thankfully, the glass didn't cut my string and the damage is superficial to the cam....but i hate that crud...looked at it several times and wasn't happy

sorry to hear that. I had that happen to me once when I was pulling up my pack/rifle combo and they both fell AND I was in a climber.

I always wear my pack when I climb now. And then pull up my bow/gun. I always make sure I have my HYS/hero clip or whatever weapon holder I'm using, already set and ready to receive the weapon before I pull it up. I secure the weapon to the gear holder and then unclip the pull up rope.

hope that helps

I only tie my bow. No metal connections to my bow at all.

yep

cord through bottom cam then girth hitch to stabilizer, my stab has a flared end so it cant slip off

also, i don't remove cord until bow is on gear strap

always remember to remove or could derail cam at shot

Brand new bow not 2 months old, 2019 Vertix fully loaded, hunted one morning and didn't see a thing.
Lowering my bow with a rope that had that orange tie thing...the tie broke with the bow about 10' from the ground o_Oo_Oo_O I watched it bounce. Took to the bow shop after looking it over, and had them check it out also...nothing seen, took a few shots in the shop before leaving... shooting fine.

I hope eveything else checks out on your bow and all it was is the sight.

I pull up my bow very last thing....vest/backpacks worn while climbing and my pull up rope is attached to that...vest/pack is hung and adjusted, bow arm is set. Tether is set and I'm adjusted to where I need to be. Then I'll deal with pulling up my bow....gotta fish it thru branches majority of the time....I've been using the D-loop this year vs thru the cam and I like that better but use the top cam if I know I'm going to be climbing thru branches...once I pull the bow up I lay it across my bridge and disconnect, pull an arrow and nock, then set it on the bow arm. Same routine every time...

That sucks. I run two ropes. One for my pack, one for my weapon. All works well until they get Tangled up. Yesterday I pulled my pack, and it started to bring my cross bow with it. Then it came loose and dropped some. I don't think it was to far. I do need to shoot it again to make sure everything is okay.
But the other day it saved me the other way. I one sticked up the tree and use my rappel rope to climb and tie my pack onto and had to get around a limb that did something funny. Some how I ended up running my rope back around the trunk and under a limb that was laying across. So there was no way I was gonna get my pack up the tree. Luckily when I grabbed my bow, the pack got Tangled in it, and I was able to bring the pack up with it. So lucked out there. So sometimes two lines can save you. Not always.
Yeah, I think I’m just going to clip my bag into my climbing rope and then just clip some paracord onto my harness somewhere and pull my bow up with that. Hopefully won’t have to Many issues with tangling, but if so I may just start wearing the pack up when I climb. Just a little extra to huff up the tree using DRT. We’ll see what works out I suppose, but wrestling both up at the same time doesn’t seem to be the answer for me lol

That's a bummer bro, hopefully you can get replacement sight quick. I like to climb with just my pack on my back and use my dynaglide retrieval line to pull my bow up once I'm settled in.
Just got back from the bow shop with a new sight. A little too windy at the moment to get it dialed in much past 20, but I should have it ready to go tomorrow.

Yeah idk, that may be the way to go moving forward. Just don’t want anymore weight I have to climb up tree with then I have to. I climb DRT/MRS. so if I can avoid it I will but that would be the most simple solution for sure

Back