• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Field pants

frankp

Feb 3, 2021
So I made a couple pairs of wool field pants. I made this pattern a few years ago and made a cotton pair of field pants for my daughter and a wool pair for me that I hunted in for about 5 years. These two new pairs are lighter weight and intended to replace my nylon hiking pants. One pair with zip-off legs and one pair with full-length legs.

Zip-off in green
20220204_164400(0).jpg

Without the legs
20220204_164520.jpg

Full length in a brown tweed.
20220204_165135.jpg

Attachments

• 20220204_164426.jpg
    20220204_164426.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220204_165138.jpg
    20220204_165138.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 30

woodsdog2

SH Member
Jun 28, 2019
Wow great stuff. Once its consistently cold here in WNY (roughly November 1st onward) I wear wool field pants all season. Quiet and warm. No swoosh, swoosh, swoosh when you walk either. If a briar snaps on your foreleg, no pop sound which alerts anything everywhere.

Reactions: frankp

frankp

Feb 3, 2021
Those are some sweet pant...... I'm more interested in the shirt. That there some hardcore timberpimp
I'm not sure if you're baggin' on me or being sincere. I'll assume sincere ;) Simple tie-dye sunshirt bought at the beach. It gets a lot of use.

Where did you source your material from for this project?
I have a local fabric shop here that sells wool "offcuts" for $12-$15 per yard. It takes about 2 1/3 yards of material to make the zip off pants and just under 2 yards for the full leg pants. I don't know if they sell the wool off-cuts online or not but here's their website. https://gstreetfabrics.com

Wow great stuff. Once its consistently cold here in WNY (roughly November 1st onward) I wear wool field pants all season. Quiet and warm. No swoosh, swoosh, swoosh when you walk either. If a briar snaps on your foreleg, no pop sound which alerts anything everywhere.
Yeah, I much prefer wool to nylon. It's heavier but I'm not slogging deep into the woods when I hunt. These were made for light hiking and backpacking in cool weather and aren't quite durable enough for walking through briars and such. My hunting wool pants are significantly heavier weight.

krub6b

SH Member
Sep 5, 2019
Missouri
I'm not sure if you're baggin' on me or being sincere. I'll assume sincere ;) Simple tie-dye sunshirt bought at the beach. It gets a lot of use.

I have a local fabric shop here that sells wool "offcuts" for $12-$15 per yard. It takes about 2 1/3 yards of material to make the zip off pants and just under 2 yards for the full leg pants. I don't know if they sell the wool off-cuts online or not but here's their website. https://gstreetfabrics.com

Yeah, I much prefer wool to nylon. It's heavier but I'm not slogging deep into the woods when I hunt. These were made for light hiking and backpacking in cool weather and aren't quite durable enough for walking through briars and such. My hunting wool pants are significantly heavier weight.
Are you using the wool suiting material or coating that they list? or is that the difference between your light weight and heavy weight versions?

frankp

Feb 3, 2021
Are you using the wool suiting material or coating that they list? or is that the difference between your light weight and heavy weight versions?
These are both technically "suiting". My heavier-weight hunting ones would be "coating".

Reactions: krub6b

frankp

Feb 3, 2021
Perfect, now I need to find a good template for a set of overalls
If you have a pair you like, just trace them out along the seam lines and add 1/2" all around. Then you can adjust them as necessary once you've got the basic pattern. Good to try taping a newspaper or tissue paper pattern together to see how it fits before sewing with your final fabric. Conversely "Green Pepper patterns" definitely have a ski-bib style pattern and they are dead easy to follow.

Reactions: Horn

krub6b

SH Member
Sep 5, 2019
Missouri
If you have a pair you like, just trace them out along the seam lines and add 1/2" all around. Then you can adjust them as necessary once you've got the basic pattern. Good to try taping a newspaper or tissue paper pattern together to see how it fits before sewing with your final fabric. Conversely "Green Pepper patterns" definitely have a ski-bib style pattern and they are dead easy to follow.
Those green pepper patterns look pretty legit, I'd want to add some cargo pockets to them but that is pretty close to what I'm after. Just enough height to keep drafts out without binding up the midsection too much.