• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fanny packs

State forest hunter86

Any of you guys just use a fanny pack? I was thinking for early season hunts when I don't bring much gear or sit all day it would be plenty big. And reduce some weight and back sweat when it's hot!

I did for early season hunts when using my climber. Not sure what I will use next year with the saddle. Here are some cheap ones on Amazon.

I’ve used them as well. I have a Tenzing 720 if you are looking for one.

I’ve been looking at some with shoulder straps, but I can’t figure out what the advantage would be over an actual backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used one all season in Ohio for years. I upgraded to this HUGE sling bag :)
(Predator for size comparison)
I just don't need much with me to kill deer

Screenshot_20191212-211905_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191212-212115_Gallery.jpg

I used one all season in Ohio for years. I upgraded to this HUGE sling bag :)
(Predator for size comparison)
I just don't need much with me to kill deer

View attachment 21928View attachment 21929

I use the same sling pack. I prefer sling over fanny pack. I already have the saddle around my waste so I’d rather not add another thing. Could always line the saddle with pouches.

I’m using an old Kathy Kelly fleece fannie pack for the essentials (hunting license, gear hanger, compass, range finder) and can hunt with just that along with saddle, climbing steps and bow. Weighs about 1 lb loaded.
3C7803A7-0762-4AB4-839B-6CA782A12B34.jpeg

I used a Badands Monster fanny pack for years but now I use the Predator pack from Tethrd.

I used a Badands Monster fanny pack for years but now I use the Predator pack from Tethrd.

That’s the one I’ve been looking at. Can you access the rear and sides without removing the shoulder straps?

That’s the one I’ve been looking at. Can you access the rear and sides without removing the shoulder straps?

The side pockets are not a problem. The main compartment in the back I can't open it while I have it on but I'm not as flexible as I use to be.

I used a only a fanny pack on all but two hunts this year. I love not having to take a backpack. Probably a few days I should have taken a backpack to pack cloths in to keep from sweating but I never got cold. Bolts, drill, squirrel steps, LB, tether, nipper, and milkweed go on saddle. Tag, pen, light, call, battery pack, phone, and folding saw go in fanny pack.

I have the Monster fanny pack and I love it!! You can always remove the shoulder straps and use it like a regular fanny pack also!!! That way you can get to all the pockets but it is not too bad even with the shoulder straps!

I have been using an old cabelas fanny pack for two years now. I have packed everything from WE steps, sticks, platforms and a heater bodysuit with it. The only thing it doesn't do well is pack out all of that stuff and a deer, which is why I bought a an MR Pop Up 28 this fall. If it wasn't for packing out deer I would use the fanny pack over the pop up.

I like this alps outdoors pack. I use it year round because the top lid expands out to a full back pack for cold weather hunts and with it stowed I can cinch it up nicely in warm weather with less gear. I've had it and used it exclusively for about 4 seasons. I've had to sew up a couple rips but at $80 I don't mind a couple small repairs along the way. I can even attach my 3 helium sticks and my saddle to the staps on the back when extended with 1 extra bungee. Haven't had a condition where I havent been able to bring everything I wanted to bring warm, cold, rain or shine. Its quiet and snug to a great fit even with weight. Yesterday I walked about a mile straight up over large loose rock covered in wet leaves loaded down with cold weather gear, sticks and saddle, and everything I needed for a 12 sit in the tree and while it sucked it wasnt because of my pack. Lots of separate storage for organization too.

ALPS OutdoorZ Brushed Pathfinder Hunting Pack, Realtree Edge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062LCKO0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1O58DbY777PYW

Back